Christian Readers discussion

Ted Dekker
This topic is about Ted Dekker
Book Discussions > Circle Series Fans?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Bills | 3 comments I already loved so many of Ted Dekker's books when someone recommended the Circle Series to me. They knew it would be out of my comfort zone, so they warned me ahead of time. Typically I do not enjoy sci-fi or fantasy style books. But I promised to keep an open mind. The same thing happened to me when I started reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I had resisted even trying to read them because I didn't think it was my cup of tea. I found out that I don't always know what I'm going to like until I dive right in. Knowing that, I decided it best to give these a try. It took me a little while to get my head right with the setting but once I did, wow! Talk about books that suck you into another world! Just wondering if there are any other fans of the Circle Series out there and if so, what did you find most compelling in the stories?

message 2: by Chad (new)

Chad (chadjohnson) | 62 comments I love the circle series! I am currently reading Green... which I am reading last. The jury is still out on Green but I thought the other three were awesome, suck you in, don't want to put the book down, feel like you are the protagonist, kind of fiction.

On the other hand... I've not been so impressed with Green after reading about 1/4 of it so far.

The only other Ted D. books I have read are A.D. 30 and A.D. 33 which I thoroughly enjoyed.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Bills | 3 comments You might check out “Showdown”, “Saint”, and “Sinner”. They are part of the circle books in a broad sense. They are known as the Paradise novels. I loved them. Just be sure to read them in order. “Blessed Child” is really good too, but completely unrelated to the circle books.

message 4: by Chad (new)

Chad (chadjohnson) | 62 comments Thanks for the recommendations Cheryl. I will definitely put those on my list.

Other thoughts on The Circle Series... and to answer your question about what I found most compelling...

I found the idea itself to be compelling. The idea that Thomas Hunter could not tell which world was real and which world was a dream world was extremely compelling. I really wanted to find out what was going on and what was this strange place in his dreams. Was it real? Was it the future? Was it some unknown past? Was it the spiritual realm? Was it Heaven on Earth? I wanted to know... plus, why were angels and demons giving Thomas information about "the histories?" And how did Thomas Hunter end up in the middle of the Black Forest in the first place?

Of course now that I am reading Green some of these questions have answers... but I'm almost thinking I would have been better off just leaving it to mystery.

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Bills | 3 comments Well said, Chad. I agree 100%. I also loved that aspects of the story. Elyon was particularly intriguing to me and of course that twist concerning his identity. I love the vibrant world Dekker created and how I was always disoriented when I closed the books and came around to my world. It almost seemed less real than THAT world. That’s a great writer when they can get you so absorbed in the story that you forget your own reality for a time.

message 6: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Griffin | 1 comments Is the Circle Series (ISBN-10: 1595547924) the same as the individual books... just put into one book? Does anyone know?

message 7: by Chad (last edited Oct 26, 2018 09:41AM) (new)

Chad (chadjohnson) | 62 comments Yes. And it appears to be the correct read order. Black, Red, White, Green.

So yes, this book The Circle, ISBN-10: 1595547924, is all 4 books in 1 hardback book.