Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)
This topic is about The Titan's Curse
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Titan's Curse [June 20, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
June 20th

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Started this one and have listened to 6 chapters. I like that there doesn't seem to be as much info dumping this time around. Book 2 got a bit tiresome with that.

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 3 stars

Timelord Iain | 17964 comments Mod
1%: I forgot who Thalia was... wasn't sure if I was supposed to know her... glad that sorted itself out quick...

5%: (view spoiler)

10%: (view spoiler)

15-20%: (view spoiler)

25-30%: (view spoiler)

35-40%: (view spoiler)

40%: (view spoiler)

50%: (view spoiler)

50-60%: (view spoiler)

message 4: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments As promised, I shall stalk this thread.

15-20: (view spoiler)

25-30: Yep. It's pointless and it's never that much of a plot point.

35-40: is this the Ariadne thing?

40: I love the di Angelo backstory there is so much DRAMA in there. (view spoiler)

message 5: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha wrote: "As promised, I shall stalk this thread.

15-20: [spoilers removed]

25-30: Yep. It's pointless and it's never that much of a plot point.

35-40: is this the Ariadne thing?

40: I love the di Angel..."

I had to look up Flanderization... I'd heard the name before, and read the definition, but forgot it, neighborooni...

Yes on the Ariadne thing...

Luke: (view spoiler)

message 6: by Sha (last edited Jun 19, 2018 09:58PM) (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments Oops sorry. I tend to use TVTropes terms as dictionary words. I think I was overexposed to the site at some point in my life...

Luke's character isn't done with his oscillation between "EVUL" and "MISUNDERSTOOD." My sympathies are non existent. Well. Except for his backstory because that was shitty and dramatic.

message 7: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments Shitty in a GOOD way I mean.

message 8: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha wrote: "Oops sorry. I tend to use TVTropes terms as dictionary words. I think I was overexposed to the site at some point in my life...

Luke's character isn't done with his oscillation between "EVUL" and ..."

All the misunderstandings were front-loaded... now it's just all evil... I used to troll around TVTropes more in college... I use terms like Power Creep and Reset Button to describe characters issues, more than anything else from there... and maybe Deus Ex Machina / MacGuffin / Mary Sue / Gary Stu...

message 9: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments Idiot Ball! I use that one a lot. Although sometimes I go with the more generic Plot-convenient Stupidity. I am also fond of Informed Ability & Instant Expert, since I've been trying hard to stay away from blanket classification of characters to Sue/Stu without explaining why. Also, Romantic Plot Tumor, as in the first three St. Mary's books suffer from a bad case of Romantic Plot Tumor.

MacGuffin is a very useful term. Also Phlebotnium.

message 10: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha wrote: "Idiot Ball! I use that one a lot. Although sometimes I go with the more generic Plot-convenient Stupidity. I am also fond of Informed Ability & Instant Expert, since I've been trying hard to stay a..."

Yea... I hate when characters are experts on things, just because it creates an existing character that can explain something to the MC/reader/viewer...

I don't throw Mary Sue around often... I hear it connected to The Hollows by Kim Harrison... and Anita Blake by LKH...and I freely used it in my review of Perilous Waif even tho I loved it...

The Marla Mason series really leans into the tropes, and then defies them at times...

message 11: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments I used to use Mary Sue a lot, before I realized that the description of the term varied widely among people and could mean almost anything and so was a very dangerous term to throw around. I used to use it to indicate a character who wraps the plot around themselves and causes all the surrounding characters to act differently around them because of... the black-hole like force of their personality, I guess? Even then it was not a very exact definition, so I switched to using specifics.

(not that it stopped me from writing a fanfiction.net guide about the various types of sues one may encounter in fiction. ah, younger me was far less aware of context.)

I've never read Marla Mason or the Hollows. That to read list is really ridiculously long at this point...

message 12: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marla Mason is a fun series... basically about a villain who does nice things because they fit into her goals of power... it all falls apart around book 5 tho... then the 2nd arc kinda leads to her actually becoming a hero, with some bumps along the way...

Mary Sue: I always thought/heard it as a wish fulfillment story... the main character description matches the author and/or s/he goes on to have ridiculous powers in comparison to everyone around him/her...

Your description is a pretty accurate reflection of Anita Blake books 10-25+, I think...

message 13: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments //promptly adds marla mason to to-read list

Mary Sue: I always thought/heard it as a wish fulfillment story... the main character description matches the author and/or s/he goes on to have ridiculous powers in comparison to everyone around him/her...
That's the traditional fandom definition (it origination with an old star trek character or something) but it gradually got co-opted into meaning "character who i think is too overpowered/does not have any flaws", which is a very subjective definition. I've seen everyone from Annabeth to Hermione being called a Sue. So it just eventually stopped meaning much...

I skimmed through most of the Anita Blake books, especially the latter ones. I was just there for the vampire politics (not the were politics oh god no).

message 14: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sha wrote: "//promptly adds marla mason to to-read list

Mary Sue: I always thought/heard it as a wish fulfillment story... the main character description matches the author and/or s/he goes on to have ridicul..."

it's best to read Bone Shop first, I think... it shows Marla's road to power from Muggle to Ruler of Felport... the first book in the series kinda throws you into the deep-end in Los Angeles trying to fix a mishap in Felport...

message 15: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Alright, finished this one and forgot to make updates as I went. I did really enjoy my reread. This one was better than The Sea of Monsters. A lot of that had to do with the fact that there wasn't a ton of info dumping, which got irksome in that one.

(view spoiler)

Anyway, I enjoyed this but not as much as when I was 19 and read them for the first time.