a true crime book club. discussion

2018 Book Club Books > Heaven- spoilers

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy (amy1118) | 5 comments What did you think?

I loved this book. It made me sad, angry, and the hamster scene actually made me nauseous.

I hate Cal. I feel like he could have been a good dude but no! He groomed her and then by the time he touched her she felt so guilty and that she owed him something. Horrible! I had a Cal in my life as a teen and it really angered me to read this character.

Here are some loose ends that I possibly missed a conclusion to. Did we ever find out where the teacher went or who Luke married?

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3 comments No they didn’t answer those questions. I assume they will address it in the sequel. I liked this book. I found it to be a quick read. It did make me sick to see how Cal was grooming her with all the pretty clothes, movies etc. it also made me sad and angry that Kitty centered her whole life’s happiness around Luke and had a total character change at the end, although it could also have been because she was dying. Although Logan was portrayed as very sweet, I find it extremely unlikely that a boy would continue to be stuck on the same girl like he was with Heaven over the course of that many years. I would like to know what happened to Sarah after she ran off. Overall I really enjoyed this book.

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel (gingergonzoreads) | 652 comments Mod
Honestly, I was pretty bored by it and it made it challenging to get through. I think My Sweet Audrina VCA-ed me out for a while.

Cal was a complete tool -- absolutely no spine.

message 4: by Michelle (last edited May 17, 2018 12:45PM) (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) I think V.C. Andrews is better to be read only every few years. Otherwise she loses her effect.

I do plan on reading Dark Angel eventually. It's a lot shorter. I think it's the last book in the series before the ghostwriter took over.

As soon as the hamster was first mentioned, I was full of dread. I have to skip animal cruelty in books & movies.

And lol @ Fanny's pregnancy/sold baby as the finale. smh.

I'm also glad that Logan finally f'ed off. I knew he'd turn out to be a flake.

I read recently that V.C. Andrews never had a relationship in her life. I think that may account for her unrealistic/idealistic portrayal of men's romantic tendencies in her books. (e.g. Logan being stuck on Heaven and remaining celibate even in her absence.)

message 5: by Mel (new)

Michelle, oh completely! I feel like VCA books are so incredibly heavy in some moments that its almost a challenge to enjoy them.

I read recently that V.C. Andrews never had a relationship in her life. I think that may account for her unrealistic/idealistic portrayal of men's romantic tendencies in her books. (e.g. Logan being stuck on Heaven and remaining celibate even in her absence.)
That's a very interesting perspective and you're probably completely spot on.

message 6: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments I've always loved Heaven but I admit I love the sequel more. Some of these questions are answered in other books. Cal is definitely awful. I think I hate Luke Casteel more with each read though. Complete waste of space and air.

message 7: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments Michelle wrote: "I think V.C. Andrews is better to be read only every few years. Otherwise she loses her effect.

I do plan on reading Dark Angel eventually. It's a lot shorter. I think it's the last book in the s..."

There's speculation that Fallen Hearts may have been somewhat written by her but it's not known for certain. The ghostwriter did a pretty good job with the rest of the series though. But Fallen Hearts definitely reads more VCA than ghostwriter. So she either wrote some of it or he did a really good job mimicking her style.

Could definitely tell anything after was ghostwritten, though. I like a lot of the ghostwritten ones but they do not have the same feel as the originals.

message 8: by Eva (new)

Eva Mato | 9 comments I couldn't put the book down, but it was a depressing reading. It really wore me down. The way Cal groomed Heaven was nauseating, as it was the scene with the poor hamster.
On the funny side, I couldn't help but picture Kitty as Edie Peach, one of the characters of Channel Zero's 3rd season (interpreted by Diana Bentley).

message 9: by Michelle (last edited May 18, 2018 06:45PM) (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) J.N. wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I think V.C. Andrews is better to be read only every few years. Otherwise she loses her effect.

I do plan on reading Dark Angel eventually. It's a lot shorter. I think it's the l..."

I might read Fallen Hearts too then.

In the far, far off someday.

I'd also like to read a different series, Rain, since I think it's about a black girl (for once in V.C. Andrews' career, some diversity appears). Too bad it's by a ghostwriter. I recently realized I owned it though. I guess I picked it up at a thrift store once & forgot about it.

That reminds me. When Heaven went to see Fanny at the Minister's house, and the maid answered the door, was anyone else taken aback by how they kept referring to her as a "black maid" over and over?

Like, okay, you described her as black once, Heaven. Why do you need to emphasize it every single time you refer to her? Black maid. Black maid. Black maid. Black. Maid. BLACK. MAID.

Girl.

message 10: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments Michelle wrote: "J.N. wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I think V.C. Andrews is better to be read only every few years. Otherwise she loses her effect.

I do plan on reading Dark Angel eventually. It's a lot shorter. I thi..."

I feel like VCA didn't encounter black people very much as she seems to emphasis their skin color A LOT. The Rain series are decent from what I remember. The movie is pretty good too.

message 11: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (52gatos) | 73 comments i enjoyed the book, mostly because i just finished my last semester at college and it was refreshing to just read a paperback that i didn’t have to think much about. i agree, one can get kinda burnt out on VCA so i’m glad we’re not reading the rest of the series. i am interested to see what she does in boston, however from the things i’ve read, heavens life continues to be kinda depressing and the men in the series continue to suck. cal’s character turned out to be super disappointing since there was hope for him to be a good person in her life early on. miss deale literally off the face of the earth which was also so strange. tom turned out to be disappointing too in that he ditched her for stupid Luke. the hamster thing was bad and i had to skim and jump ahead for that part. with all that and the annoying dialect, i still enjoyed reading it and seeing what outrageous stuff was gonna happen next. if it’s one thing vca delivers, it’s a crazy and demented family plot.

message 12: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments Vanessa wrote: "i enjoyed the book, mostly because i just finished my last semester at college and it was refreshing to just read a paperback that i didn’t have to think much about. i agree, one can get kinda burn..."

The sequel has the best romantic interest in the series/all of her books IMO. Her life after that is and isn't depressing. Depressing in the romance department and some of the family issues but in other ways, she ends up finding happiness still. The Miss Deale thing really bothers me too. Did she die or something? I just read where Heaven got addicted to soap operas and have a feeling the author probably was too, lol.

message 13: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments I can't believe I've never connected the dots but this strange rage Kitty has about girls "laying on their sides"....do you think that was why her parents punished her so harshly? She got married at 13 so wouldn't surprise me if she was very *aware* of her sexuality even earlier and her parents had mega brimstone and hell beliefs about sex stuff.

message 14: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Huffer (brandibooklove) | 12 comments Is peter still doing Heaven as a book club book? I knew he was going to but haven't seen anything else about it.

message 15: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments BRANDI wrote: "Is peter still doing Heaven as a book club book? I knew he was going to but haven't seen anything else about it."

Last I heard, he was still struggling to get through it so it might be a while until/if he finishes. But a lot of others have so if you want to read it, I'm sure lots of people will be happy to discuss it with you!

message 16: by Mel (new)

I think he's still planning to do the live stream whenever he finishes it. May not be for a while but, like JN said, most of us have read it and would likely be happy to talk to you about it!

message 17: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Huffer (brandibooklove) | 12 comments Thanks y'all! I'm currently reading it. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything :)