Play Book Tag discussion

Bossypants
This topic is about Bossypants
Archive: Other Books > Bossypants by Tina Fey 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte | 1663 comments Bossypants by Tina Fey
5 stars

I LOVED this book... well... the audio version of this book. I've found that when it comes to some of the autobiographies/memoirs, especially of those in the entertainment industry, nothing beats the audiobook.

I have a gorgeous but long commute via backroads through the area of WA I live in. It takes over an hour (sometimes up to 2 hours... one way.. on winding backroads) on the days I actually have to go into the office. For the first time ever, I've started listening to audio books. I'm very picky about the ones I choose and Bossypants did not disappoint.

After I reviewed it, I checked out other's reviews and I can see how some things might get lost in the print version. Perceptions and feelings that other people got from it, I did not and vice versa. There were many points in the book that I literally laughed out loud. My absolutely favorite part was when she described the events that led to her being Sarah Palin on SNL and the trepidation that she felt about it. On the audio version she even replayed the audio of the very first skit she did as Palin. It was interesting to hear her describe what led up to that and then to hear it and remember it.

message 2: by Nicole R (last edited May 16, 2018 06:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Charlotte wrote: "I LOVED this book... well... the audio version of this book. I've found that when it comes to some of the autobiographies/memoirs, especially of those in the entertainment industry, nothing beats the audiobook."

I completely agree that, in general, books written by people in the entertainment industry and then narrated by them personally are awesome! I have listened to some great ones.

Did you watch Parks and Rec? Nick Offerman from that show not only narrates his own books (which are hilarious), but also has started narrating other books as well. He is phenomenal! Audible is rerecording some of the older classics and Offerman narrated Tom Sawyer and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. I listened to Tom Sawyer and the other is in my wishlist!

Charlotte | 1663 comments Nicole R wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "I LOVED this book... well... the audio version of this book. I've found that when it comes to some of the autobiographies/memoirs, especially of those in the entertainment industr..."

I love Nick Offerman and his wife... I wish they would adopt me ;) I was going to add Nick and several others based on Tina Fey's recommendation at the end of her book. I was going to go through and add a bunch to my TBR today. I think I may do Anna Kendrick next. I'll be on the look out for Nick's version of some of the classics... I struggle through Mark Twain so that'll help!

If you have listened to it, I highly recommend Cary Elwes' audio of As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride. Most of the actors from the movie and Rob Reiner all add to the narration. The stories of Andre the Giant are so touching.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Anna Kendrick's book was pretty good! Do you like Tiffany Haddish? Admittedly, she is pretty crude and graphic and not for everyone but I laughed my a$$ off over her memoir!

Thanks for the As You Wish memoir! I will for sure add that to my TBR. I bet my library has it on audio as well.

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments I had no desire to read this book (never been a huge Tina Fey fan and haven't seen much of her work) but after seeing her on Comedians in Cars getting Coffee and she is this months guest on My Next Guest (both on Netflix) my respect and appreciation for her has went up. Adding to the TBR.

message 6: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I read this before I became an "audiobook person", and am kind of sad about that.

I second Nicole's recommendation- the audio of The Last Black Unicorn was hilarious- 5 star for me. Scrappy Little Nobody was a fun one too. I just finished Anna Farris' Unqualified, and it wasn't the best. Oh god, I've read a lot of these.... celebrity memoirs must be my weakness.

Charlotte | 1663 comments I've always thought Tina Fey was a wicked smart lady.

The Last Black Unicorn is now on my TBR :) I've been considering it and y'all have pushed me over the edge. I've heard not so great things about Anna Farris' which makes me sad because I love her. I've also been looking into Mindy Kaling, Tracy Morgan, Ellen Degeneres, Nick Offerman, and Carol Burnett.

message 8: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Both of Mindy Kaling's I thought were excellent- but I love her so I'm a little biased lol. Also Neil Patrick Harris' is AWESOME because it's a choose your own adventure book also,

The only one I'd avidly say to avoid is Lena Dunham's.

Charlotte | 1663 comments Forgot about NPH... LOVE him! Good call :) Started Anna Kendrick today and The Last Black Unicorn is next.

Josephine Mallory | 14 comments I thought this book was amazing. I, too, have a long commute to and from work and have become addicted to audiobooks as a result. I really enjoyed this one and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me, my Mindy Kaling. I will have to see if my library has some of the others that you guys are recommending.