a true crime book club. discussion

2018 Book Club Books > I'LL BE GONE IN THE DARK BOOK DISCUSSION

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Peter (new)

Peter Monn | 23 comments Mod
Hey everyone! I'm so sorry I just started this thread! I love reading all of your comments about the books we are reading. Hope you're enjoying this one! I am starting it today and I'm so excited! Love ya!

message 2: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Klopfenstein | 16 comments Just finished this last night and it was so good. I highly recommend the audio book. One of the last chapters is read by her husband and I’m not gonna lie, I got a little emotional. Hope everyone else is enjoying it.

message 3: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (52gatos) | 73 comments i’m also listening to the audio book, with my husband in the car. its so good i’m tempted to jump ahead and listen without him haha.

message 4: by M. (new)

M. (chellatrix) | 32 comments I read this right when it came out, but thinking of also doing the audiobook with a mind to discussing it intelligently. :)

(I didn't know there was going to be a book club/test!)

I already bored my husband about it during the first reading, and went home early from my business so I could watch the press conference when they found the guy.

message 5: by Jade (new)

Jade I finished this a couple of weeks before they made the arrest and want to re-read it now that we know who he is. I loved it! I found the first section detail heavy and emotionally heavy, but still great. The last two sections were compulsive and really moving. I hope you enjoy it!

message 6: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments Just started but already impressed with that map and list of people up front. So helpful.

LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone | 30 comments I ended up restarting my audible account so that I could get this. I will keep the account up one more month so that I can get my credit for next month! lol! My worry is that I will not be able to get it finished before the next books starts as I am almost a week late and I have limited time to listen to audio books. I hope it is a quick listen!

message 8: by Peter (new)

So happy everyone is enjoying this suggestion! I guess this is a good audible pick! Starting it tonight!

message 9: by Tracee (new)

Tracee Duthie | 25 comments Just started it on audible. It is really good so far.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) I come from Southern California/Orange County originally, and a lot of this stuff was going down around the time I was born (1980). I wonder if my family was nervous back then? I never heard them say anything about it....

I also lived in Seattle during the Green River Killer's reign, and my parents do tell me about that one.

message 11: by Sarah Marie (new)

Sarah Marie | 14 comments I'm currently listening to I'll Be Gone in the Dark and one part that stuck with me is when a girl looks down into the bushes and sees a pair of eyes and a man holding a screwdriver. NO THANK YOU! I'm really enjoying McNamara's writing style and the audiobook is really gripping.

Michelle wrote: "I come from Southern California/Orange County originally, and a lot of this stuff was going down around the time I was born (1980). I wonder if my family was nervous back then? I never heard them s..."

You should ask some of your family members! I think that would be such an interesting discussion. A lot of times families try to ignore big things like this in family discussions, but when asked they have a lot to say.

message 12: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments I am liking the audio. I'm listening as I work and also reading the physical copy when I'm not. 50 pages in.

LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone | 30 comments I am half way through on the audio version! It is so good

message 14: by Peter (new)

I’m 20% into the audio. This is some scary stuff. I got spooked just walking into the house tonight. Anyone else think it’s creepy?

message 15: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Klopfenstein | 16 comments I made the mistake of starting it in the middle of the night while home alone. It had me walking around the house double checking every window and door lock.

message 16: by Jade (new)

Jade Super creepy! I listened to a podcast that played the audio/phone messages he a victim, it bumped up the creep factor by about a million. You should google it! It will add to the atmosphere, ha.

message 17: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (52gatos) | 73 comments Investigation ID recently did a four part series right before he was caught. I heard the phone call on there. Soooo creepy.....

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Quidas (leisure_reads) | 3 comments I have to take a short break from reading it because my husband is gone for the weekend and this book is creeping me out. I love it though and it's really hard to resist reading it. So glad this book was picked!

message 19: by Mom2triplets04 (new)

Mom2triplets04 | 38 comments I started up my audible account to get this book for free. I have 5 hours left on audio. I’m not sure I like true crime books or the way it’s written. It’s a lot of dates and it’s like listening to the news which I never listen to. I’m at a meh 3 rating. So hard to rate nonfiction.

message 20: by M. (new)

M. (chellatrix) | 32 comments I live in a small town, and my first time reading this I'd be in bed and it would occur to me that I didn't know if I'd locked the doors. And then I'd hear a noise...

message 21: by Mary (new)

Mary King (maryk13) | 13 comments Mom2triplets04 wrote: "I started up my audible account to get this book for free. I have 5 hours left on audio. I’m not sure I like true crime books or the way it’s written. It’s a lot of dates and it’s like listening to..."

I agree - It isn't super atmospheric, which is something I prefer in True Crime. It's more of a compilation of facts on the case (still creepy) so the audiobook has made it much more interesting for me. I need to look into the Investigation ID series and the podcasts mentioned above to get some embellishment on the details.

message 22: by Sid (new)

Sid | 1 comments I was about to stop reading but I got the audio book and it definitely helped. I'm waiting to watch any videos or listen to podcast until I finish the book.

message 23: by Jessica (last edited May 18, 2018 09:36AM) (new)

Jessica Cann (jekacann) | 27 comments I'm also listening to the audible version. I really like it. I love true crime but I normally read them so l can keep up with them better. I feel like I'm going to need to listen to this one again so I can make sure I understood everything.

message 24: by Michelle (last edited May 18, 2018 12:37PM) (new)

Michelle (la_medusa) I got some other library books to read at night. I live alone in a sketchy neighborhood, so I just can't read this at night unless I'm at my boyfriend's (full) house across town.

So, I'm only about halfway through because I keep having to interrupt my reading of it when the sun sets.

I'm enjoying the physical copy with pictures of the victims, and investigators, and the map.

message 25: by Jean (last edited May 18, 2018 03:57PM) (new)

Jean  Field | 5 comments Hi Everyone, I have noticed a few of you saying you can't get a copy of I'LL BE GONE IN THE DARK. I have finished this already so if anyone who uses KINDLE and would like to borrow it. I would be more than happy to lend it to you. I think you only have to give your kindle acct id for me to be able to lend it. Let me know

message 26: by M. (new)

M. (chellatrix) | 32 comments Lending doesn't look like it's enabled for Kindle.
Sold by: HarperCollins Publishers
Language: English
ASIN: B071YRW9CB
Text-to-Speech: Enabled
X-Ray:
Enabled
Word Wise: Enabled
Lending: Not Enabled

message 27: by Jean (new)

Jean  Field | 5 comments you are right I am so sorry I should have checked first. I don't understand why. Go figure.

message 28: by M. (new)

M. (chellatrix) | 32 comments Jean wrote: "you are right I am so sorry I should have checked first. I don't understand why. Go figure."

Stuff happens. I remember it, because I was also going to offer to lend it. :)

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Cann (jekacann) | 27 comments Michelle wrote: "I got some other library books to read at night. I live alone in a sketchy neighborhood, so I just can't read this at night unless I'm at my boyfriend's (full) house across town.

So, I'm only abou..."

I can't listen to it at night either. So I only get to listen to an HR a day right now. I think I have like 4 more hrs left so maybe I'll have it done by Wednesday of next week (I can't listen on the weekends during the day bc we do a lot of running around and my husband doesn't want to listen to this book).

message 30: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 5 comments The podcast Casefile covered this case over several episodes. I found it very compelling; this may be something you’d like to check out, if you’ve enjoyed I’ll Be Gone in the Dark.

message 31: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments Peter wrote: "I’m 20% into the audio. This is some scary stuff. I got spooked just walking into the house tonight. Anyone else think it’s creepy?"

Kinda. I've been listening while I work at home alone. But I think it's not AS creepy because I'm normalized myself to listening to Forensic Files or Unsolved Mysteries some work days. The screwdriver part was, though.

message 32: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments Vanessa wrote: "Investigation ID recently did a four part series right before he was caught. I heard the phone call on there. Soooo creepy....."

Will definitely be checking this out after!

message 33: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments Jessica wrote: "I'm also listening to the audible version. I really like it. I love true crime but I normally read them so l can keep up with them better. I feel like I'm going to need to listen to this one again ..."

I'm half reading and half listening and feel like this too. Sometimes I have to rewind because I miss stuff while working.

LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone | 30 comments I finished it this morning and it was so good. I do admit that I felt very sad at the end. It really is sad that Michelle is gone. I wish she had lived to see him finally get caught. I loved the way this was written. I really do feel this book is best to be listened to. Michelle was a talented writer.

It is heartbreaking when you think about how this one mas ruined so many lives. All of his victims, the ones that lived, the ones that didn't. The families of his victims, the cops that had a hard time leaving the case behind. I always feel that there are very few people in the world that are truly evil but I feel as if this man was evil. He was a monster.

message 35: by Erica (new)

Erica (luna_dangerous) | 5 comments I’m about half way through and so stunned by how deeply disturbed this man is. I’ve found myself checking the locks to all my windows and doors. I’m loving the read but totally creeped out!

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Cann (jekacann) | 27 comments Y'all we had a storm here yesterday evening and our power went out this morning around 2:30. It immediately woke me up because my fan stopped. Well I totally freaked out because I've been listening to this book. I didn't listen to it last night, but everything I've listened to so far came flooding back and it was so scary!!!

message 37: by Savannah (new)

Savannah I just got this from the library today! I probably won't be starting it until tomorrow though, depending on how the book I'm reading now goes...

message 38: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Somerville (cindysomerville) | 1 comments I just started the book last night!! Off to a good start!

message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Cann (jekacann) | 27 comments The hour I listened to yesterday freaked me out!!! It definitely gets spookier the farther into it you get.

message 40: by Tasha (new)

Tasha (zummibear) | 6 comments I'm about 200 pages into this and am enjoying it. I must not be as easily creeped out as I havent had a problem reading it at night. I live in an apartment complex and my windows are flush with the ground so I can imagine how easy it would be for someone to break in.

Hoping to finish this today so I can check out the podcasts.

message 41: by Regina (new)

Regina Almost done reading this. If anyone is interested, there are a lot of things on YouTube about him. Creepiest one is a recording of a 1978 voice recording of him calling a victim's house. Yikes!

message 42: by M. (new)

M. (chellatrix) | 32 comments Did you guys see that Jeopardy subtly paid homage to this book/Michelle McNamara? They had a category called It's Chaos next to one called Be Kind. It will make sense to people who've finished the book.

message 43: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments I like the writing but the dates being all over the place is kind of hindering my complete understanding. I'm so chronological! 47% through. Aiming to finish before Sunday. Just had other books I'm working on.

message 44: by Peter (new)

Ok, so I just wanted to catch up and comment on some of the things people have said and add my 2 cents lol. I'm loving this so far. I agree it's not super atmospheric, much like Helter Skelter, which is why it is terrifying to me. I also am missing things and find myself rewinding a lot. I currently have 4 hours left so I'll probably finish it sometime tomorrow. I would love to read more true crime in the future for this group, maybe around Halloween? What do you guys think? Thank you for the info about the YouTube videos about the killer. I've been reading articles and I've found it interesting seeing how they caught him and what he's really like while reading the book. It actually doesn't ruin the book at all and has only added to my fascination. Excited to hear what everyone has to say once we've all finished it!

message 45: by Jenny (new)

Jenny I think reading more true crime books would be great. Always been interested in them but this is the first I've read and I'm glad it was picked for the book club. Growing up in California and knowing the areas these crimes took place makes it so much more terrifying. We're in Southern California but my dad was a cop so I'm going to ask him if he remembers this case.

message 46: by Jessica (last edited May 24, 2018 04:59AM) (new)

Jessica Cann (jekacann) | 27 comments I'm definitely going to have to listen to it again because I'm just not used to listening to books and I feel like I've missed things. I'm really enjoying it though. I have an hour left so I should be done today. And I'm downloading YouNow now so I'll be able to see the live stream.

I am all for more true crime!!

message 47: by Angel (new)

Angel Eisnaugle _thebookangel_ | 8 comments Yes, yes, yes!!! More true crime picks would be great. And Halloween would be the perfect time!

message 48: by Mel (new)

Mel (gingergonzoreads) | 652 comments Mod
Yes to true crime books!! Helter Skelter is on my 'to-read' list. Im just waiting for the library to let me know it's available.

message 49: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments Peter wrote: "Ok, so I just wanted to catch up and comment on some of the things people have said and add my 2 cents lol. I'm loving this so far. I agree it's not super atmospheric, much like Helter Skelter, whi..."

"I also am missing things and find myself rewinding a lot"

Me when I'm listening to the audio all the time lol.

message 50: by J.N. (new)

J.N. (jncahill) | 299 comments I'm planning to start Helter Skelter this fall. I was actually going to read the book by the prosecution's side (Ashton?) for the Casey Anthony case but then this one got chosen for this month so I might also revisit that later on this year.

« previous 1