Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Help with Title Return To Middle C

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (last edited Jul 29, 2014 12:47PM) (new)

Scott | 21248 comments Gregory wrote: "Does a new edition listing have to be entered every time the cover changes? I don't see this with other books that have literally had dozens of covers, but I do with mine."

Yes. If you're not seeing it with other books, it's only because nobody has taken the trouble to make a new edition.

There are two electronic editions of this title, the first was published on Kindle 9/11/2011, the second on 10/23/13. Any other dates are wrong and only indicate a change in cover art.

Then those are the dates the new cover art edition was published.

I understand that you all like to have all versions of cover art made available to readers, but can't this still be accomplished with consolidated entries?

Not with the current database structure.

message 2: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments I have fixed the issues re message 3.

As for your remaining issues, going through the librarian edit log, I see that your book has been the (repeated) victim of a bad database import. I'm going to unravel as many invalid changes as I can, merge where appropriate, edit where appropriate, etc. I'll let you know when I'm done. Once that happens, could you look through the editions and see if the changes I've made have solved your problems, and of course note any changes I missed? Thanks!

message 3: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments Oh, and FYI, I'm hampered by the fact that Goodreads is doing some sort of maintenance that means the 'combine' function is down, so I may have to revisit this issue once it's fixed :(

message 4: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments that would be a really good idea. give it several hours, if not a day. thanks so much!

message 5: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments Gregory wrote: "The fifth entry is the Smashwords edition. My questions still remains: Are librarians supposed to create a different edition for each different electronic platform? I don't understand this because paperbacks aren't treated in this fashion. If you did this for paperbacks, there'd literally be DOZENS of editions. I just please ask that we think this over. It would really clutter up the database to include iBooks editions, Kobo editions, B&N editions, Sony editions, etc."

Actually, yes, we include ebook editions if they come with ISBN or ISBN-like ids. So we absolutely do have an ebook (starting with "978...", kindle (with its ASIN), nook (with their proprietary numbering system that starts "294..."), and kobo (if the edition is exclusively through kobo and has one of their kobo IDs starting with "123...").

As for paperbacks, every time a paperback is reissued with a new cover OR a new ISBN, Goodreads policy is to create a new edition. The only time we wouldn't create an edition is if it's just a simple reprint, with no change to the cover, ISBN, or content.

I think I've fixed all your issues, except for the combine problem I mentioned before. Right now, I can't combine the second Return To Middle C edition with the first group because the combine function is still down for maintenance. Bump this thread again tomorrow, would you?

message 6: by Koenraad (new)

Koenraad (koenraadkelemen) | 5081 comments Combine is done.

message 7: by Philip (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments Looking into it

message 8: by Philip (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments #1 Was there an ebook released anywhere other than on the Kindle, or smashwords?

#2 Has been fixed

#3 I changed it to the Sept 11, 2011 date.

#4/5/6 Are Changed since I changed it on #3 (This is populated to all combined editions of a book)

message 9: by Philip (last edited Jul 31, 2014 01:20PM) (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments Only librarians can change the information. If you let us know what it should be we can fix that.

If you want it the same as #2 that can be done.

message 10: by Philip (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments Working on it now.

message 11: by Philip (new)

Philip (burnnerman) | 5913 comments Done.

Problem is that the descriptions for 3 &4 were manually edited to mention that they were Alternate Cover Editions of another book. So, I made sure that the description was fixed and put the ACE information back into it.

5 and 6 had manually added descriptions. They are now set to inherit the default description.