I Read Comic Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
BotM Nominations > Nominations for June Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited May 16, 2018 04:10PM) (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 581 comments Mod
What trade should we read together for our [insert month] Comic Book of the Month? Nominate your pick here!

This month's theme is "writer and/or artist publicly identifies as LGBTQ+."

Titles nominated this month must have a writer and/or artist who publicly identifies as LGBTQ+. If you have any questions or concerns, please send a message to mod Kate, who is happy to help. You can find the complete 2018 theme calendar here.

Remember:
- Nominated titles must be TPB comics or original graphic novels.
- Only the first volume of a series may be nominated, unless the group has already read the previous volume(s) as a book of the month. To see what we've read, check out our group's bookshelf.
- Nominated titles cannot have the same writer as the previous month's BotM winner. This month, that's Jeff Lemire.
- Nominated titles must fit the month's theme. To see past and upcoming themes, check out the 2018 theme calendar.
- Only one nomination per person.
- You can "second" a nomination in place of nominating a different book, but this will count as your nomination for the month. Seconded books will receive an additional chance of being selected in the randomization process.
- If a title you nominate wins BotM, please refrain from nominating another title for one month to give others a chance.

Nomination & Voting Schedule:
To better accommodate our increasing number of members, the nomination and voting schedule is as follows every month:

16th: Nomination forum opens
23rd: Nomination forum closes; 5 nominations are selected at random; Voting opens
30th: Voting closes

More details on our updated nomination and voting procedures can be found here.

message 2: by Chad (new)

Chad | 825 comments I mostly don't care what we read, but please don't subject me to Steve Orlando. I find his writing insufferable.

message 3: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda | 15 comments I nominate Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

I haven't read this, but I did read her Lumberjanes series and it was very good.

message 4: by 47Time (last edited May 17, 2018 07:52AM) (new)

47Time Marc Andreyko is openly gay, so why not read this comic? Looks cool. Manhunter, Vol. 1: Street Justice

Edit: Oops, read by the group. I'm really behind on these...
Edit 2: Or wasn't it? Why would the group's bookshelf return any result if the book isn't there? I suppose I can recommend it then.

message 5: by Chad (new)

Chad | 825 comments Anyone have a list of LGBTQ+ creators? I don't know much about most creators' personal lives in general. For me it would be much easier to suggest books that have LGBTQ+ characters.

message 6: by Chad (new)

Chad | 825 comments What about Bingo Love? It just came out from Image in Feb.

message 7: by kaitlphere (new)

kaitlphere | 236 comments Mod
Here is WIkipedia's list of LGBTQ+ comic creators. Here is a list of queer and trans women comic creators, and ALL these books look so good!

I love Nimona and I picked up Bingo Love but haven't had a chance to read it! I would love to read either!

I'm nominating This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki. It's won a whole lot of awards, so I imagine it will be great and easy to find.

message 8: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Stilwell (cyclopa) | 1 comments I almost want to second Nimona, but I'll go ahead and throw my hat into the ring and nominate Princess Princess. It's a webcomic that you can read for free here, but there's also a book release under the name Princess Princess Ever After.

message 9: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Jolinda wrote: "I nominate Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

I haven't read this, but I did read her Lumberjanes series and it was very good."

Nimona is absolutely one of my favorites. I suppose I'll nominate The Backstagers, Vol. 1. I haven't read it yet, but it looked interesting.

message 10: by kaitlphere (new)

kaitlphere | 236 comments Mod
Caitlin wrote: "Jolinda wrote: "I nominate Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

I haven't read this, but I did read her Lumberjanes series and it was very good."

Nimona is absolutely one of my favorites. I suppose I'll n..."

I love The Backstagers! It's so wholesome and magical. I was in tech in high school, so I also understand the "otherworldy" feeling of the backstage tech room, even without the magical elements in the comic.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 581 comments Mod
Kait wrote: "I'm nominating This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki. It's won a whole lot of awards..."

That is a fantastic book!

message 13: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 641 comments Mod
Definitely gotta nom one of my favorite runs of a DC book: Constantine: The Hellblazer, Volume 1: Going Down by Ming Doyle, James Tynion IV, and Riley Rossmo.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.