The Remains of the Day
This topic is about The Remains of the Day
Booker Prize for Fiction > 1989 Winner: The Remains of the Day

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ang (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ang | 1685 comments The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

Hugh (bodachliath) | 3601 comments Mod
This is one of my favourite Booker winners. It took me a very long time to get round to reading it, perhaps because I felt my perceptions might be coloured too much by the film, but what surprised me most was the amount of humour in this one - more than in any of the other Ishiguros I have read. I look forward to reading the discussions on this - I probably won't re-read but will chip in where I can.

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10584 comments Yes had exactly the same feeling when I re-read it, I had forgotten how funny it was. Up there with Midnight's Children as the best Booker winner ever (although I think The Unconsoled is his best book) and he is, deservedly, the only author to do the Booker-Nobel double.

Hugh (bodachliath) | 3601 comments Mod
I should read The Unconsoled again. I read it when the paperback came out and found it infuriating, but I suspect that I would enjoy it more now.

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10584 comments It is infuriatingly brilliant.

Robert | 2262 comments Remains of the Day is a big fave of mine.

I found The Unconsoled irritating but I was a different person ten years ago.

WndyJW | 6609 comments I am so glad I read the book first because the movie got the relationship between Stevens and Miss Kenton so very wrong. I heard or read an interview with Ishiguro about the movie and he said that the film completely missed the nature of their relationship.
This is one of my favorite books and I will get it back from my daughter and reread it.