Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Elephants Can Remember (Hercule Poirot, #33)
This topic is about Elephants Can Remember
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Christie, Agatha--Elephants Can Remember informal buddy read starts June 25, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31650 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Elephants Can Remember by Agatha Christie.

Synopsis
Hercule Poirot is determined to solve an old husband and wife double murder that is still an open verdict! Hercule Poirot stood on the cliff-top. Here, many years earlier, there had been a tragic accident. This was followed by the grisly discovery of two more bodies -- a husband and wife -- shot dead. But who had killed whom? Was it a suicide pact? A crime of passion? Or cold-blooded murder? Poirot delves back into the past and discovers that 'old sin can leave long shadows'

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 16, 2018 08:56AM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments ME! Love Agatha Christie. In for Team Draco.

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Me too Michelle! Let's hope a lot of others join this BR.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments I'll join you from team Minerva McGonagall

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Yay! Thank you Mods!

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I love Agatha - so looking forward to this read!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments Love this author, and I think this book will work for one of the classes; however, I have to read for clarity before I decide definitively. Anyway, I'm in for Team Hermione Granger!

message 10: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14785 comments Mod
I can't walk by a Christie read. I'm in!

message 11: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) I'm in! (Team Tonks)

And have just started watching the show Poirot.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Hi Karishma! Poirot is my favorite from the Christie books. I just love him.

message 13: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) Michelle wrote: "Hi Karishma! Poirot is my favorite from the Christie books. I just love him."

Yes he definitely is !

Have you seen this series or And then there were none?

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I haven't watched them yet, but I love the books! I should give them a try.

message 15: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) And then there were none is just 3 episodes and it is beyond brilliant.

message 16: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

David Suchet will always be Poirot to me
And I love that he narrates some of the audiobooks too :)

message 17: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) I'm really liking David Suchet as Poirot.

I'm only on the 9th episode now.

I really didn't like the guy who played Poirot in the new movie.

Sarah | 1712 comments Agatha Christie! I'm in for Team Cedric Diggory.

David Suchet just is Poirot. It was a little weird seeing Kenneth Branagh play the character...

message 19: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I haven’t seen the new movie and that is one of the things that puts me off.
Like I know that Suchet can’t be Poirot forever but he really has epitomised him for so long now that change is hard to take 😉

message 20: by Mary C (last edited May 22, 2018 07:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments The David Suchet version of Murder on the Orient Express is wonderful. I loved the latest movie too but Suchet is Poirot. I think it was also more accurate to the book.

Cheryl | 905 comments I am excited to read another Agatha Christie mystery!

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Me too. Somehow I've never read this one.

Cheryl | 905 comments It is always so enjoyable to read Agatha Christie! I enjoyed this one less than most of her books that I have read. Too much was too predictable. One of the great treats of reading Christie is her sleight of hand writing...she gets you looking one way and tricks you as she distracts you. This was not so much the case this time. I had most of it pretty much figured out fairly early on. I don't think it is because I am "on to" her tricks. She was just not as subtle on this one. I did enjoy Ariadne Oliver.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments Has anyone started yet?

message 25: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) I will start today evening.

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Starting tomorrow. Finishing up a different BR tonight.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I still have a few buddy reads to get through so hopefully I can start on Sunday! We shall see

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments I have 90 minutes left of an audio book for another buddy read and then I will start this one. Probably tonight or tomorrow morning.

message 29: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jun 28, 2018 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've just started. So glad Ariadne Oliver is in this story. She is just fab

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I love her brand of craziness!

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments I started this morning. I recently watched the BBC version with David Suchet as Poirot. I had it in my head that this was set much earlier because I think that's what they did with the show. But then she said 1971 in the book.

Seems like the British upper crust like to make god-parents for their children out of people they don't know very well.

message 32: by Sarah (last edited Jun 27, 2018 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 1712 comments I've started, read chapter 1 so far. This is a reread for me, but I remember nothing about it except that it was the first time I guessed an AC plot correctly (after reading nearly all of her books, so it wasn't really an achievement).

I couldn't help but smile to myself at the opinions expressed by Ariadne Oliver so far - as she is a little bit autobiographical for Agatha Christie.

Wikipedia says this (beware possible spoilers for other AC books if you click the link):

"Further functions of Mrs Oliver are to enable Christie to discuss overtly the techniques of detective fiction, to contrast the more fanciful apparatus employed by mystery authors with the apparent realism of her own plots, and to satirize Christie's own experiences and instincts as a writer. Mrs Oliver therefore serves a range of literary purposes for Christie."

Sarah | 1712 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "I started this morning. I recently watched the BBC version with David Suchet as Poirot. I had it in my head that this was set much earlier because I think that's what they did with the show. But then she said 1971 in the book. "

I think with the TV show they deliberately set them all in the 20s/30s, regardless of when the books were actually set. Usually the books are set in the time period that they were written, so the later ones are set in the 60s or 70s.

message 34: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah wrote: "she is a little bit autobiographical for Agatha Christie...."

I think that is quite cool. Maybe it is why I like her character so much!

message 35: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jun 28, 2018 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 14

So I just finished this chapter and there is so much going on. I keep wondering if (view spoiler)

Just loving Ariadne and I find it interesting that in such a short time period (not even 50 years) society has changed. Even the fact that Mrs Burton-Cox wants Celia's parentage determined before Desmond marries her. I guess it is one of the reasons why I enjoy these books - they are like small time capsules

Cheryl | 905 comments Sarah wrote: "I've started, read chapter 1 so far. This is a reread for me, but I remember nothing about it except that it was the first time I guessed an AC plot correctly (after reading nearly all of her books..."

Thanks for sharing that! It is a very interesting insight into Agatha Christie's writing. What a brilliant woman!

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments Karen, I was wondering the same thing.

I watched the TV version of this recently and the whole wig and twins thing makes me think I know what happened. But I'm trying to remember the episode. Plus I don't know what they changed from the book. The show seemed pretty faithful to them for the most part or so it seemed to me.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments I will probably finish today. One thing I always loved about Christie is that she didn't need a lot of words to tell a great story.

message 39: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Karen, I was wondering the same thing.

I watched the TV version of this recently and the whole wig and twins thing makes me think I know what happened. But I'm trying to remember the episode. Plu..."

Yes, I was wondering about the wigs too. I probably have seen the TV show at some point, but I don't remember it

message 40: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

The End

This was a nice quick one. As usual, there are loads of clues and potential plot lines, and although I mostly got there, I still didn't quite solve everything

(view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments Karen, I was in the same position about Mrs Burton-Cox's motive. Part of me wondered: (view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments I finished last night. Another satisfying Agatha Christie.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments Chapters 1-5

Ariadne Oliver: I guess I haven’t read enough of Agatha Christie’s books to know this character. But so far I really like her.

The mystery she is investigating is (view spoiler)

Mrs. Burton-Cox (view spoiler)

Celia (view spoiler)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Finally got my book from the library so I'll start reading this soon. I love Dame Agatha!

message 45: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vicki wrote: "Chapters 1-5

Ariadne Oliver: I guess I haven’t read enough of Agatha Christie’s books to know this character. But so far I really like her.

The mystery she is investigating is [spoilers removed]..."

Ariadne is quite fun :)
And yes, the mystery is a bit odd. But I guess it also shows societal change over the period since this was written (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments Karen, we’re on a road trip so I’m on my phone & can’t see your spoilers until later tonight.

Desmond (view spoiler)

Zélie & Maddy (view spoiler)

Celia (view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments I love Ariadne and wonder why she didn't get her own series.

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments I finally started this one tonight. I've had many buddy reads to get through. I'm up to chapter three and I like it so far. The plot has gotton underway quickly and I'm intrigued. I also admire Agatha Christie's ability to write so many books and keep them interesting and well written.

I read Sad Cyprus when I was in year 10 - 8 years ago and really enjoyed it! I loved Poirot.

Mrs. Oliver - I think she's great. I like seeing how her mind works when she was talking to Poirot

I think this will be a quick read for me

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments Finished

Molly & Dolly (view spoiler)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Team Gilderoy Lockhart

This was too quick and intriguing to stop in between and write posts here. Well, that's honestly Dame Christie, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Having said that, and having read a bunch of her books, I have to painfully admit that this was certainly not her best work, but it wasn't even closer to her better works. The plot was too thin and unfolded exactly as predicted. Especially in her Hercule Poirot mysteries, there seems to be a lot more active voice, as opposed to this book. (I sort of associate passive crime more with Miss Marple than Hercule Poirot.) Ms. Christie is the smartest mystery author I know off, and when I managed to understand her line of thought and solve the crime before she/her characters did, I actually felt bad.

To that point though, I constantly felt that I've read so many books (or watched a bunch of movies) with plot lines similar to this revolving around twins, only to realize that this must have been the beginning of it all. Published in 1972, I'm pretty sure this was the benchmark for a lot of those stories. Don't you think so?

Anyway, I did like the fact that throughout the entire novel, Ariadne could have very easily come off as nosy, prying, and possibly irritating as a character; but Ms. Christie deftly manages to keep her antics engaging without making them overtly curious. This was not my favourite Poirot performance though. This was literally the last case her ever handled (though not the last released Poirot book), so maybe I was expecting more of him and more of his cleverness. It just seems like he got the simple end of the deal here.

All in all, I was slightly disappointed, but Dame Christie bad is so much better than many people's good, so I'm still glad that I read it.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Elephants Can Remember (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Agatha Christie (other topics)