Diana Dame's All-Stars discussion

2017-2018 > Book Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana Dame | 1 comments Mod
Add a book and author to this list with your name to recommend it to students next year.

message 2: by Cooper (new)

Cooper Johnson | 1 comments Boy in Striped Pajams
John Boyne

I would definitely recommend this book, it's amazing and its impossible to put down. the only thing I thought could have been better was the ended, it was a little abrupt and didn't give much information. it just ended. I loved this book. even if you don't enjoy learning about the holocaust I can still assure you will enjoy this book. it's a very different perspective on anything I have ever learned from the Holocaust. good book

message 3: by Grace (new)

Grace Yeary | 1 comments The Passage
Justin Cronin

Would absolutely recommend the Passage, it is a story about the end of the world that was done so well its hard to put down. It is really long and takes a bit to get into it but once it gets going its so good.

message 4: by Henry (new)

Henry Morrison | 1 comments The Boys of Winter: The Untold Story of a Coach, a Dream, and the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team

I would recommend this book to any sports fan, it is about the 1980 olympic hockey team and I thought that it was really good

message 5: by Erika (new)

Erika Goth | 1 comments The Art of Racing in the Rain

I would recommend this book to anyone who love animals. This tory is written in the perspective of a dog who believes he was meant to be a human. It follows his life as he goes through life's ups and downs with his owners: father, mother, and daughter. I loved this book, it is both heart warming and sad, and I was able to connect to their characters and actually enjoy this book.

message 6: by Jesse (new)

Jesse Lopez | 1 comments Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!: Adventures of a Curious Character
Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman is an amazing book. It's an entire collection of Richer Life and how his experience shapes him. His Curiosity is so contagious that when I was done reading the book I too was Interested in the world around me.

message 7: by Kelanii (new)

Kelanii Scarpaci | 1 comments I would recommend If I Stay to anyone who likes a suspenseful sad story. This book is a love story about a girl who has to decided if she lives or not

message 8: by Kai (new)

Kai Tortilla (LittleTortillaBoy) | 1 comments Holes

I would recommend this book because it's a very different type of story. The story build up is pretty cliche, but as the book goes on it slowly transitions from Drama to Mystery. Also, the way he describes food deeper into the book is like, woah. The way onions are described when they are on a mountain just makes them sound very tasty.

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Lipsey | 1 comments The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
I would recommend the book "The Four Agreements" because it teaches one a lot about self control and mindfulness. It is a very insightful book and the teachings in it can be applied to almost any life lesson. I would highly recommend it as it is very short and very insightful.

message 10: by Ava (new)

Ava | 1 comments Turtles All the Way Down

What I love most about this book is how it situates the reader so completely into the main character Aza Holmes' perspective and her daily struggles with her anxiety, giving readers who normally don't ever have to think about this stuff insight into how people deal with different levels of anxiety. By the end of the story, Aza has learned lessons about anxiety begun to understand and take into account the experiences of her friends and family dealing with her anxiety. The book teaches you to empathize with others and understand their perspectives and experiences.

message 11: by Ansley (new)

Ansley | 1 comments Before I Fall
I would recommend Before I Fall, I was constantly wondering what would happen next. This story had amazing character development for many of its characters, and by the end I wanted more to read.

message 12: by Lexi (new)

Lexi Ferlisi | 1 comments God Grew Tired of Us
John Bul Dau

I would recommend this book it explains the Sudan Genocide from the perspective of one of the lost boys. It shows the struggles the boys face with the Northern Arab government and their family. It gives information about the genocide. There is also a documentary on the book that I would recommend watching after you read the book.

message 13: by Dominic (new)

Dominic Lanese | 1 comments Phineas Gage: A Gruesome but True Story About Brain Science
I have read very little of this book but am already enjoying it very much. It is a true story about a man named Phineas Cage who was a railroad worker in Vermont. He was working on the railroad when a terrible accident occurred that would change his life forever. It also explains the way the brain thinks and how it changed after accidents as rare as this one.

message 14: by Phineas (new)

Phineas Henry | 1 comments Gym Candy

If you enjoy reading about either football or sports, this would be a very interesting book for you to read. It's about this young football star that wants to play varsity in highschool, he wants to be accepted in highschool in general, but as well as the team, he thinks he's not good enough so he resorted to working out as a stress reliever and to get better for football. Things turned around for him very quickly but there are large consequences that come with what he was trying to do.

message 15: by India (new)

India Cardamone | 1 comments Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption
I would recommend this book if you like books about war and resilience. It is a true story about Louis Zamperini, who was a US prisoner of war survivor. I loved this book and it is my favorite book that I have read. It was full of action and I found it to be very inspiring.

message 16: by Johana (new)

Johana | 1 comments I haven't read that much but I think that it is a funny and relatable book. It's about an actress and her childhood. She talks about her weight and weight loss, family, and friends. There is some comedy in the book too, which makes it fun to read. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

message 17: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 1 comments The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil

This would not recommend this book. It is one of the best books I have ever read, but it is hard to read. Not just long, but very very hard because it shows you the reality of the world. "How well do you really know yourself, your strengths and weaknesses? Does your self-knowledge come from reviewing your behavior in familiar situations or from being exposed to totally new settings where old habits are challenged? In the same vein, how well do you really know the people with whom you interact daily: your family, friends, co-workers and lovers?"

message 18: by Ashlyn (new)

Ashlyn | 1 comments The Cellar
This book was pretty good. It's a little weird at some parts and not for someone who doesn't like murder or kidnappings. It is definitely a quick read and if you enjoy murder mysteries you will probably fly through this book.

message 19: by Lennel (new)

Lennel | 1 comments Winger
I would recommend this book because it's an interesting book, it's lowkey funny, and this is the first book I read that I actually enjoyed.

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma | 1 comments The Ocean at the End of the Lane

This book was not one I ever would have chosen to read myself but with Diana's suggestion I gave it a try and I don't regret it. I had great difficulty putting it down as I was quickly swept up into the childhood of a boy that is no where near normal. I finished this book in only a few days because the fantasy creatures and places are not only very well explained with great amounts of detail but they are also so abstract and new as far as fictitious monsters go. I fully recommend this book to anyone feeling nostalgic for their childhood that they spent playing outside in a fictional world of their own. This was truly a great book that left me wanting more of this meek boy and the magical girl that turned his life upside down.

message 21: by Julia (new)

Julia Burwell | 1 comments The Hike
I remember looking at this book and already feeling the exhilaration from the cover. It seems to just be a regular fiction book for children, but it is most definitely one of the most suspensful and best reads I have ever had. My dad and I predicted that the author of this book was on drugs when he wrote this because it is absolutely insane. I fully recommend this to anyone who is bored with the books they've been reading recently or who needs a book to keep them on the edge of their seat. It may seem confusing, but you have the read till the end because THE ENDING is the best part of the book.

message 22: by James (new)

James Easterling | 1 comments Ready Player One

I would recommend this book for people who really like dystopian future Sci-Fi setting. The reason that i loved this book was because there was a lot of mentions towards 80's pop culture. One of my favorite books I have ever read.

message 23: by Hudson (new)

Hudson Flynn | 1 comments Behind Closed Doors This book is good for someone who enjoys suspense.

message 24: by Jacqui (new)

Jacqui Andrade | 1 comments Between Shades of Gray

This book is simply based on the time period when Stalin had hold of power. It is about a young girl who lives in Lithuania and she is separated from her father. Her mother and younger brother along with her are taken to Syberia in a train to work camps where they do hard labor work. The book comes with many emotions and surprises. It is one of the best books I have ever read, it is not as boring as it sounds, You want to keep reading more and more because you want to know what happens next, it just keeps you at the edge of your seat. I recommend this book to anyone.

message 25: by Kaelin (last edited May 17, 2018 11:42AM) (new)

Kaelin Harris | 1 comments Feed
This book was written is a really different way than anything I've ever read. It was slightly annoying but it added a lot to the book. It takes place in the future and it was so interesting because the situation the world is in is actually very plausible. It was really interesting to think about how close we are to reaching a work like that, making it very eye-opening. The lack of emotion from the main character was my favorite part because of how it enhanced the point the book is trying to portray.

message 26: by Everett (new)

Everett Olson | 1 comments Winger

This book is an interesting story of a high school boy who doesn't feel like he fits in. He is a rugby player at a private school for disobedient kids. He goes through what all us highschoolers go through and it is a fun book to relate your own life to. Overall one of the best books I have ever read.

message 27: by Livi (new)

Livi Carr (yuhgirlliv) | 1 comments The Salt Line
This book was very intriguing and like addictive to read even if your not a big reader. The story is really cool is a unique twist on a distopian novel and it gets wild.

message 28: by Julia (new)

Julia Haugan | 1 comments The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made
This book is one of the most entertaining autobiographies I've ever read. It tells the story of a unique man named Tommy Wiseau who, in 2003, had the crazy idea of making a movie called The Room. The whole book is told through the perspective of Greg Sestero who is Tommy's best friend and was dragged into the whole making of what's known as the greatest bad movie ever made.

message 29: by Wyatt (new)

Wyatt Fransen | 1 comments The Bunker Diary

The Bunker Diary was a suspenseful, first person book that takes place in a bunker that a kidnapped teenager is brought to. He has a diary where he writes down the daily things that happen. The suspense and hope that the protagonist will escape kept me on the edge of my seat and I don't really like reading. I'd definitely recommend this book to someone else who doesn't like to read because the suspense of this book kinda cancels that factor out. I personally have a fear of being trapped in tight spaces so this book kinda fricked with me. This book is worth the checkout at the library to be completely honest from my standpoint on books and reading. One thing that I'm keep real with u though, the ending is a little crazy.

message 30: by Fernando (new)

Fernando Ruiz | 1 comments Ready Player One
I looked at this book and immediately thought that it was going to be boring and that I wouldn't like it, but I still gave it a chance, and I'm so glad I did. This book was great, I tend to not like to read books, but this book made me wanting more and was just overall a great read. I would recommend this book to someone who likes sci-fi, but at the same time likes music and video games from the 80s and later. The songs in the book were a great touch and use of not well known video games kept me wanting to read more. If you like action packed books then I would definitely recommend it. And also I would definitely recommend listening to the songs in the book, especially James Brown Is Dead. *READ BEFORE MOVIE*

message 31: by Job (new)

Job | 1 comments The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
This book is all about not giving a damn. It is about living your life as free as possible with no one to stand in the way, and having the mentality of "Not giving a F**K".

message 32: by Vicente (new)

Vicente Lagarrigue | 1 comments The Stand
This book is a story about the end of the world due to a supervirus and how two large groups of survivors all organize themselves for an all-out war. It follows the stories of many protagonists and antagonists as they gather in Denver and Las Vegas respectively, preparing for the final stand. I've always been a fan of Stephen King, but seeing this huge book was a little offsetting. Clocking in the time and effort to finish this book is a large task, but it's definitely worth it. The stories and being able to see into the minds of each individual character really brings you in to know why they make the decisions they do. This book is a perfect 10/10 in my opinion.

message 34: by Weston (new)

Weston Link | 1 comments The Maze Runner
I have watched the Movie and I am close to finishing this book and I can honestly say that this book is good. It has everything a person could want with a story and is different from the movie in a couple ways that I think make the plotline way more interesting than the movie.

message 35: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Sovich | 1 comments Long Walk to Freedom
Nelson Mandela

I would highly recommend this book because it is really fascinating to read for someone who wants to look at the amazing life of Nelson Mandela. It is also an amazing insight into the life of a black person during the apartheid era.

message 36: by Sam (new)

Sam Blakeslee | 1 comments Desert Solitaire

Over all, I really liked this book. Edward Abbey has a very unique style of writing. In some areas of the book, he will deal with one idea or a piece of nature that for an entire chapter. Personly I liked this because of my background in the outdoors and nature. I found myself really enjoying this book because of the philosophy Abbey had towards the outdoors and the obstruction of it. If your anything like me I think this would be a great book for you.

message 37: by T8 (new)

T8 | 1 comments World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Eh it was pretty good. The movie is pretty lame, but the book is cool. It's a collection of short stories about before, during, and after the zombie apocalypse. It shows a lot of interesting perspectives I wouldn't have considered, or even thought about.

message 38: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Guthrie | 1 comments A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier
I really liked this book because it was extremly intriguing and the thought of this actually happening in real life, which it was, is insane to think about. I also liked it because it was a story and not just telling you information about the event which is sometimes the case in writing this type of book.

message 39: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 1 comments The Scorch Trials
SO, the maze runner is a nice series to read. The book is based off a virus that has an outbreak throughout the world almost killing off the human existence. The book is well known by its movie but i would say the movie isn't as good as the book. FRESHMAN PEOPLE. YOU BETTER HAVE SOME MANNERS FOR D DAME !!! (or you finna get hazed)

message 40: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Oates | 1 comments Between Shades of GrayI would really recommend this book. I would have never thought of reading this book until Diana suggested it. Just looking at the title and cover I got a feeling that I wasn't going to enjoy the book and I was going to have a hard time reading it. But right after the first few pages, I couldn't put the book down. This book was an easy read but really an amazing and compelling story. The characters were so moving and strong. It was crazy to hear these stories of what horrific things these people had to go through for survival. I felt very privileged and lucky after reading listening to how much these people suffered. I don't believe that this book was just for us to feel pity for these people but to put ourselves in the shoes of these people in more depth by hearing every detail that went on during this event. It also had a lot of historical detail about a little-known subject.

message 41: by Trey (new)

Trey Thorpe | 1 comments The Flight of the Phoenix Elleston Trevor .This book was a great survival story, unlike any ive ever read before. Not only were there the usual ideas of death and bravery and camaraderie, but there was also a really incredible method of escape and lots of interesting drama between the characters. The old-fashioned writing style (the book was written in the 1960's) added an interesting perspective. Great book.

message 42: by Reed (new)

Reed Beidleman | 1 comments The Martian
This book is very funny and I would recommend to anyone semi-interested in science. A mission on Mars is stopped short when a deadly storm threatens the entire crew. The crew leaves and thinks one of the Astronauts is dead so they leave him. It turns out he is alive and he has to live alone on Mars with limited supplies. Very good. Much funny. Wow.

message 43: by Jack (new)

Jack Jungquist | 1 comments The Emerald Mile: The Epic Story of the Fastest Ride in History Through the Heart of the Grand Canyon This book is a great story about the record trip down the Grand Canyon. The book is meticulously detailed making for fantastic imagery and realism. If you are into water sports this is the book for you.

message 44: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Zanier | 1 comments I would recommend this book to someone who enjoys reading memoirs about families. It’s about four siblings who have to learn to be able to take care of themselves as their outgoing and free-minded parents both motivate and discourage them at the same time. They bounce from place to place all while hoping to be able to discover who they are and want to be. Their father, when sober, would embrace the children's imagination and teach them school subjects including physics, geology, and the best way/how to embrace life with what you’ve got. While their mother could never get up the courage to go off and leave him because she was frightened to take on the work of raising a family.
The Glass Castle

message 45: by Rhys (new)

Rhys | 1 comments Carrie by Stephen King

I would recommend this book to someone who is tired of the cookie cutter molds and wants something new and unexpected, however people be warned. This book is only for those who do not get offended easily, have a strong stomach, and are okay with being caught off guard. The book holds no punches and is graphic down to the last second. If you are okay with all of that then it is a great book that enthralled me so much I read it in a single four hour sitting. So good luck reading and have a fantastic life.

-Your Lord and Savior, Samuel Rhys Linda-Mood Cox III

message 46: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Hanson | 1 comments Everything, Everything
I knew this book was popular and everyone was reading it and say how great it was. So I tried it normally I don't read books that everyone has read but I tried it. The start of this book was different, I got to see how the character felt in the first few pages. It surely hooked me in to keep reading. I recommend this book to someone who likes cute happy love stories and interesting plots. Its a great and quick read.

message 47: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 1 comments the Little Prince This book is one of the best books I have ever read. The amount of symbolism and meaning that this book encompasses in its pages are words that have meaning for life. Even though this book is largely considered a children's book, by reading it as a young adult, you are able to get more meaning out it and are able to connect on a stronger level with the characters and story. It is about a pilot who crashed in the middle of the desert. He is unexpectedly greeted by a young boy whom he refers to as "the little prince". Over the course of eight days, the little prince recounts the story of his life as he tries to repair his plane. This is a book that is a must-read for everyone.

message 48: by Alex (new)

Alex Buysse | 1 comments Catch-22 is a highly sarcastic novel that pokes fun at the insanity and bureaucracy of war, using WWII as a backdrop. The author drives a dry, cynical sense of humor that ridiculously twists logic to the point of totally making sense. You definitely have to think about it a bit, but if you're into that kind of humor then it can be very rewarding. There's a wide set of degenerate characters that may be difficult to keep track of if you're not paying attention, but you can hone in on a few and still get a lot out of this book, including the insane (or sane?) anti-hero of a protagonist Yossarian, a bomber crew member who tries to weasel his way out of flying more missions, throwing away any sense of patriotism to avoid death. He's the kind of slimy guy that you root for to outsmart the institutions we traditionally root for.

message 49: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1 comments The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls The Glass Castle

This book is a memoir written by Jeanette Walls about her childhood and the difficulties she faced. I loved this book in fact it was one of my favorite books i've ever read. It shared stories of her life growing up with untraditional parents in untraditional settings. She was basically homeless throughout the book but her parents made her think her life was all an adventure. She tells stories of her poverty stricken life, camping in the desert, living in rickety old houses, and getting gifted stars for birthday presents. It was one of those books that I couldn't put down.

message 50: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Vargas (vargaszleslie) | 1 comments Push by Sapphire
I would definitely recommend this book because it has a lot of meaning to it. It is one of the most unique books I have read this year. This book is about a 16 year old girl who lives in Harlem, her parents treat her like a piece of trash, her mom physically abuses her and her dad raped her causing her to get pregnant with her own dads child. This book has had me shocked and speechless for most of it.