What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Late 70s early 80s YA about a boy that hung out in a cemetery. Possibly talked to the statues who lived there. NOT The Graveyard book.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara | 2 comments Hi,
I read a book as a preteen in the late 70s possibly early 80s about a boy who either lived or hung out in a graveyard and the statues protected him. I think his name was Ben. Something happened and the statues were hiding him I think. They interacted with him. I got it from scholastic. It had a melancholy feel to it. Been looking for this book for years! TIA

message 2: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments This is not an exact match, but it made me think about this book about a girl who had to hide out in a cemetery and a particular statue interacts with her and helps her. The time period is right: Beloved Benjamin Is Waiting

message 3: by Kris (last edited May 16, 2018 04:27PM) (new)

Kris | 36583 comments Mod
Tara, what's the time period and location of the story (e.g., country, region, big city/small town)?

Can you tell us more about the boy - his age, family/siblings/friends/pets, skills/interests/hobbies, loner/bullied/popular, etc.?

Do ghosts appear?

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara | 2 comments Hi Kris,
I really can't remember much as I read it about 38 years ago. Pretty sure he's young, maybe about 11 or 12, a loner, modern time period. I just remember him talking to the statues and I think he was able to go under into the crypts. It had a sad feel to it and I seem to remember he would go at night. I have read so many books in my life that I honestly could be mixing stuff up about it. I'm going to check out the book Adele mentioned above. Who knows, it might possibly be it!

message 5: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Johnny and the Dead was funny, not melancholy.

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Still looking, Tara?