Cat's Eye
This topic is about Cat's Eye
Booker Prize for Fiction > 1989 Shortlist: Cat's Eye

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ang (new) - added it

Ang | 1685 comments Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood

message 2: by Val (last edited May 16, 2018 09:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val | 1016 comments I read this many years ago. I think I thought it was good at the time, but I can't really see any of the shortlist challenging Ishiguro.

Robert | 2262 comments Not my fave Margaret Atwood but still a good read.

Hugh (bodachliath) | 3600 comments Mod
Started this yesterday and enjoying it so far.

WndyJW | 6608 comments I loved this when I read it a few years ago and remembered thinking it was nearly perfect. I don’t think any of the book will top Remains of the Day (whose story was ruined by the movie.)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 3600 comments Mod
Finished this yesterday - I really enjoyed it, particularly the early part of the story - her account of the psychology of childhood bullying is chillingly accurate and brought back some uncomfortable memories. I can't see myself placing it any higher than second on my list, and I don't think it quite matches The Blind Assassin and Alias Grace. My review

message 7: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam | 1713 comments Somewhat discouraged by the 2018 Booker longlist, I started catching up on other reading and rereading. This was one I thought I had read but had not finished when it was released. This book has aged very well. I have to reread The Remains of the Day, but right now I have them in a dead heat. I liked how Atwood correlated her prose style to the age of the narrator and how her skill at that stands out when we have the more complex prose of the mature narrator in the last sections. I liked how Atwood was able to present an independent woman's point of view without the book becoming typical feminist fiction. I loved the little gothic approach to the bullying sections. I loved how Atwood portrayed the significance an event or person might have in one's memory, while not having any significance at all for the other persons present. Finally, I absolutely loved how Atwood could paint in words for us a complete art retrospective that gave us sense of having actually seen the art. This was almost five stars for me and after time has passed if I keep as good a memory of the book, I may give it the extra star.