What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Now we'll never know > Children's Book; Teddy Bear Story. set in a small village where there is a dark castle upon a hill that no one has ever been inside. One day the villages decide to send someone up to the castle to see who lives in there as no one has been in.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I am looking to find a particular story in a collection of Teddy Bear Tales that I read as a child (around 2006/7)
The front cover could possibly have had trees around the oustide with apples on, maybe a picnic on the front with teddy bears on.
The story I am looking for was in this collection it is this :

- It is set in a small village where there is a dark castle upon a hill that no one has ever been inside. One day the villages decide to send someone up to the castle to see who lives in there as no one has been in.
- a young girl either volunteers or is chosen to go to the castle on this hill. She goes there and discovers that living there is a woman who has become sad and withdrawn since her son died (I think it was her son but could have been someone else, definitely a family death though).
- She is very sad and lives alone. This young girl who was sent up meets her I think on the stairs maybe? There is a scene about some winding stairs I seem to remember, maybe something about a ghost?
- Then this young girl meets this woman who turns out to be really nice and this girl gives the woman in th castle her teddy bear to keep her company (that’s where the TEDDY BEARS come into it).
- Then this woman becomes happy and her castle changes from black to rainbow coloured and she joins the village again and is happy because of this girl giving her a teddy bear.

Please help if you know of this story, like I said it was in this teddy Bear Tales Collection.
Thank you. :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry forgot to mention, I am from the UK if that matters at all, I’m not sure if this book was English it could well have been! Thank you all.

message 3: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5055 comments Was the name of the book, "Teddy Bear Tales" or do you mean it was a book that contained tales about teddy bears?

Were their illustrations inside? If so, were they colorful, realistic, full page, etc?

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36583 comments Mod
Olly, is this a chapter book with mostly words - or a picture book (about 32-48 pages; e.g., Nora's Castle by Satomi Ichikawa)?

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments I can't find a list of the stories, but could it be A Book of Five-Minute Teddy Bear Tales?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone, thank you all so much for the help I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I simply cannot remember if the book was a picture book or not but I have an inkling that it was. I’m sure it was a children’s book so it must have coloured illustrations. In response to Tab, I’m fairly sure this story was in a collection of teddy bear tales and each story in this book had something to do with teddy bears. I could be wrong but I remember this little girl in the story giving the woman in the castle a teddy bear to console her. Thank you all again.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Kris, thanks for your suggestion about ‘Nora’s Castle’. I’ve never heard of this book but it does have a very similar plot to my story however I don’t think it is the same one. I’ve ordered a copy of the book from amazon so I will see when it arrives. thank you very much for your much appreciated help.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry, just to clarify the story that I am looking for was within a book about teddy bear tales. Basically I had a book that was made up of various stories about teddy bears or involving teddy bears in some way and this story was one of them. Thank you!!!

message 9: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1276 comments There's also "48 teddy bear tales" by Ladybird (Author) and Peter Stevenson (Illustrator). I don't know if the story you are looking for is in this collection but it does have an illustration of a picnic with teddy bears on the cover.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36583 comments Mod
Teddy Bear Tales by Malcolm Archer & Peter Stevenson (illustrator) (publisher: Ladybird) - Mai's suggestion

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Mai and Kris, thank you both so much for your help I really appreciate this. I’ve had a look at the book you suggested and it could be the one I’m looking for so I will order a copy on amazon and see if it is! Again, thank you both so much for the help. Have a good day!

message 12: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1276 comments I hope the story you are looking for is in this book! You too, have a good day!

(I thought Ladybird was an odd name for an author but that's how it was listed on Amazon... Thank you for the link, Kris!)

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40648 comments Mod
OP's account was deleted. Moving to NWNK.