Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
This topic is about The Battle of the Labyrinth
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Battle of the Labyrinth [July 20, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margret | 2982 comments Mod
July 20th

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1498 comments Started this one today. Not sure where I am because the audiobook doesn't list the chapter, but I think I'm in chapter four or five. Enjoying the setup so far.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1498 comments Just finished chapter 9. (view spoiler)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1498 comments I think I'm around chapter 13, maybe. (view spoiler)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1498 comments just finished. I enjoyed this one a lot. I had forgotten a lot of the details. It ends with a bit more of a cliffhanger than I think the others did.

message 6: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Hansen | 12 comments C.P. wrote: "just finished. I enjoyed this one a lot. I had forgotten a lot of the details. It ends with a bit more of a cliffhanger than I think the others did."

I totally agree. To be honest, this is one of my favourite books in the pjo series. (view spoiler) What was your favourite part?

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1498 comments I'm not sure what my favorite part was. I did like the one you mentioned. And I liked the overall tone of this one. And (view spoiler)

message 8: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Hansen | 12 comments Oh yeah! (view spoiler)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1498 comments Yes, I agree. (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 9978 comments I burned through this at work last night... in a lot of ways, more of the same things I said about previous books... ignoring gut instinct, etc...

I thought the beginning of the book was funny... (view spoiler)

I agree that this was a lot more cliffhangery than most... I was worried there wasn't going to be much of a conclusion to this one, for a minute there, (view spoiler)

Annabeth/Luke: (view spoiler)

message 11: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1498 comments Iain wrote: "I burned through this at work last night... in a lot of ways, more of the same things I said about previous books... ignoring gut instinct, etc...

I thought the beginning of the book was funny... ..."

I was thinking the same thing at the end. (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 9978 comments C.P. wrote: "Iain wrote: "I burned through this at work last night... in a lot of ways, more of the same things I said about previous books... ignoring gut instinct, etc...

I thought the beginning of the book ..."

A LOT of time passed in that last chapter... (view spoiler)

message 13: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1498 comments Iain wrote: "C.P. wrote: "Iain wrote: "I burned through this at work last night... in a lot of ways, more of the same things I said about previous books... ignoring gut instinct, etc...

I thought the beginning..."

(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 9978 comments I guess every book takes place at the beginning of summer... just seems more important/obvious in this one, since there's less camp-time...

message 15: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1498 comments Yeah. Except book 3, didn't that take place in Winter?

message 16: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Hansen | 12 comments C.P. wrote: "Yeah. Except book 3, didn't that take place in Winter?"

Yup it did. And I I totally agree with your point, but I do think in book 5, if any of you have read that yet, the problem with him just heading home does get explained in some kind of way (that is all I can say without spoiling)

message 17: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1498 comments I have read book five, just don't remember all of the details. It was around seven years ago.

Timelord Iain | 9978 comments This is my first time...

message 19: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Hansen | 12 comments Nice!

I'm sorry if I sound like I am criticising you, but when I was 12 I almost only read this book series, so I have a weird amount of knowledge about the series XD

Timelord Iain | 9978 comments No worries... when I was younger I read Dinosaurs Before Dark, but there were only 6 books at the time... by the time I went to college there were over 50, but I'd missed my chance to get enjoyment out of them...

I mostly read Animorphs and Harry Potter and Book of Names, before eventually just moving on to adult books early, I think...

In college I went back and read Mister Monday and The Merchant of Death because my brother had them, and once those series were done I abandoned YA for the most part...

message 21: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1498 comments I didn't read these until I was in college. I don't really remember what I read when I was younger, aside from Harry Potter and a few other books. I know I read a lot, just not specific books. I was at the library all the time.

I'm guessing you have read the series multiple times, Jasmin?

Timelord Iain | 9978 comments I read a bunch of stuff I've forgotten... some Box Car Children, Hardy Boys, Encyclopedia Brown, Wayside School is Falling Down, Babysitter's Club, Goosebumps, and on and on and on... but I always liked series, and eventually moved on to adult books...

Outlander, Terry Goodkind, Wheel of Time -- books I tried, or never continued with book 2...

Jack Reacher, Lee or Lincoln Child, all the John Grisham legal thrillers... a ton of stuff, really...

message 23: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1498 comments I know I read a lot of YA books when I was a teen, but I barely remember any of them. I just know I was always at the library checking out books.

message 24: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Hansen | 12 comments Oh yeah, I have read a lot of YA books and kids fantasy book. This is mostly due to the time that I read a lot when I was kid, but as I am getting older I am getting more occupied by life and have less and less time to spend on reading (writing on the side does not especially help either).

Funnily I can't actually name a series on the top of my head other than those I read in my 'childhood' (I'm still technically a teenager so the term is pretty relative), which is GoT, PJO, HP, RA, all of Tamora Pierce's books. This is probably mostly due to the fact that I lately have been exploring with more genres and have paid a visit or two to the classics.

message 25: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1498 comments I also read a lot of Eoin Colfer books. And The Cry of the Icemark series. Those I do remember reading.

What do you write? I'm a writer, so I'm always curious.

Timelord Iain | 9978 comments I didn't read much between the ages of 14-23... mostly my high school and college years... video games and other things distracted me... I eased back in after college, reading the first Shannara trilogy, all the Jack Reacher books I didn't read as a kid, all the Harry Bosch and Lincoln Lawyer books, the Dresden Files series, and a couple others maybe... then I got a Kindle in 2012 and that REALLY kickstarted me in 2013... and here I am 5 years and 1500 books later

message 27: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Hansen | 12 comments Mostly I write short stories, but I do have an outcast for a fantasy novel and currently I am writing a realistic fiction novel.

Also Eoin Colfer? Love his books.

And nice to hear that Kindle got you kickstarted. I have been wondering for a while if I should get one, but mostly I do prefer physical books :-)

message 28: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1498 comments Cool! And yes, Eoin Colfer is excellent.

I didn't read much during college either. I did take a semester off and read a bunch of books then. That was when I became a huge Dean Koontz fan. I read 17 of his books in three months.

I got a kindle a few years ago in order to review books. I like it, but I don't use it all that much now. Usually only for reviewing things.

Timelord Iain | 9978 comments Jasmin wrote: "Mostly I write short stories, but I do have an outcast for a fantasy novel and currently I am writing a realistic fiction novel.

Also Eoin Colfer? Love his books.

And nice to hear that Kindle go..."

I've worked night shift for 9 years now... Kindle's direct-download capabilities just were so convenient...

message 30: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Hansen | 12 comments *outline

Yeah I get that. I do sometimes read an ebook via the local library, but I always end up getting a headache, so I try to avoid them at much as I can.

message 31: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1498 comments What do you read ebooks on? Kindle is much better than a phone or computer, in my opinion.

Timelord Iain | 9978 comments Yea... the e-ink and backlight controls are better, I think... Amazon put a lot of work into making their e-reader feel like reading a book as much as possible...

message 33: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Hansen | 12 comments C.P. wrote: "What do you read ebooks on? Kindle is much better than a phone or computer, in my opinion."

It's called ereolenglobal/libby (depending on if I am reading on my phone or computer).

Also e-ink? How exactly does that work?

Timelord Iain | 9978 comments It's kinda like the Etch-a-Sketch screen... the display or whatever flashes solid black/white to clear the ink and print a new page when you change pages... at the right angle, there's a bit of a ghost image bleed-through of the ink... at least in the older models... they've gotten faster/better with each model...

message 35: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Hansen | 12 comments Oh. That's cool.