Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Sabriel [May 25,2018]

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
may 25

message 2: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Thanks Margaret 😊😊😊

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Enjoy! I love this book!

message 4: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian | 26 comments I'll join you, since I bought the Old Kingdom Collection a while ago. I started before I saw this BR, so I am already in chapter 8. However, I think this won't be a problem.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Not a problem at all.

Kristen | 4 comments I might join too. This book has been on my shelf forever.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3613 comments I really liked this book too. And for those considering the audiobook, Tim Curry is the narrator.

message 8: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I ordered this book randomly without being aware there is a buddy read. It arrived today and I just saw this buddy read. Good timing! ;)
So I guess I'll be in.

Hacen | 883 comments I’ll join in if y’all continue with the series.

message 10: by Sebastian (last edited May 27, 2018 12:33AM) (new)

Sebastian | 26 comments Well, I finished chapter 8 now and I am a bit ambivalent up till now. The book is not a pageturner for me, although the world seems original and interesting for me.
But I am missing some Awesomeness...

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments I admit I read a few chapters ages ago but I am gonna start reading it tomorrow and see where I get to

message 12: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 306 comments Sebastian wrote: "Well, I finished chapter 8 now and I am a bit ambivalent up till now. The book is not a pageturner for me, although the world seems original and interesting for me.
But I am missing some Awesomenes..."

I'm the same Sebastian. I finished up to chapter 9 and it hasn't really grabbed me yet. Nothing really exciting going on imo. I'm hoping it picks up.

message 13: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm going to try and read a little tonight. Hopefully I have better luck than you guys with the beginning. I know nothing about the series, but for some reason I've always been a bit wary. So we shall see.

message 14: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I`m almost done (I had a lot of free time yesterday and it`s a pretty quick read anyways) and I like it but I don`t love it.
The world is interesting although I would have liked a few more background informations and details every now and then.
Maybe the problem is that I`m usually reading adult fantasy that is a lot more complex than this book so YA is feeling to bland for me. Does anybody else feel that way?

Up to chapter 8/9 (hope the spoiler-thing is working): (view spoiler)

message 15: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I've only read the prologue, but so far I'm intrigued.

I do go through phases where certain genres/age categories don't work as well for me, Bea. So that's understandable.

message 16: by Emily (last edited May 27, 2018 06:26PM) (new) - added it

Emily | 306 comments Bea wrote: "I`m almost done (I had a lot of free time yesterday and it`s a pretty quick read anyways) and I like it but I don`t love it.
The world is interesting although I would have liked a few more backgro..."

Yes, I get the bland feeling from this book so far Bea, I haven't gotten any further yet, hopefully tonight.

As for your spoilers (up to chapter 10)(view spoiler)

Kristen | 4 comments I just finished chapter 3. I'm a bit behind -- I was obsessively playing the last of us. Now that I'm done with the game, I can get back to my regularly scheduled reading times :D

I am liking the book so far. Sabriel seems like a great character, and I love the fact that seems so strong/independent.

message 18: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2052 comments @Emily: (view spoiler)

Since I`m done now, here are a few of my general thoughts on the book. There are no explicit plot spoilers but if you want to read on with an unsullied opinion, maybe don`t open it :)
(view spoiler)

message 19: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 306 comments I'm really struggling with this one guys. I'm at 49% and it still hasn't really grabbed me. I have another buddy read starting tomorrow so I may put this one aside until I finish that buddy read, but I will try to make it to the end.

message 20: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I still haven't read past the first couple of chapters. I need to get more read. Interested to see if I struggle with it how all of you seem to be.

message 21: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 306 comments C.P. wrote: "I still haven't read past the first couple of chapters. I need to get more read. Interested to see if I struggle with it how all of you seem to be."

Bea seemed to get through it pretty quickly, but I haven't heard much from everyone else, lol. It will be interesting to see how you go C.P.

message 22: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I've been super slow with everything, so me not being around isn't a surprise. What I've read I've found interesting. So I guess we'll see. I've heard great things.

Kristen | 4 comments I'm liking it quite a bit so far. I'm around 160 I think. I've misplaced my book though, so no reading tonight :(

message 24: by Sebastian (last edited May 31, 2018 01:50AM) (new)

Sebastian | 26 comments Well, I finished. I could not read much this week, because I was watching Deadpool 2 and Solo (which were both fun!) and, you know, I had to work and stuff. But yesterday I finished. So, here is my opinion:
The short (hidden to leave you your own opinion, no spoilers): (view spoiler)
The slightly longer (real spoilers ahead)(view spoiler)

message 25: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2052 comments @Sebastian: (view spoiler)

message 26: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian | 26 comments @Bea: (view spoiler)

message 27: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2052 comments @Sebastian (view spoiler)

message 28: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian | 26 comments @Bea: Ja, bin ich ;)

message 29: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm around 7 chapters in, I believe. It's interesting, but I don't feel like anything with much substance has happened yet.

message 30: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 306 comments @ Bea and @ Sebastian

I read your comments because I don't feel like I'm invested enough in the story and characters to be disappointed by spoilers. Neither one of you has said anything I disagree with up to this point, and I'm kind of sorry to hear that it doesn't sound like it gets a whole lot better (at least for me, not speaking for what anyone else might think), lol. Most definitely not upset with your opinion Sebastian. Thanks for the insights. Hopefully I'll manage to finish this one eventually. As I said, just started another buddy read that I'm enjoying a lot more (because of the book itself, not the company, you guys are great :-) )

FYI you both write English very well, I'm fairly certain I understood everything that you were trying to say.

On a side note, I hope to visit Germany someday, my husband LOVES it there, he has been 5 times so far.

message 31: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I want to visit Germany as well! I want to visit most places in the world.

message 32: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 306 comments Yes I agree C.P. There are very few places in the world I would turn down a visit to.

message 33: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2052 comments @Sebastian: Es ist immer schön zu wissen, dass es noch andere Leute gibt, die gern englische (Fantasy-) Bücher lesen :) (= it´s always nice to know there are other (german) people who like to read english fantasy books)

@Emily: I`m sorry to hear you are struggling with the book so much, but if you don`t enjoy a certain book there`s nothing you can do, Yeah, I agree it probably won`t get any better for you if you`re not enjoying it up to now.
And thank you, I`m trying my best :)

Travelling: (view spoiler)

message 34: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian | 26 comments Thank you very much, Emily. I read and listen to English quite a bit, but is always different, if you trying to write something. It has been a while since I wrote my opinion on a book in English, since lately it was all work related.

Strangely, I have never been to the UK or Ireland for a longer stay (more than a week), but I was lucky enough to study in the US for a term. Nowadays, with my son beeing 3 years old, I do not travel as much as I like anymore, but overall there are still a lot places left I like to go.

On the book: To my mind it got a bit better around the middle, when some travel companions are met (I think this does not qualify as spoiler?), but this did not change my overall opinion on the book.

message 35: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm about 72% in and I'm liking it but also feeling a bit underwhelmed. Not sure how best to describe it. (view spoiler)

Hoping to finish tomorrow.

message 36: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Just finished. I liked this well enough, but never found myself fully invested. Not sure that I will continue with the series.

message 37: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 306 comments Sorry guys. I'm DNFing this one for the time being.

message 38: by Sha (new) - added it

Sha | 1522 comments Also DNFing at approximately chapter 2. I can't get into it rn.

message 39: by C.P. (new) - rated it 3 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments That's understandable.

message 40: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I took my rating down to 2 stars because retrospectively it was just to unmemorable for a 3-star read.
So I understand the dnfs.