Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Goodreads Latest Improvement

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4484 comments Mod
This will be of interest if you read a lot of series.

GR is looking at changing the way series are displayed. At the moment they are trialling it on members of the Feedback group only. Emily's thread header is very misleading. This change affects how series diplays on desktops too.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

If you are a reader of a short series, not so much of a problem. A long series like the Perry Mason will stretch over 6 pages. The books show part of the descriptions now which can be spoilers if you haven't read that far in the series.

Also some of the unhappy Feedback members are Librarians who do a lot of work in book series.

This may not affect a lot of you (I'm not a big series reader myself) But if you are & you don't like the changes join Feedback & have your say. (Or if you love it have your say - I'm a democratic type! :D )

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1136 comments Thank Carol,

I am a member of the feedback group, though I keep the updates “off” so that they don’t overwhelm.

I’ve just glanced at it. I’m going to look more closely when I get off work (I’m on break now😏.

At first glance, I don’t like the huge book covers. However, we didn’t like the huge bookcovers in our feed either from friend’s updates either.

I’m going to take a closer look and prepare feedback.

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Thank Carol,

I am a member of the feedback group, though I keep the updates “off” so that they don’t overwhelm.

I’ve just glanced at it. I’m going to look more closely when I get off work (I’m on..."

Make sure you click onDavid's example that now goes for 129 pages! ;)

Jay-me (Janet)  | 111 comments Thanks Carol for bringing this to my notice. I hadn't read the thread when skimming through posts as I don't use the mobile version so thought it wasn't relevant.

I'm rather distracted at the moment as my mum is undergoing treatment for cancer.

message 5: by Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (last edited May 20, 2018 12:11PM) (new)

Hi Sheila Majczan I have deleted your post.

* Off topic
* Voting for a competition for an American author - GH was British
* Your link doesn't work.

Jay-me (Janet) wrote: "Thanks Carol for bringing this to my notice. I hadn't read the thread when skimming through posts as I don't use the mobile version so thought it wasn't relevant.

I'm rather distracted at the mom..."

Jay-me so sorry about your mother.

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 443 comments I realise it's far less series than messing up the series's, I must say that I think the move of the 'follow' button from the side to top and making it huuuuge is both unnecessary and ugly. Why did they do it?

message 8: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2724 comments Mod
Nick wrote: "I realise it's far less series than messing up the series's, I must say that I think the move of the 'follow' button from the side to top and making it huuuuge is both unnecessary and ugly. Why did..."

I suspect it is a misguided, desperate attempt to try to be more like facebook, instagram, twitter, etc.

message 9: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 443 comments Here's hoping GR doesn't start attracting the twitter demographic! I've got all the vitriolic political fights that I can handle already.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 111 comments After the long thread with mostly negative feedback on the re-arrangement of the series page, and the new layout which seems to be pushing "Follow" rather than "Friend" the latest debates that are raging on the Feedback thread are privacy matters. Some members received notifications that they might be interested in following an actress who apparently has joined GoodReads. At first the thought seemed to be that this was spam - but it turns out to be a new idea that is being tested. Currently there is no option to opt out of receiving any future notifications.

The second item is that some people are being made aware that their email addresses are being shown - even if they have selected for it to be shown to friends only or to no-one.

It seems that the way forward for GoodReads is to make the desktop version work as the mobile version does . If I was looking at the series page on a tiny screen then seeing a larger book cover might be a good thing. It is definitely not a good thing on my desktop monitor when I can't see all the covers in a relatively small series of only four books.

Thank you Carol for your kind words re my mother. My reading (and crafting if I can find the time) is one of the few things that give me light relief.

message 11: by Hana (last edited Jun 12, 2018 07:25AM) (new)

Hana | 652 comments Jayme, firstly my condolences on your mother. I am so glad you are finding comfort with good books and crafting.

I was away from Goodread last week since I got bogged down with work and other distractions. I came back this AM to find a notification from GR to follow someone called Sarah Jessica Parker and be 'inspired'. Since I mostly live in another century I had no idea who this Parker person was I googled the name and it's an actress who was in a TV show called Sex in the City.

All I can say is if Goodreads is experimenting with Facebook-style algorithms, they need to hire better programmers (but we knew that already, didn't we)!

Me? Follow this person? Goodreads....I hate to break it to you but I have no TV, almost never watch DVDs, insist on clean reads and rarely pay attention to anything that happened later than 1950 :D If your programmers were any good they would already know this from my profile, reading lists, reviews and comments! My privacy is probably intact, but only through GR incompetence.

message 12: by Hana (new)

Hana | 652 comments Nick wrote: "Here's hoping GR doesn't start attracting the twitter demographic! I've got all the vitriolic political fights that I can handle already."

Amen to that, Nick!

message 13: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 511 comments Hannah, there is a lot of activity on social media around celebrities and reading, which is encouraging younger people to read. With all the “screens” that can vie for their attention, I view that in a generally positive way. I raised my kids to read, but not everyone does. We particularly read a lot while we were in England, as we only had four channels. We loved visits to the library where everyone got to choose their favorites for the week, and my mom sent me books every week from the U.S. I taught literature and writing at the college level, & the Navy sent my books with us as “professional”, so I had many books my children could use in school. (Some parents would take all the books for a research project from the local library to prevent access to the other children & guarantee a better grade to their children. Fortunately, I had my own library full of books on such topics as Tudor/Stuart England which allowed my daughter to do well, and we lent them out to other students when we found out what was happening). Goodreads is a stepchild of Amazon, and I suspect these forays into marketing with the stars originate with them.

My daughter works in the Silicon Valley, and knows Goodreads employees. She was telling them “my mom loves Goodreads” and one of the sighed, and said, “Everyone’s mom loves Goodreads”.

My philosophy is take what works, and ignore the rest. I ignore the notifications that don’t work for me. I personally like Sarah Jessica Parker well enough, and am glad Hogarth is trying to reach younger/different readers through their various imprints. On the other hand, I read & re-read our beloved Georgette, as well as many books with Retro Reads dating from before 1950, and many classics from before that. As the rector of our church in Gerrards Cross observed at one coffee hour, I am the most widely read person he had ever encountered, which he found surprising in an American...I got that a lot when we traveled. As I grew up with voracious readers in our little college town, I found it puzzling...reading was, and is, like breathing to me...necessary for life. But “ugly (and unread) Americans” have given us a bad name. Our current Resident of the WH is not helping with that, tv is his metier...I miss the pictures of President Obama shopping in bookstores with his family.

I recently gave a book to a new friend, she complained of picking books up & not finishing them. This one, she told me, made her forget about tv the whole time she was reading it, shut it off for several nights. If anyone I can do that for another person, celebrity or not, I think it is a good thing. There are so many screens in our lives, and that can be wonderful, but I think entering the world of books...particularly actual books...is an experience rich and wonderful. You don’t need anyone to open the door for you, obviously, nor do I...but a surprising amount of people do.

Sorry for going on at length, you just got me thinking and this is what happened. ;-). Have a great day!

message 14: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 269 comments Kim wrote: "Hannah, there is a lot of activity on social media around celebrities and reading, which is encouraging younger people to read. With all the “screens” that can vie for their attention, I view that ..."

Perfectly said, and totally agreed with, Kim. We have a lot of "ugly, unread New Zealanders" too. I think the whole world would benefit from shutting off their screens and discovering the joy of reading. Although, having said that, most of my reading is from a screen these days! :)

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 511 comments I count “readers” as books, although my Kindle Fire can be just as distracting as any other screen. There are good tv shows, my husband and I are in an on-going discourse as a result of starting to watch Dietland together, and I am now reading the book and thoroughly enjoying its dark humor. I was put off by the title, but the writing on the show and the fabulous actors, male, female, tiger, and whatever/whomever will appear next, led by the fabulous Joy Nash, have won me over. Over all, the availability of literature & story in so many forms is a wealth beyond my imagining as a child, it was a challenge to keep up with my appetite for reading. But when it is just me, a book, and a bottle of water in my backyard under a shade tree, that is undistracted heaven.

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 1201 comments Absolutely agree with you Kim. I could read before I went to schools and used our wonderful Public Library system throughout my childhood and teens. My parents could not afford to buy books all the time but I always got books for birthdays and Christmas. I loved everything - the classics, mysteries and crime thrillers, science fiction, historical fiction, romances, etc etc. For me, reading has been lifeblood to all my life.
However, I must say, thee are as many Brits who don’t read and I am always astonished when people admit - almost proudly -that they don’t read anything! I am for anything which actually gets young people reading. I love re-reading books that I first read 50or 60 years ago - my experience is always different because I am different. As for Georgette Heyer, she remains my absolute favourite go-to read of all time. There is something for every situation and every mood. Fabulous!

message 17: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Hana wrote: "Jayme, firstly my condolences on your mother. I am so glad you are finding comfort with good books and crafting.

I was away from Goodread last week since I got bogged down with work and other dist..."

Hana, you pretty much summed up my life, (although I admit to a tv which I actually watch at times, but rarely the network stuff), and when I googled Sarah Jessica Parker (I know who she is because my kids think that Hocus Pocus is the perfect Halloween movie. They're weird.), I found out that she is 53 years old. So, if Goodreads is trying to attract a younger market share, I have to wonder what their idea of younger is...

message 18: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1409 comments SJP was a child actress. She starred in the original Broadway production of Annie and many other shows. Like Karlyne's kids, I know her from Hocus Pocus. She has two young daughters with her husband, actor Matthew Broderick. She has become best known for Sex in the City. Her movie career has been mediocre at best and she currently stars in a TV show I never heard of that I think is on Netflix?

message 19: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 269 comments Susan in Perthshire wrote: "Absolutely agree with you Kim. I could read before I went to schools and used our wonderful Public Library system throughout my childhood and teens. My parents could not afford to buy books all the..."

Susan we shared identical childhoods although on opposite sides of the world! :) I also love re-reading books from 50-60 years ago and being transported back to those summer days when I escaped to my hide (fork of a willow tree) to read without disturbance. *sigh* for all that over again! (Although I couldn't climb the tree now)

I'm glad my GR addiction meant I was still reading here while I was away as otherwise GR's latest improvements would have come as a nasty shock.

I didn't know anyone who was unhappy with their profile page (other than wanting the ability to flag spam profiles without an avatar) Now it's a mess & I think the circular avatars look silly.

I actually got the GR trifecta while I was away. I foolishly re-enabled my messages going to email & got another review request fromBrett Arquette the spammiest author I've struck on GR. GR has kicked him off the site but he has found a way around this.

Then I got the spammy following request from Goodreads for Sarah Jessica Parker. I did watch early episodes of SITC but lost interest - & she was my least favourite cast member. GR has merrily over ridden all our profile settings. I did wonder if the latest bug (some members are reporting their email address is visible when they send a friend request) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... was GR developers changing our settings to enable this.Massive breach of members' privacy.

& then a spam friend request offering me a (no doubt virus laden) download of a book I have already read! GR said they had stopped members adding URLs to their profiles while they fixed this. Clearly the fix didn't work.

I'm really worried what GR has planned for groups.

message 21: by Critterbee❇ (new)

I have been getting a lot of nefarious friend requests, all with Russian Cyrillic in them, from people with few or no friends, and few or no books shelved. I have started screenshotting and sending them to GR.

I don't like the changes to the series pages, I don't like being notified that Sarah Jessica Parker, a 'notable person' is now on GR and that I should follow her, and I don't like the changes to the profile pages - round profile pics, huge ugly follow buttons, and hidden options to block or compare books.

I do like the groups the way they are, and hope they do not fix what is not broken.

❇Critterbee wrote: "I have been getting a lot of nefarious friend requests, all with Russian Cyrillic in them, from people with few or no friends, and few or no books shelved. I have started screenshotting and sending..."

Yes, GR thought they had fixed that one.

The only change I like is that GR has made the block people option easier to find.

& GR's latest privacy breech. :(

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I'm going to create an email account that is only for GR & I'll hope that is enough.

message 24: by Critterbee❇ (new)

That is a good idea, Carol.

message 25: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I think that one issue is the mobile user vs. pc user. I prefer to use the pc version for 99% of things. But if you use the mobile more of the time you probably have a different outlook. Also there's the perspective of change. Change is stressful. No matter how good the changes, there will be people that hate it.

I prefer the original Scooby, the B&W version of the Thing, and I'm never sure about re-doing the classic comics.

Others can't stand the thought of a black President, interracial relationships, or women in places of power.

Just a few thoughts. Hope they're not offensive. I hardly ever use the app and when it comes to series I prefer FictFact.com

Kirsten wrote: "I think that one issue is the mobile user vs. pc user. I prefer to use the pc version for 99% of things. But if you use the mobile more of the time you probably have a different outlook. Also there..."

Well...I would dispute that a site now owned by one of the world's richest men can't afford to run two systems. &, as I said on a similar discussion on Retro Reads, one problem GR now has is that a lot of the work is done by volunteers (librarians) & a lot of us really hate these changes.

message 27: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 269 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "I think that one issue is the mobile user vs. pc user. I prefer to use the pc version for 99% of things. But if you use the mobile more of the time you probably have a different out..."

As a GR Librarian (and one in real life) I find the changes they've made in several areas make the voluntary work of we librarians much more difficult to understand and execute, and in many cases, go against my principles as a cataloguer. So, it isn't so much because I hate the changes, as I just find them incomprehensible and, in many cases, unnecessary. Hence the reason I only do odd fix ups when I come across them myself.

As I continue to get Russian hack friend requests, I also become increasingly concerned about the security of this website. If 'someone' can hack and edit another persons already established account, then how long before our own accounts suffer the same 'editing'? Yes, most of the accounts currently being taken over by ?? have not been used for a few years, but that doesn't mean they can't hack currently used accounts and create mayhem with your reading history, privacy etc.

And all these changes purported to be to attract the Millennials who never stay in one place long enough, and if not already readers, are unlikely to suddenly become a reader because of GR. So, next thought is will GR remain a reader's website, or will it be morphed into something else that the Millennials think they have the need for?

A friend of mine emailed support about one of the Russian hacks. Support removed the account from her friend request list but didn't delete the account even though the original account user had been gone for years!!! Presumably the hackers can just keep reusing these accounts.

Lesley, the only way to stop the hackers is to have a question for friend requests that requires a specific one word answer. Also stops the friend collectors.

message 29: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 269 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "A friend of mine emailed support about one of the Russian hacks. Support removed the account from her friend request list but didn't delete the account even though the original account user had bee..."

That's right, Carol. While it means you don't have to ignore requests you don't want, it doesn't improve our security here, and that bothers me a little more that incessant friend requests.

message 30: by Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (last edited Jun 30, 2018 03:20PM) (new)

Yes one of my sisters (never very active on GR) left years ago. I'm going to suggest to her she should delete her account.

message 31: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 269 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Yes one of my sisters (never very active on GR) left years ago. I'm going to suggest to her she should delete her account."

Good idea.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.