This topic is about Jigsaw
Booker Prize for Fiction > 1989 Shortlist: Jigsaw

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ang (new) - added it

Ang | 1685 comments Jigsaw by Sybille Bedford

message 2: by Ang (new) - added it

Ang | 1685 comments Sybille Bedford on Desert Island Disks Archive:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009...

I'm listening now and she's talking about Aldous Huxley who I believe features in Jigsaw.

message 3: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (mookse) | 1859 comments Mod
NYRB Classics has a new edition of this coming out soon. I have a copy, so it must be within the month.

message 4: by Ang (new) - added it

Ang | 1685 comments Oh, fantastic. I'll wait for that one. I love NYRB Classics!

message 5: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam | 1713 comments Available as a kindle edition as well.

message 6: by WndyJW (new) - added it

WndyJW | 6610 comments I wish I knew nyrb was going to be publishing Jigsaw: An Unsentimental Education before I ordered it. I guess I can still order an nyrb edition. I only spent about $3 on abes.

Hugh (bodachliath) | 3601 comments Mod
I started reading this last night. Only a few pages in so far, but it definitely reads more like memoir than novel. It is quite densely written, so it may take a while to finish.

message 8: by WndyJW (new) - added it

WndyJW | 6610 comments My copy arrived today and the jacket said is Bedford described it as autobiographical.

I am over halfway through, and yes, it is autobiographical, but it is also a novel in that certain elements have been fictionalised, mostly to protect the reputations of friends and acquaintances, and she also admits that it is a version of events according to her own memory that may not be factually accurate. So she was a precursor of the likes of Knausgaard.

message 10: by Hugh (last edited May 28, 2018 08:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished this yesterday. She had an unusually interesting childhood which makes for a fascinating and compelling read but I am not sure how to judge it as a novel. My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show....

message 11: by Val (new) - rated it 3 stars

Val | 1016 comments I agree with Hugh about this one too. It is fascinating and compelling and it is also well written. As a memoir, I would give it five stars, but I'm not sure it quite works as a novel.

message 12: by WndyJW (new) - added it

WndyJW | 6610 comments I'm having a strange relationship with Jigsaw, I don't feel particularly eager to pick it up, but once I start reading I don't want to put it down. I love her voice and ordered Legacy.

message 13: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam | 1713 comments I have a mixed opinion of Jigsaw as well. I liked the book for the setting in the South of France and various obstacles the characters met throughout, but was not fond of the voice the author used to tell the story. I thought the voice a bit too mannered, too self-conscious, which IMO lessened the drama and hence the believability. I felt the author's mature voice was editing for wppearance's sake many of the scenes.