Play Book Tag discussion

Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks
This topic is about Dear Fahrenheit 451
Archive: Other Books > Dear Fahrenheit 451 by Annie Spence - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte | 1663 comments Dear Fahrenheit 451: Love and Heartbreak in the Stacks: A Librarian's Love Letters and Breakup Notes to the Books in Her Life by Annie Spence
3.5 stars

Annie Spence is a librarian in Detroit and this is a compilation of letters to various books that have crossed her path during her life. Books that she's had to weed out of the stacks for various reasons. She also provides a few lists of books that for different moods, short books, chunky books, etc.

I think the book was a tad long and I struggled through the last bit. And it may not have been the book, but the long book blurbs when she got into the lists of things and away from the letters. The letters were my favorite part of the book.

I did add to my TBR based on this book but I'm a little nervous about some of her suggestions because she loved Love in the Time of Cholera and well.. no. Her favorite book of all time is The Virgin Suicides and I've never read it so not sure how I compare on that.

I suggest this book if you are in a book slump and are looking for some new suggestions.

Karin | 7460 comments I liked this at 3 stars, and it wasn't just the long stuff at the end. Some of the letters were better than others, and I was also affected by choices of books I really don't like or would never read, so very subjective for me.

Charlotte | 1663 comments Karin wrote: "I liked this at 3 stars, and it wasn't just the long stuff at the end. Some of the letters were better than others, and I was also affected by choices of books I really don't like or would never re..."

I agree... I'm nervous to try some of her suggestions because I got the impression that she likes realism and I'm not the biggest fan. I thought about reading Virgin Suicides and using that as my control for the rest of the books. I did add a handful to my TBR.

message 4: by Karin (last edited May 16, 2018 08:40AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karin | 7460 comments Charlotte wrote: "Karin wrote: "I liked this at 3 stars, and it wasn't just the long stuff at the end. Some of the letters were better than others, and I was also affected by choices of books I really don't like or ..."

I hate books like Fifty Shades of Gray and various and sundry other types that many find they like. The only version of that I read was Dave Barry's hilarious review/summary in his book You Can Date Boys When You're Forty: Dave Barry on Parenting and Other Topics He Knows Very Little About (my review of that was written a la Barry because I was in the mood and had an idea--) https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 5: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I added The Virgin Suicides to my TBR after reading this. I thought this book was super fun, but very take it or leave it with certain opinions, lol.

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6382 comments Karin wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "Karin wrote: "I liked this at 3 stars, and it wasn't just the long stuff at the end. Some of the letters were better than others, and I was also affected by choices of books I rea..."

Love your review of Dave Barry's book! I had already liked it previously and almost mindlessly clicked the "unlike" button .. but I woke up just long enough to notice and saved myself (and your review).