Jane Austen discussion

The Tea Tray > To Spend an Evening: Movies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 248 (248 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
"How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way."

Ok, Jane Austen was talking about books not movies, but I was trying find a good quote!

Have you watched or read reviews of any interesting movies lately? Not Austen-related, by the way. I am always looking for movies to watch that AREN'T bestsellers. Anyone have any to share?

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (digifish_books) A couple of movies which I recently enjoyed are 'Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont' and 'The Enchanted April'.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 47 comments I'm reading The Enchanted April, its well, enchanting!

message 4: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) Amanda wrote: "I'm reading The Enchanted April, its well, enchanting!"

And for a change, the film is even better than the book, in my opinion.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (digifish_books) 'The Remains of the Day' is another great book and movie.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (digifish_books) Laurele wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I'm reading The Enchanted April, its well, enchanting!"

And for a change, the film is even better than the book, in my opinion."

I agree :) I saw the movie in 1992 and finally got around to reading the book a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed von Arnim's writing and hope to read 'Elizabeth and Her German Garden' in the coming months.

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane Laura wrote: "'The Remains of the Day' is another great book and movie."
I totally agree. Kazuo Ishiguro is one of my favorite authors. I just borrowed the dvd 'A Year in Provence' and loved it. It is based on an enjoyable book by Peter Mayle.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 47 comments Are these suggestions Austen like or just romantic in general?

message 9: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 25 comments I watched the French film "Amelie" and also "[500:] Days of Summer" recently and I really liked them. They were more of the artsy-love types though; not really Jane Austen related at all. :b

message 10: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Laura wrote: "A couple of movies which I recently enjoyed are 'Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont' and 'The Enchanted April'. "

Isn't "Mrs. Palfrey" a quiet, beautiful movie? It is hard to explain to friends, but you just have to see it. Thanks for mentioning that one.

I just watched "Defiance" this weekend and was impressed with it. Sometimes true stories are overdramatized, but I thought this was done well. I know the producer says in the extra feature that they were trying to avoid making a "pattern" movie like so many others.

I have been interested lately in European history during the war, so this one really fit within that. Did anyone else see it?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

"Mrs. Palfrey" is a movie that was sweeter than the book, so I'm glad that I saw the film first. I also enjoyed "I Captured the Castle" and "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day" (both films and books). You might enjoy "The Way We Live Now" (great performance by Matthew MacFadyen). If you don't mind subtitles, try "Densha Otoko: Train Man" (available on Netflix). This is a supposedly a true story that was turned into a novel and two mangas, as well as the live-action film. It is a sweet love story. (Enough from me for today!)

message 12: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not caught up on movies lately, but am definitely in the mode these days.

Another MacFadyen movie that I watched again was Death at a Funeral. I know this movie had mixed reviews, but I really think it is funny. I seemed to catch the funny stuff during the second viewing moreso. It is a good cast and each character is a touch quirky. I didn't even particularly like any one character but they all mix well together. The seriousness of Matthew's character seems to be the key. Anyway, you might enjoy it if you haven't seen it.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I had mixed feelings about this one -- it was a bit over the top! MacFadyen slowing descending into his own private hell was great to watch. I really enjoyed Peter Dinklage in "Penelope".

I love goodreads and it's even better to find a forum to talk about favorite film adaptations of books!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I mean "slowly descending" (sorry!) and in my previous post it's "I Capture the Castle" (not so good at profreading today)

message 15: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Jeannette, I know what you mean, sometimes proofing is impossible! I want to watch Penelope again. I might try that this weekend. I don't know the background of that film, but what a fun one to watch. They are all good in it, but right now I am remembering Reese Witherspoon's vague and wacky character. Those are fun fairytale movies for adults. I also like Capture the Castle. Book or movie best to you? I think I liked the book better, not sure.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Sarah!
The book was better. The characters were "filled in" a lot better (does that make sense?). I got a better feel for the family relationships and the reasons for putting the father in the tower. The movie tried to stress sex a bit more (Henry Thomas in a towel too many times). Isn't it funny to know that he played the little kid in ET?? But, the movie was very good and a pleasure to watch.

As for Penelope -- I love James McAvoy, too! And seeing Mr. Bingley again was fun! I enjoy following actors around....

message 17: by Kathryn (last edited Sep 10, 2009 12:20PM) (new)

Kathryn | 98 comments I loved the recent BBC adaptation of Dicken's "Little Dorrit"-- and for you MacFadyen fans, there is much to enjoy! :-)

For a beautifully filmed movie about a strong woman author (in the UK) watch "Miss Potter" At first, I thought it was a bit too...odd, and I wasn't keen on Renee Zelweger as Beatrix Potter. But, the film totally grew on me (helped along by Ewan McGregor!) and I was captivated by the end. GORGEOUS scenery of the Lake District and a fascinating life story. It is not all happy, though, so bring your Kleenex!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Kathryn, I'll look for "Little Dorrit".

I really liked Miss "Potter". In addition to Ewan McGregor (poor Norman), I thought Emily Watson was outstanding! And, it had a P&P alum in the cast, too! The movie inspired me to read a Beatrix Potter biography for comparison. What an amazing life she had.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

On a silly side note: Watching Emma Thompson's version of Sense & Sensibility is "mini-pre-reunion" of the cast of Harry Potter. There are six Harry Potter actors in Sense & Sensibility!

message 20: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 98 comments Jeannette wrote: "On a silly side note: Watching Emma Thompson's version of Sense & Sensibility is "mini-pre-reunion" of the cast of Harry Potter. There are six Harry Potter actors in Sense & Sensibility!"

Oh, yeah! :-) Gotta love the "reunions" in these movies. Have you seen "Cranford" yet? You will see Lydia (from A&E "P&P") and Mr Willoughby (from the Thompson "S&S") and then for our HP cast, Dumbledore and Umbridge!!!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

The funniest to see is "moaning Myrtle" who is really around 40 years old! (She's in "Miss Pettigrew" and "The Way We Live Now"). I love following these actors around -- they make quite a troop!

Have you seen "Barchester Chronicles"? This features one of Alan Rickman's early roles.

message 22: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Jeannette wrote: "On a silly side note: Watching Emma Thompson's version of Sense & Sensibility is "mini-pre-reunion" of the cast of Harry Potter. There are six Harry Potter actors in Sense & Sensibility!"

OK, I will test my memory and try to name the Sens&Sens who played in both that and HarryP:

Gemma Jones (whom I have a life-long attachment :)
Emma Thompson (second only to Gemma ha ha)
the man who plays Mrs. Dashwood's cousin that invited them to live in the cottage (forgetting character names here)
Alan Rickman
Imelda Stanton

I give up after that? Anyone else know their HarryP cast well?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

The last one is the toughest. The actress who played Mrs. Jennings was the Fat Lady in the door portrait in the first movie. Dawn French played the part after that.

Being a Gemma Jones fan: Have you watched "The Winslow Boy"? (also starring Jeremy Northam). She's very good in this movie.

message 24: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Mrs. Jennings -- cool! I didn't know that! Now you have me thinking, what if Dawn was in an Austen movie? She has probably done a skit of Austen before, but wouldn't that be something. I think she should do it. There will never be another French or Saunders as far as I am concerned.

I love the Winslow Boy. Another slow, thoughtful movie for a rainy day. Very good cast, isn't it?

And I will just plug again that Gemma Jones in The Duchess of Duke Street goes beyond description for me. Her role and the entire cast and script made that an "experience" rather than a mini-series, movie, whatever. I am sure she has done other amazing big work like that, but, in the U.S., I have never found any of her other stuff (other than supporting roles like Winslow) -- and I am not on Netflix, so I am a little sheltered.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

"The Winslow Boy" has an excellent cast. Nigel Hawthorne is another good actor. My turn to plug "Barchester Chronicles" again! :)

One more push for me to watch "The Duchess of Duke Street"! Gemma Jones is one of those exceptional and reliable actresses who never quite make it to top billing. She's done a lot of TV, according to imdb.com.

I just started with Netflix. You should check it out.

message 26: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 98 comments I am hoping to watch "Duchess of Duke Street" this autumn!

message 27: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidimarie) | 13 comments Thanks for all the comments - I found some movies that I haven't watched and now want to and some of my favorites that i need to watch again. I love this sight! Thanks again.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Heidi Marie wrote: "Thanks for all the comments - I found some movies that I haven't watched and now want to and some of my favorites that i need to watch again. I love this sight! Thanks again."

It is a great sight! Lots of great book and movie reccomendations!

message 29: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (alexac) | 8 comments On another tangent (because on another thread someone asked if a new poster is a Colin Firth fan now after seeing P&P), I have to throw in my SECOND favorite CF movie :-P, Valmont. This was the first thing I ever saw him in, not long after it came out. I love this movie and I looooooove CF in it!!

message 30: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

I hope to relax a little this weekend, it has been very busy lately. I have a DVD player again, so I have this backstock of movies to catch up on.

I don't know what I am in the mood for, so look at this eclectic list I have stacked here:

Feast of July
The Last King
The Journey of Natty Gann
Return to Snowy River (I haven't been to Snowy River the first time)
Children of Huang Shi
Limelight (Chaplin, I will probably watch this one regardless)
Ballet Shoes

Who knows my mood when I actually drop onto the couch to watch them!

message 31: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Jeannette wrote: ""The Winslow Boy" has an excellent cast. Nigel Hawthorne is another good actor. My turn to plug "Barchester Chronicles" again! :)

One more push for me to watch "The Duchess of Duke Street"! G..."

My movie update:

I watched both Feast of July and Ballet Shoes. Both included Gemma Jones in a supporting role. Feast of July was too sad for words. I LOVED Ballet Shoes though -- great cast, great storyline -- based on the novel by Noel Streatfeild.

message 32: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 98 comments I thought Ballet Shoes was lovely, too! :-) It didn't *quite* capture the novel, for me, but I still thought it was quite good as a film.

message 33: by Giovanna (new)

Giovanna (whenwearebothcats) | 5 comments I have never watched or read the Ballet Shoes (always meant to). Everytime I hear the name of the book or the author it makes me think of the film "You've Got Mail" when Meg Ryan's character talks about all the shoe books and how wonderful they are.

message 34: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 98 comments I love that scene, Giovanna!

message 35: by Bill (last edited Sep 26, 2009 03:15PM) (new)

Bill (bill_bee) | 81 comments I want to put in a pitch for my two favorite movies of this year. The first is The Reader with an incomparable performance by Kate Winslet. But that is a pretty heavy movie. The second is Julie and Julia. I have a friend who goes in and out of depression. I took him to this when he was coming out of his most recent fall into the dumpster. He loved it. This was the second time I went to this movie. I went the first time with my wife. We both loved it but wished we had left time to go out to eat after it.

A movie from 2008 that I really loved was The Visitor with Richard Jenkins and one of the most beautiful women in the world, Hiam Abbass. It is a bitter sweet movie, more sweet than bitter.

Finally, I recommend Lives of Others. Another bitter sweet movie and one that is very uplifting. It is also very intense. I was on the edge of my seat during most of it, yet not very much "action" happens during the movie.

Of these movies, I think Jane would have liked Julie and Julia and The Visitor best. She liked well written "small stories." But she would have liked the other two for different reasons also.

BTW, I recently saw Enchanted April again. I liked the movie, but I saw it as a play and it was even better. The book is good too.

I also liked The Remains of the Day and intend to read the book some day. Ditto for I Captured the Castle. I liked Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day and Miss Potter (I have been to the Lake District and I agree it is gorgeous).

message 36: by Bill (last edited Sep 26, 2009 03:31PM) (new)

Bill (bill_bee) | 81 comments I would vote for Fever Pitch (the British version). In this movie of a Nick Hornby novel, Colin plays a soccer obsessed teacher who has an affair with another teacher. Colin's rant about why he is crushed by Arsenal's most recent defeat after 18 years of never making the finals is classic.

Here is a sample of the dialogue:

Sarah: What are those?
Paul: My Arsenal boxer shorts. But they're not my best ones, I was running out...
Sarah: But you're willing to show them to another human being?

Jo: [regarding Sarah's sudden interest in Paul's favorite team:] It's all a sinister form of male manipulation.
Sarah: Rubbish!
Jo: It's true! You get colonized! Your native culture gets driven out, and it's replaced by stuff that you don't like and don't even want to know about.

Sarah: Paul, it's only a game!
Paul: DON'T SAY THAT! Please! That is the worst, most stupid thing anyone could say! Cause it quite clearly isn't "only a game." I mean if it was do you honestly think I'd care this much? Eh? Eighteen years! Eight-teen years! Do you know what you wanted eighteen years ago? Or ten? Or five? Did you want to be Head of Year at North London Comprehensive, I doubt it. I'd doubt if you wanted anything for that long. And if you had, and if you'd spent three months thinking that finally, FINALLY you were gonna get it and just when you think it's there it's taken away from you... I mean I don't care what it is, a car, a job, an Oscar, the baby... then you'd understand how I was feeling tonight. But there isn't, and you don't, so...
Sarah: So, so what, so f__k off, go home, leave you alone? I'll tell you something Paul, there isn't anything that I've wanted for eighteen years, cause I was a kid eighteen years ago. And if I did still want the same things I'd think I'd gone wrong somewhere, because actually I don't want to marry David Cassidy, I don't want bigger tits, I don't want to do better on my marks. I've stopped worrying about that kind of thing and maybe you should try.
Paul: Well maybe there's a big bit of you that's gone missing somewhere, maybe everyone should want something they've always wanted.

Alexa wrote: "On another tangent (because on another thread someone asked if a new poster is a Colin Firth fan now after seeing P&P), I have to throw in my SECOND favorite CF movie :-P, Valmont. This was the fir..."

message 37: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Ok, we are heading toward the weekend. Any movies picks, either in theater or on DVD?

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

There never seem to be any good movies on at the theater, at least not where I live. :(

We just watched "The Englisman Who Went Up a Hill...", Hugh Grant playing Hugh Grant, but Colm Meany evens him out wonderfully!

message 39: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Thanks for the idea, Jeannette. I like Hugh Grant -- we may have discussed before -- not to criticize his career, but he could have done a lot more than romantic comedies for the most part - I LOVED About a Boy. I know we all see people in different ways, but I thought that was the kind of role he should play.

And, Bill a couple of weeks ago, I somehow missed your suggestions -- I am really interested in Julie and Julia. I still want to see that and may still try to find a theater. May be too late -- that's always the thing too with finding the good "smaller" movies before they are taken off.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I, too, enjoyed "About a Boy." He was funny and lazy and despicable. I also enjoyed him in "Notting Hill", but it might be Rhys Ifans that made the movie for me!

Have you watched "American Dreamz"?

message 41: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments * One Night with the King - story of Esther
* Vanity Fair - not the Reese Witherspoon one but the BBC mini-series. You can watch it INSTANTLY on Netflix.
* Gosford Park
* Strictly Ballroom - my happy movie. It is a lil cheesy but brings laughs.

Jeannette -> I saw American Dreamz and nearly groaned over it. Though Hugh plays a great antagonist in it. I cannot watch Notting Hill anymore. It was my ex-husband's and my film (our song was featured in the movie, too). I do like him in Two Weeks Notice.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Tanja,

Sorry about Notting Hill! I haven't seen American Dreamz, but read it was a departure for Hugh Grant into a nastier character. I liked Gosford Park. I'll check out Vanity Fair (liked the Reese version), and Two Weeks. I'm just getting started with Netflix, but I love it!

message 43: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

I don't know if this film has been released in the U.S. in theater or DVD, but I just ran across this site:

http://www.thelittlewhitehorse.com/in...

Classic, great cast, thought you might be interested :-}

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Interesting -- definitely my kind of movie. Says it was released Jan 2009, but it isn't on dvd on Netflix. Maybe it isn't on dvd. I never heard of it and the cast is well-known. hmm?

Have you seen Inkheart?

message 45: by Bill (new)

Bill (bill_bee) | 81 comments Julie and Julia is still at the art theater owned by Regal Cinemas here in Portland. So I hope you were able to find it. But other than that, there doesn't seem to be much at the theaters.

Sarah wrote: " I am really interested in Julie and Julia. I still want to see that and may still try to find a theater...."

message 46: by Bill (new)

Bill (bill_bee) | 81 comments I liked About a Boy too. Enough that I bought it and added it to my small video collection. I liked the growth Hugh Grant's character went through in this movie. And he is very funny.

Jeannette wrote: "I, too, enjoyed "About a Boy." He was funny and lazy and despicable. I also enjoyed him in "Notting Hill", but it might be Rhys Ifans that made the movie for me!

Have you watched "American Dre..."

message 47: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Bill wrote: "Julie and Julia is still at the art theater owned by Regal Cinemas here in Portland. So I hope you were able to find it. But other than that, there doesn't seem to be much at the theaters.

Sarah..."

We have a couple of Regals -- I will look at their listing. Thnx

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Has anyone watched "Starter For 10" with James McAvoy? Any reviews??

message 49: by Harriet (new)

Harriet | 53 comments Jeannette wrote: "Has anyone watched "Starter For 10" with James McAvoy? Any reviews??"

I watched Starter for Ten a couple of years back, and I really enjoyed it. Would definitely recommend it.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you, Harriet! A personal recommendation always helps!

« previous 1 3 4 5