Play Book Tag discussion

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
This topic is about Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
May 2018: Family Drama > Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See ~ 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joni (last edited May 16, 2018 03:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joni | 625 comments I listened to this book on audio and found it very well done. I really enjoyed it. I wanted to keep listening until I was finished.

This book was full of "family drama"....from mothers, siblings, aunts and foot binding to arranged marriages to the birth of children (boys preferred over girls) to "old sames".

The description in detail about the foot binding was very interesting but very very difficult to listen to. It made my feet hurt.

An arranged marriage can either work or it can't. In this book, they worked but Lily's was a good marriage where the husband was kind and considerate whereas Snow Flower's marriage was not...her mother-in-law was not nice and her husband abusive.

A long the way there was a lot of confusion and lies between the "old sames", Lily and Snow Flower.

Very much worth the read and/or listen . I highly recommend it.

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Great to know that the audio of this is good!!

Ellen | 2318 comments I loved this one too.

message 4: by Ladyslott (last edited May 23, 2018 09:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ladyslott | 1880 comments One of my favorite books, and I think the best of Lisa See's books although I've enjoyed most of her books.

message 5: by Karin (last edited May 17, 2018 06:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karin | 7466 comments Yes, it's an excellent book! In fact, its being so good was what helped start me on my huge summer reading roll because I didn't want to put it down. My husband was out of town and, voila, staycation was begun for me.

Cynda  (cynda) I love the idea of possibly oppressed women being able to communicate with nu shu.

Hahtoolah | 439 comments I loved this book. It is my favorite by this author.