Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

IX. Currently Reading? > Book titles

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie Round | 41 comments I have just picked up a book with the title 'Red Dirt.' There are about thirteen other books with similar titles and at least one with the same title by a different author. Why is it that publishers do this? Does it help or hinder readers? It is a constant puzzle.

message 2: by Hazel Hart (new)

Hazel Hart | 5 comments This is an interesting question, and I just spoke with an author who has the same name as another writer. She wondered if she should change her pen name. I don't know if it hinders readers, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what others think.

message 3: by Petra (new)

Petra Jacob | 29 comments Red Dirt seems like quite an unusual name though, a weird one to be so common.

I was really careful to check that both my book name and pen name were original, but at any time someone else can come up with either. I'd be annoyed if they then became more successful than me!

I think it's useful in these Internet days for people to be able to search your title/author name and find you easily. It probably isn't huge deal if people know something about you or the book, they'll still find you, but it's a possible barrier.

message 4: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 2892 comments While trying to have a unique title is a good plan - and something I always try to do, as I'm sure most other authors do - I think it would be impossible to guarantee the title of every book isn't even similar to that by another author. Despite the large number of words in the English language, there are still limits to the possibilities for how words can be strung together. Additionally, if a title is chosen for something, it's potentially possible that another author is in the process of getting something published that has an identical or similar title at the same time, in which case you might think yours is completely unique, and learn when it's too late that it actually isn't.

If you're an author, I think it's worth doing a search for the title you're thinking of using for your book though, and at least attempting to make it one that hasn't been used a dozen or more times before. Not to mention, if you're going to use a title similar to that by another author, try and determine if you're writing in a similar genre, since that in itself can potentially cause confusion for readers.

If you're a reader, it's worth double checking that both title and author name match, and maybe also checking out the book blurb before you commit to buying or reading the book.

message 5: by Julie (last edited May 26, 2018 04:06AM) (new)

Julie Round | 41 comments It has happened again - four books entitled 'Blackthorn Winter.'
Maybe I'm being super critical.
As for using a different name as a writer I added my middle initial as there were over 40 Julie Round's on Google.
Julie C Round.

message 6: by J. (new)

J. Rubino (jrubino) | 113 comments My first book title was chosen by the publisher. I chose all of the other titles in my series. When we (DD and I) wrote "Lady Vernon and Her Daughter" - we had originally called it "Lady Susan and Her Daughter" (it's adapted from Jane Austen's early work, that was provisionally titled Lady Susan) - realized in the revision process that since we altered the woman's rank, she would not be a Lady "First Name", but a Lady "Surname."
Since titles can't, with very rare exception, be copyrighted, it's possible to have several books with the same title. There is an author named Borton who published a female PI novel called "One For The Money" a few years before Janet Evanovich's first in her "number" series came out.