Reading the Detectives discussion

General chat > Goodreads Latest "Improvement"

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 612 comments I got permission from Judy to put this thread up.

You will only see this ATM if you are a Feedback member, but GR is proposing to change how series are displayed.

See this thread. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

The title is very misleading as this affects desktop users as well. Super Librarian David's comic example now stretches over 129 pages, my Perry Mason over 6. That is a lot of clicking. & people are already complaining about descriptions being displayed leads to spoilers if you haven't read that far in the series.

If you are a series reader but aren't a Feedback member I would suggest joining to have your say. Bouquets or Brickbats (I'm a democratic sort) :)

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 3004 comments Mod
The link is not working for me ... but GR has amusing 'bad link' messages

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2177 comments I would second that as the "improvement" is awful. Series book covers take up pages of room and show spoilers

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 612 comments Ha! Should have tested more carefully

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

If you aren't a Feedback member everything will still look the same.

message 5: by Jill (last edited May 16, 2018 03:04PM) (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2177 comments https://www.goodreads.com/series/1352...

Here is an example of the series page for Freeman Wills Croft

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Ah ... I may be having problems because I'm not a feedback member. Jill's link works, but it is not the 'new, improved' version.

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 40 comments This is horrid and something I'm adamantly against, but obviously that won't work to change anything.

Just know, once this rolls out to the full site, that it will be impossible to avoid spoilers when looking at whatever pieces of the series I can see.

Seriously, though, a 30" computer screen and I can only see two books at once? ugh.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 612 comments Sandy wrote: "Ah ... I may be having problems because I'm not a feedback member. Jill's link works, but it is not the 'new, improved' version."

Yes you have to be a Feedback member to see it. I'll probably leave Feedback soon so I won't see it until the full rollout.

Every now & then they test things in Feedback. There is a storm of protest & they make a couple of minor changes to pretend they are listening. So I expect will be able to see our own ratings & maybe they might stop the descriptions. Maybe.

message 9: by Sandy (new)

I joined, looked at the new page, and expressed my disgust.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 612 comments Sandy wrote: "I joined, looked at the new page, and expressed my disgust."

Thanks Sandy.

message 11: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1441 comments I didn't even know that there were series pages!

For a long series it doesn't look very workable.

I was happy in my ignorance.

message 12: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited May 16, 2018 04:10PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 612 comments Jan C wrote: "I didn't even know that there were series pages!

I was happy in my ignorance."

All about more clicks so people see more ads.

I'm very slowly working my way through the Perry Mason series & use the series list to check which is the next book.

message 13: by Jan C (last edited May 16, 2018 04:12PM) (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1441 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Jan C wrote: "I didn't even know that there were series pages!

I was happy in my ignorance."

All about more clicks so people see more ads.

I'm v..."

I usually just check out what is next in a series by going to SYKM.com.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 612 comments I might check that one out - I only really read crime series anyway.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan | 10513 comments Mod
I always use Fantastic Fiction to check series lists. I never even realised they existed on Goodreads!

message 16: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 552 comments If they make this change, I'll only use Fantastic Fiction to check those. In general, their series orders seem to be more accurate than Goodreads in my experience.

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 9410 comments Mod
Thanks for the warning, Carol. This seems like a very pointless change - why would anyone want to have to scroll through huge covers when quickly checking what the next book in a series is? I will head over to the feedback thread to vent my spleen.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 612 comments Carolien wrote: "If they make this change, I'll only use Fantastic Fiction to check those. In general, their series orders seem to be more accurate than Goodreads in my experience."

Yes , Goodreads has it's own rules for series. For example, if most of your series is 20 full length books, but then you write a novella it will come in as #20 .5 not #21. If you ever see anything that is flat out wrong though you can query in the Librarians Group. I would do it quickly though as a lot of Librarians are saying they won't do series any more when the changes roll out. It would be an empty threat in my case as I rarely worked with them!

message 19: by Judy (new)

I see there is now a message in the Goodreads Feedback group saying the designers are making adjustments, but the only change I see so far is that it does say which books in a series I've read from the series page.

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments Just one more "improvement" that makes me think about leaving GR. The increased amount of space taken up by ads has already driven me to the edge - if I didn't have a few groups that I like (such as this one), I would have been gone.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 612 comments Leslie wrote: "Just one more "improvement" that makes me think about leaving GR. The increased amount of space taken up by ads has already driven me to the edge - if I didn't have a few groups that I like (such a..."

Adblock is great for this Leslie. I don't run Adblock on my phone as I think I should view some ads to support GR. This loyalty is being eroded.

& I have been told there are now visible changes in the "old" series pages. So much for testing int eh Feedback group before making any changes.

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan | 10513 comments Mod
I think I mentally block out ads.... I only use one or two sites on the internet - with Goodreads, I tend just to visit the groups I am a member of, so stay within limited confines. I can't use Goodreads on my phone though, I find it utterly frustrating!

message 23: by Judy (new)

I have complained about one or two ads which kept running non-stop videos, and am not seeing any of those at the moment, fingers crossed.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 612 comments I've never had a video on my phone while on GR, so I am speculating it's not worth the advertisers while.

Susan, I was using the Beta app - which is frustrating for groups. But I find it ok for reading reviews or checking my to-read shelves.

message 25: by Judy (new)

The videos were on my PC, Carol - fortunately I haven't seen them on my phone either!

Jay-me (Janet)  | 164 comments I have adblock on the desktop pc but not on my tablets (ipad and fire) but i do manage to ignore the ads.

I looked at the series page and found it useless for tracking the next book in some of the series that I am currently part way through. On the tablets because I prefer to use them landscape I could only see one book but even on the desktop it was not quite three.

I don't like the idea of changing the desktop version so that it is like the mobile version. I choose not to use the app on the tablets and I most definitely don't want to use it on the desktop.

I tried to switch to the mobile version to see how the group discussions were affected and it wouldn't switch.

Now the series are unusable I'm checking books elsewhere and the groups are all that is left here that is interesting.

message 27: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 40 comments I actually have seen the videos on my phone. Ugh.

If I had a decent alternative to GR, I would have been gone awhile back. I knew when I heard that Amazon had bought it out that they are a callous company who doesn't care to listen to people's needs. It's all about the dollar with them. The appalling way they treat their employees is enough to make me do my best to shop elsewhere....so I'm not surprised, just disappointed. I stay here because I like the people and because I can maintain my owned book list and watch my reading trends.

I have noticed there are less active people in the last number of months. Too many changes, I'd guess.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 612 comments Less Librarians active in the Librarian Group too. So less librarians handling requests.