The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)
This topic is about Wrath of Empire
Powder Mage > WoE: Second Half Discussion (Full Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
Discuss the events second half of the book (or the book as a whole if you're so inclined but we made 2 threads for a reason. Don't be a slacker!!)

No spoiler tags required. Though it would be highly appreciated if you Uncheck Add to my Update Feed to avoid accidentally spoiling things for your good read friends.

Please do not discuss events from later sections/books. Referring back to events from a previous section/book is fine.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

So I finished last night and I loved it. I'm not sure if I liked it more than the first book because my memory is a bit fuzzy. Both were easy 5 stars for me though. The final book has a lot to live up too.

Spoilers below for the whole book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite subplot, but by the end I was getting annoyed at the jumping around. It was obvious they wouldn't converge and I wanted to see how each story was going to play out and got annoyed every time it switched only to get sucked up in the new subplot all over again. That made it an easy 5 for me.

So I saw that the privileged Mikael was interested in was totally going to be the informant coming. I did not however see that she was going to be Ka-Poel's sister. I'm also confused if her Grandfather is a biological relative or just and adopted thing. Mikael became part of the Dianize family so I'm a little fuzzy on it. I guess it doesn't matter too much because he's a shitty Grandfather, blood relation or not.

It appears Ka-Poel was communicating with her via magic, which was how she became their informant. I'm not clear if Ka-Poel actually knew she was talking to her sister or what. It seemed like Ka-Poel only learned some of her family history in this book when she took over that Danize camp.

I guess we have to wait until the next book for their big escape from the city.

Ben/Ka-Poel's search for one of the god stones lead them to an ocean. Turns out it's in Dianize. Oops.

Meanwhile Ben should have maybe killed one of his betrayers. The guy whose leading the 3rd was taking over by Ka-Cedial and betrayed Lynette.

By the end of the book Styke storms the keep despite overwhelming odds and pretty much kills everyone with the help Ka-Poel's magic. That was pretty epic. The secret of his relation to Lynette is revealed however.

His sister tells him where the Mad Lancer's armor is being kept (which is conveniently near-by). So they plan to go get that and invade Dianize next. Man that's going to be cool. I can't wait to see if the armor lives up to the hype.

Vlora's subplot was maybe the slowest (though still great), but holy shit that ending. Her and (mostly?) Taniel lay waste to a huge number of people. And just when it looks like she's done for, Bo and (I forget the glove-less Privileged name from the original series) shows up!

Man I want book 3 right now!

Suzanne | 1582 comments Nice that you finished! I am not there yet, but I've made a bit more progress. I THOUGHT I was going to finish tomorrow on a long drive to my parents, but now I have people coming and they probably don't want to listen to the last 5 hours of my book. I'll bring headphones, but there is that whole talking thing people sometimes expect.....

Ever since I've said I didn't like Taniel this book, I've liked him a lot more. I think you pointing out he's not the focus just helped me a bit.

I loved the mental picture of the lancer with her sword riding down Styke on the ground and him punching the horse. Just well described, lots of attention to detail (like how he ends up patting and killing the injured horse), and I guess just one example of many of how good the book is.

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzanne wrote: "but now I have people coming and they probably don't want to listen to the last 5 hours of my book. I'll bring headphones, but there is that whole talking thing people sometimes expect....."

How inconsiderate of them! I'm not sure I could drive and use headphones. At least not on a 5 hour drive. I'd be worried about not being able to hear traffic noise, etc.

I hope you get to finish soon. The ending was really good.

Suzanne wrote: "Ever since I've said I didn't like Taniel this book, I've liked him a lot more. I think you pointing out he's not the focus just helped me a bit.."

Cool. I will say he's got some really good stuff coming up later in the book as well.

Suzanne wrote: "I loved the mental picture of the lancer with her sword riding down Styke on the ground and him punching the horse.."

Yeah. That was great.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I finished yesterday (but was at my parents' house and couldn't post).

I also loved it - and I really need book 3. It will be so hard to wait - although the cliffhangers weren't horrible, the events we can anticipate sound amazing!

I think the mean guy is Ka-Poel's actual grandfather. I know they said something about blood talking to blood. It also sounds like she is WAY more powerful than he is. And since her sister is a privileged, it makes me wonder how the two magics are related.

Vlora's storyline was the least interesting of the three to me also, but it was still good, and that ending was indeed epic. Wow powder mages are a lot more powerful than I thought, especially against an army that seems unprepared for them.

Stykes was my favorite story - so many epic scenes. One non-epic scene I liked was how the lancers were still going to go after the godstone - even without Styke. And I felt like it was good to have Ka-Poel with him - it enabled the author to reveal a lot more about her, than if she had stuck with Taniel.

I really liked the narrator too. Just great book all around.

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) Finished this a couple of days ago, and i agree with a lot of what people have already stated here. I really enjoyed the interaction between Styke and Celine. You could see him slowly mellowing, and this is played out a little with his 'revenge'. Loved it.

I have a feeling that Vlora will now be powder blind. This was a possibility when she overdosed on the powder at the end, that she had flirted with the edge of her limits, and she had leapt over the edge of that limit. An interesting story to sell for sure.

Looks like the old gang will be back for the next book as well, with Bo turning back up.

I am off to see Brian McClellan today at the London Comic Con, so i am going to thank him personally for a great series so far.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Have a great time at the Con.

Interesting thought about powder blind - that could be!

message 8: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzanne wrote: "One non-epic scene I liked was how the lancers were still going to go after the godstone - even without Styke. "

Actually it was Vlora's contingent of the cavalry that said they were going after the godstone even without Styke. Of course by the end even the Mad Lancers are going too. And all of them will have this armor we've been hearing about for the last 2 books.

message 9: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Richard wrote: "I have a feeling that Vlora will now be powder blind. This was a possibility when she overdosed on the powder at the end, that she had flirted with the edge of her limits, and she had leapt over the edge of that limit. An interesting story to sell for sure.."

I hadn't really thought of that, even though she brings it up as she's pushing herself beyond her limits.

I kind of hope not, if only because I think it would slow the pace of the final book. He's already set up enough conflict without having to add that on top in my opinion.

message 10: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Fantastic book - I agree with everyone, McClellen just keeps getting better. I also love the narrator.

It was weird to think of Ka-Poel as the older sister of Mara. I always imagined Ka-Poel as younger. But yeah they do blood magic and they are blood relations, not a family/household members like Michel.

You are right Rob, the gloveless privileged is the maid from the original trilogy.

I though Bo showing up when Vlora was about to die was a little too convenient (that kind of thing bothers me) but it was still an epic battle. Two great epic battles to finish the book.

Did Taniel and Vlora know that the other godstone was in Dyanize? I am confused how they were supposed to be a distraction. But Ka-Poel seemed genuinely shocked that the godstone wasnt there.

For the one the Dyanize already have, what did Ka-Poel do to it to make it so hard to decipher and is leading to all the sacrifices? I can't remember how she screwed it up, and if she didn't, would they immediately be able to use it (assuming they had all 3) or does it still require blood sacrifice?