Struggling Writers discussion

Discussions > My Book Cover

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I think it's a little hard on the eyes, maybe something with less fragmented artwork? The banner at the top also interrupts the title of the book and distracts rather than adding to the elements of the cover.

message 2: by Renee E (last edited Jul 29, 2014 11:48AM) (new)

Renee E | 49 comments For me, I love the artwork. It strikes me as modern, but with a nod to Carroll's era.

The banner, though, is off-putting. Let your work stand on its own on the cover. Let that information go to the back cover.

message 3: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) I agree with Renee.
Although I might not be a good judge since I'm not into fairy tale retelling. (I'm not into Fairy Tale period.)
The hat design is original, but the top banner looks more like something you'd see on the back cover. Yet without the banner, maybe the whole cover would look rather bare. :/
Sorry for not being of much help.

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica Lindquist (elindquist) | 4 comments I have to call "nay" on these. I know purple and yellow are -technically- complimentary colors, but they're a hard pair to work with and I'm not sure it's working here.

There's also the fonts. Most designers I've worked with (my books have 3 different cover artists, so that's not a wide sampling, so salt my opinion!) suggest never using more than one "specialty font." Use one for the centerpiece and fill in around it with Arial, Garamond or whatever. Usually a san-serif font. It's like filling in a floral arrangement with baby's breath. It's simple and attractive, but doesn't pull attention from the roses – your cover art and title and/or author name.

You've got a fairly bold piece of art with the hat. I'd really try to build on that. Right now (as you already know), the big purple banner is really stealing the show and not in an entirely flattering way.

Maybe cut out the hat and place it in a central vertical rectangle on a black background, then put your typography on the black. I'm drawing inspiration from the Otherland books: http://www.amazon.com/City-Golden-Sha...

I also suggest taking a look at The Book Designer's monthly ebook cover awards. There's always a ton of inspiration there, as well as the designer pointing out things -not- to do. (http://www.thebookdesigner.com/2011/0...)

message 5: by Joseph (last edited Aug 07, 2014 07:26PM) (new)

Joseph Ballenger | 3 comments Not bad, here's my take on it:
1) Eliminate the name banner. Placing the name at the bottom is how many authors do it. That way, your eyes can gravitate more towards the title first and naturally find the name at the bottom.

2) Have the title placed between duplicate/mirrored branch graphics (specifically, the one you've already placed by the name) by having the leaves aimed the title on both ends. And push the title up towards the center.

Wishing you the best with your book!

message 6: by Ingrid, Just another writer. (new)

Ingrid | 932 comments Mod
In unanimity with the others, the banner seems like a glossy ad for Caroll's original work. Frame it on the back of the book.
The cover has me split on two sides. On one, I think that this cover is very classic because it's black and white, and the font for the title reminds me of Stephen King, and Poe, other legends. On the other hand, it could be a little more authentic, but I don't know how to put it into words. (Also, the way the series title and the title sequence number are placed look disorganized)

Update 1: Okay, excuse my last judgement. I didn't know you had resubmitted a revised one. It's definitely more eye-catching and colorful, but in my original eyes, I feel you don't need the color. If that exact cover (the second one) was in black and white, it'd be excellent.

Hope this helped:)