Short Story Connect discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > What is your favourite short story anthology?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam Mawer | 66 comments It would be a crime to have a group on short stories without a topic on short story anthologies!

Do you have a favourite? Why?

Also, what do you think makes a great anthology? The cover? The collection of stories? A good topic?

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Jenn Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ Schu (jennschu) The Oxford Book of Gothic Tales has always been one of my favorites.

message 3: by Jk (new)

Jk Not sure I could pin down a favorite but Troubled Daughters, Twisted Wives: Stories from the Trailblazers of Domestic Suspense is a really cool anthology that I read recently. I really enjoyed every story which is pretty rare, usually anthologies are a mixed bag for me. If you are into noir-y psychological crime stuff from the 40's(authored by women no less) definitely check it out!

message 4: by Blue Moon (new)

Blue Moon Publishers (bluemoonpublishers) | 146 comments Mod
Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage: Stories We think it's one of Alice Munro's best collections!

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 33 comments If you include short story collections, as opposed to anthologies, then Jhumpa Lahiri's Interpreter of Maladies is definitely my favorite.

message 6: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Thomas | 1 comments I've found 3 X 33: Short Fiction by 33 Writers to be an excellent collection of short stories with a variety of authors, styles, and subject matter. It's a hefty collection, to say the least!

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott Zavoda (ScottZavoda) | 34 comments I've reread Stephen King's Everythings Eventual. Hard to pin down the best story though.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Jones (AmandaSJones) | 380 comments I found One World: A Global Anthology of Short Stories to be unique in its cultural diversity. Has anyone read it?

message 9: by Andrzej (last edited Aug 10, 2014 06:37AM) (new)

Andrzej Tucholski (andtucholski) | 2 comments (So many great anthologies - thanks for recommendations!)

message 10: by E. (new)

E. Clark (eccbooks) | 9 comments I think Best American Short Stories is a must-read each year. It comes out in the fall, I think. I teach it each spring in my Advanced Short Fiction seminar.

As for a single-author collection or best-of, I swear by Selected Stories by Andre Dubus.

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott Zavoda (ScottZavoda) | 34 comments Lesha,

Sorry it took so long but I got it over to you with some feedback and corrections.

Iesha (In east shade house at...) (emberblue) | 410 comments Wrong thread, Scott:)

message 13: by Scott (new)

Scott Zavoda (ScottZavoda) | 34 comments Thanks, Lesha. Regarding this thread, I like Nightmare at 20,000 Feet by Richard Matheson. I guess its a collection as opposed to an anthology.

message 14: by Barbara (last edited Sep 24, 2014 06:01AM) (new)

Barbara Amanda, I've wanted to read the One World anthology for a while. I like the chance to read non-Anglo stories. It's good to see your recommendation.

message 15: by Jdc (new)

Jdc | 11 comments The anthology that I often use for workshops or literature classes is The Art of the Tale.
GREAT stories by Ingeborg Bachman, Russell Banks,Tadeusz Borowski, Paul Bowles, T.C. Boyle, John Cheever, Mavis Gallant,Natalia Ginsburg, Yukio Mishima, Nabokov, Edna O'Brien, Frank O'Connor,Peter Taylor, William Trevor...just to name my favorites, the ones I've read over and over. Many other wonderful stories from Europe, the former British Empire and the USA, all written after WW II
but before the 1960s.

message 16: by Bernie (new)

Bernie Dowling (beedeed) | 9 comments We launched our new anthology yesterday, Here is a review.
http://bentbananabooks.com/book-alpha...

message 17: by Anita (last edited Oct 26, 2014 08:05PM) (new)

Anita Viccica - Toss (goodreadsnitareeny) | 68 comments I enjoyed Stories and Scripts: an Anthology by Zack Love. I think it's a wonderful collection of his short stories.

message 18: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jazzman) | 24 comments The Cliff Garstang edited, Press 53 anthology, Everywhere Stories: Short Fiction from a Small Planet.
Twenty stories set in twenty unique locations by twenty talented authors. A great read and available everywhere, including two of America's greatest independent bookstores... Lawrence Ferlengetti's City Lights in San Francisco and Powell's in Portland, Oregon. Amazon and Barnes and Noble too.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

If it's ok, I'd like to point out my own short story anthology. :)
Dreams, Fiction and Me
Dreams, Fiction and Me by Agostino Scafidi

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Just recently finished The Hero of Blind Pig Island and Other Island Stories, a collection by Jimmy Olsen. Fantastic anthology, really unique compilation, compelling characters, sort of a Hemingway-esque writing style (simple, spare, not gussied up). I highly recommend it!

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula Cappa | 125 comments Here's a new anthology just released: Journals of Horror: Found Fiction. Published by Pleasant Storm Entertainment, Terry M. West, this anthology breaks the boundaries with compelling voices in dark fiction. It just hit the best seller list on Amazon #1 in Australia, #6 in U.S. #23 in U.K.

Here are few story titles:

Turn Me On, Dead Man, Robin Dover
The Book of Flesh and Blood, Jeff O'Brien
Night Terrors: Journal, Michael Thomas-Knight
The Seahorse Speaks, Erik Gustafson
There's Something in My House, Wesley Thomas
Self-Consumed, Terry M. West & ReginaWest
The Breath Within the Darkness, Essel Pratt

Journals of Horror: Found Fiction
Journals of Horror Found Fiction by Terry M. West

message 22: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Half in Love by Maile Meloy - love her stories!

message 23: by Bev (new)

Bev (bevallen) | 3 comments I love "Apeman,Spaceman". Its a collections of scifi/anthropological stories edited by no less a person than Harry Harrison. It is brilliant, it even has one of the best "Peanuts" cartoons inside. And the story of about Horatio guarding the bridge still makes me laugh, even though I must have read it a dozen times.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

The Snows of Kilimanjaro collection contains some of best short stories written in the English language.

message 25: by John (new)

John (crimewriterjm) | 4 comments 999: Twenty-nine Original Tales of Horror and Suspense is a favourite of mine because it includes a great novella by David Morrell, plus other good stories of horror and suspense.

message 26: by Neil (new)

Neil McFarlane (neilroymcfarlane) | 1 comments "Dubliners" by James Joyce.

Also Saki's "Clovis" collections. Not at all deep, just amazingly witty, original and entertaining.