Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) Something from the Nightside discussion

Adult Urban Fantasy Book Recs...very little Romance/NO Poly Sex

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited May 16, 2018 08:58AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah Hello all,
I am looking for good adult (not YA or teen) Urban Fantasy books that don't focus on romance or sex with everyone and everything. Violence, horror, mystery, sex with one person,, dark themes...all this is cool.
Tried to read Laurell K. Hamilton and a few YA in this genre and are almost ready to throw in the towel.
Have already read Nightside (loved them) Dresden, Iron Druid.

message 2: by Nico (new) - rated it 1 star

Nico Janow My taste doesn't run to dark stuff, but for less dark: Kate Griffin: Matthew Swift series. Patricia Briggs: Mercedes Thompson series (and others), Anne Bishop: Others (not sure if it's quite UF, but I enjoyed it), Deborah Harkness: All Souls trilogy, Robin McKinley: Sunshine (also questionably UF).

message 3: by Nico (new) - rated it 1 star

Nico Janow I forgot to mention what's probably the closest UF to the Dresden Files: the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka. A bit dark for me, but you say you're cool with that.

message 4: by Frisco (last edited Mar 20, 2019 10:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Frisco Its been awhile since I read them but the kinda fantasy more than urban fantasy but still good: 3 book series I think:

Dark Horse
Dark Deeds
Dark Minds

another couple of good books:
Keri Arthur--- new series
Unlit
and by Faith Hunter:
Curse on the Land
Blood of the Earth
Circle of the Moon
Racking my brain but this is all I could remember off hand.
If I think of some more I will add later.

Mike I've got a list of titles for this sub-genre (Urban Fantasy), as it's not that common, and hard to find.

Al K. LINE - Dark Magic Enforcer series,
Ben AARONOVITCH - PC Peter Grant series
Benedict JACKA - Alex Verus series,
Brad MAGNARELLA - Blue Wolf series,
James A. HUNTER - Yancy Lazarus series,
Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files,
John Conroe - The Demon Accords,
R.L. KING - The Alastair Stone Chronicles,
Rick Gualtieri - Tome of Bill series,
Rob Thurman - Cal & Niko Leandros series,
Shayne SILVERS - Nate Temple Chronicles,
Simon R. GREEN - Ghost Finders series,
Simon R. GREEN - Ishmael Jones series,
Simon R. Green - Secret Histories series,
Simon R. Green - The Nightside series,
Stephen Leather - Jack Nightingale series (has horror elements, subject is supernatural/demonic).