Historical Romance Book Club discussion

An Invitation to Scandal (Sins & Scandals, #1)
This topic is about An Invitation to Scandal
Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR - An Invitation to Scandal - Kelly Boyce

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Loriidae | 1120 comments Buddy Read - May 26

An Invitation to Scandal (Sins & Scandals, #1) by Kelly Boyce An Invitation to Scandal Kelly Boyce

Nicholas Sheridan, Viscount Roxton, is as wicked as they come, but when his sinful actions result in the death of one of his peers, guilt forces him to change his scandalous ways and seek redemption through marriage to a proper lady.

Miss Abigail Laytham is a lady on a mission, determined to see the man responsible for her beloved uncle’s death pay. But revenge has its price, and with scandal courting her every step, can the headstrong beauty find the satisfaction she craves, or will she find something else entirely at the hands of her former beau, Viscount Roxton.

The Sins & Scandals Series

While there are those who spend their time in modest pursuits, upholding propriety befitting the lords and ladies of the ton, it would seem that for others scandal is just a sin away…

Loriidae | 1120 comments Buddy Read - beginning May 26 everyone welcome

message 3: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4107 comments Mod
Alright! Looking forward to it.

Mariana | 2311 comments Me too!

To dangle a carrot for everyone else, this one is free on Kindle.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Mariana wrote: "Me too!

To dangle a carrot for everyone else, this one is free on Kindle."

Thanks Mariana I will add that to the main thread

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments I just realised that I have this book in my kindle app! I am in:)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments This is free in the kindle store.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Yesterday, I noticed that this is self-published aside from being free.

Free was not enough to inspire me to read this BUT if self-pub AND free!! I’m up for it!

I have been having luck lately with titles from lesser-known HR authors.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Made an early start:
Chapter One - This is why I could never be a writer I couldn't put my heroine in embarrassing / humiliating situations.

message 10: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yes, I would have difficulty with that also. I liked the first chapter, it seemed to have a bit of info dumping, but also an interesting dynamic between the two leads.

Mariana | 2311 comments Just downloaded. Starting today.

Loriidae | 1120 comments I am not a fan of being dumped into the middle of the story and then as you say the info dump to catch up.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Hey there!

I’m wrapped up with catching up on some challenge stuff today and tomorrow

I’m shooting to begin on Monday at the latest, possibly get started Sunday afternoon.

Loriidae | 1120 comments All good Andrea we tend to take our time.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Chapter Two Lots of questions, drawing me in... (view spoiler)

Chapter Three (view spoiler)

Chapter Four (view spoiler)

Easy reading looking forward to the masquerade.

message 17: by Mariana (last edited May 28, 2018 08:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariana | 2311 comments I read the first five chapters:

Chapter 1
(view spoiler)

Chapter 2
(view spoiler)

Chapter 3
(view spoiler)

Chapter 4
(view spoiler)

I am also looking forward to the masquerade.

Nicholas Sheridan, the Viscount of Roxton
(view spoiler)

Miss Abigail Laytham
(view spoiler)

message 18: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

I am through Chapter 4 too - I think it’s starting to smooth out, rather than jump back and forth so much.

Looking forward to the masquerade also.

(view spoiler)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Love your character exposés Mariana - spot on!

message 20: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Love your character exposés Mariana - spot on!"

I agree! It is spot on.

message 21: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Through Chapter 7

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Mariana (last edited May 29, 2018 07:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariana | 2311 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Through Chapter 7

I also am glad the author chose not to drag it out.

This is an easy story to read, and I feel the author can redeem the hero. I don't dislike him as much as I should.

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments I read 2 chapters (view spoiler)

message 24: by Priya (last edited May 30, 2018 02:44AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mariana wrote: "...Miss Abigail Laytham
(view spoiler) "

Spot on! (view spoiler)

message 25: by Loriidae (last edited May 30, 2018 09:27PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments Chapter Five (view spoiler)

Chapter Seven -(view spoiler)
Through Chapter Nine -(view spoiler)

At almost halfway, I am still feeling that there must be a prequel that I should have read before the story. I am not quite ready to call it a dud, but it seems rather flimsy reasoning on which to base the entire book.

message 26: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Through Chapter 9

It is starting to feel very repetitive and circular to me. I was thinking that the writing was good enough that it made up for the weak plot, but it’s starting to grate now. I am not quite willing to call it a dud yet either, but it’s definitely past the point of being a winner also.

Re Chapter 9 spoiler: (view spoiler)

Loriidae | 1120 comments I think what is encouraging for me is that going on the publishing dates on GR, this appears to be a debut novel and the fact that the rest of the books in the series are all rated over 4.

Yes I am also becoming annoyed with the repetitive circular feel. and I totally agree re your spoiler to my spoiler on Chapter Nine.
(view spoiler)

What do you think about the characterisation or lack thereof of Miss Caldwell? (view spoiler)

message 28: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loriidae wrote: "I think what is encouraging for me is that going on the publishing dates on GR, this appears to be a debut novel and the fact that the rest of the books in the series are all rated over 4.

Yes I a..."

Oh, I didn’t realize it was her debut good catch! That is encouraging. The writing flow seems good, so with a stronger plot that could mean a good read.

I agree that his actions were immature. He is perhaps redeemable still.

I agree with your thoughts on Miss Caldwell. She feels a bit too convenient to me. Perfect for the lord courting Abigail perhaps?

message 29: by Mariana (last edited May 31, 2018 11:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariana | 2311 comments Good discussion. I agree with all points.

I have finished the book. Despite the repetition, it was easy for me to keep reading.

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Don’t have much time to write something, but I made it to Chapter 17 this morning.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Through Chapter Sixteen (view spoiler)

message 32: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lorii re: your spoiler: I feel like it changes gears pretty quickly. Sometimes that’s a good thing (view spoiler) but sometimes it’s too quick (view spoiler).

Through Chapter 18 (view spoiler)

Mariana | 2311 comments Yes, the personal witnessing of Glenmoor's grotesque death seems a proper motivation for Nicholas' change and introspection.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Chapter Seventeen (view spoiler)

Chapter 18 - yes I agree more drama and misunderstandings!

Read through Chapter 20 today. Will finish it out tomorrow.

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments I finished reading. I agree with your comments about Abigail's (view spoiler)

message 36: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just finished up.

I don’t have any strong opinions on this one, and it was easy to read. I never did get over the feeling that we were dumped into the middle of a story.

I read the synopsis for the next in series and think I will give it a try sometime.

message 37: by Loriidae (last edited Jun 03, 2018 03:51PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments Yes exactly!

Ideas for next month err this month? Where is the year going?

On my TBR I have
The Forbidden Duke Darcy Burke (Allie was raving about her at one stage)

Ravishing in Red Madeline Hunter - which you have read but a different one by her would work.

A Talent for Trickery Alissa Johnson

Or anything else you would like to read.

Mariana any ideas?

Mariana | 2311 comments One thing I did not bring up before was the whole situation with the maid. I just couldn't get over it. Our heroine trusted her maid as one of only two people, the other being her cousin and best friend, to share that she would be sneaking out and using the key to attend and illicit sex party. Later on, when her maid attempted to be too familiar, she told the maid that she must behave in accordance with her position and not treat her like a friend. It just seems to me like it should be one way or the other. Either the maid is very close to you, almost like family, and you trust her implicitly; or she's not. In that case, it's fine to tell her put her in her place; but why ever in the world would you share something so dangerous!? Was it any wonder the maid went to the arch-nemesis and shared such a scandalous tidbit?

message 39: by Mariana (last edited Jun 03, 2018 05:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariana | 2311 comments If we are going to read Darcy Burke, I would prefer to go with Her Wicked Ways as it is free on Amazon Kindle.

I am also open to reading Madeline Hunter. My library has over 20 of her books but not Ravishing in Red.

A Talent for Trickery is available on Hoopla, so I think that would be a good choice.

message 40: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariana - Not many of my friends have read Her Wicked Ways, but it says you’re one of them. Do you remember it? I actually have it marked as read, and after reading the summary, I think I recall liking it. I would welcome a reread. Either Burke would be fine with me. I have seen Allie and Becca rave about her.

Madeleine Hunter is one of my favorites. I haven’t read any of her medievals, but I think I have read all of the others. I would reread any except her most recent release which I did not enjoy.

I am game for A Talent For Trickery.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Well A Talent for trickery sounds like the plan.

Dates??? Over the year we have gradually pushed out to the end of the month. Do you mind coming forward? I have a darker series on audio for the 18th and I wouldn't mind something a bit lighter to follow. A palette cleanser so to speak. :) Perhaps the 20th (June) which is a Wednesday or do you prefer to start on the week-end?

What suits?

Loriidae | 1120 comments Mariana wrote: "One thing I did not bring up before was the whole situation with the maid. I just couldn't get over it. Our heroine trusted her maid as one of only two people, the other being her cousin and best f..."

Oh I agree that part was a bit of a clumsy set up for the betrayal.

message 43: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Well A Talent for trickery sounds like the plan.

Dates??? Over the year we have gradually pushed out to the end of the month. Do you mind coming forward? I have a darker series on audio for the 18..."

Works for me!

message 44: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 04, 2018 09:18AM) (new) - added it

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Hey there!

I don’t think I’m going to finish this book.

I’ve been caught up with bingo and reading books to the series challenge and RATA for this group.

I was attracted to this book bec it’s self-published—and I’ve been having good luck with HR outside of the HR machine (self-published, non-famous authors etc., obscure publishers, obscure authors), such as it is.

Im only a couple of pages in and there are hints that this is not something that I would enjoy enough to insert it with my reading for the two challenges for this group.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Honestly Andrea, I don't think you are missing anything. Way too much drama for me!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Loriidae wrote: "Honestly Andrea, I don't think you are missing anything. Way too much drama for me!"

Thanks Loriidae.

Mariana | 2311 comments Loriidae wrote: "Well A Talent for trickery sounds like the plan.

Dates??? Over the year we have gradually pushed out to the end of the month. Do you mind coming forward? I have a darker series on audio for the 18..."

I return from vacation on the 18th, so the 19th or 20th is perfect!

Loriidae | 1120 comments Great I will post an invite over in the main thread.