EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

[ARCHIVES] FOR FUN > #1 The Great American Read - new TV show

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited May 19, 2018 12:23PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Finally, a competition show on TV about-- not dancers, singers, magicians,, or movies - but BOOKS!

http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american...

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

Let's discuss it when it starts.

In the meantime,

1) Identify a book that you never even heard of before seeing this list.

2) Which book(s) are you most interested in reading soon.

message 2: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) 1) I was LEAST Familiar with:

Ghost
Foundation
Wheel of Time
This present darkness
Intuitionists
Confederacy of Dunces

2) I MOST want to read:

A Prayer for Owen Meany
Americanah
Their Eyes were watching God
Handmaids Tale (possible re-read)
Book thief
Grapes of Wrath (possible re-read)

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate NancyJ wrote: "1) I was LEAST Familiar with:

Wheel of Time..."

If you like fantasy, then the Wheel of Time series is a great read, however it is a super long series, so just be ready for that kind of commitment. I still have only read about the first 7 books, but it's totally worth it.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate 1) Not familiar with:
The Pillars of the Earth (Kingsbridge, #1)
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1)
Siddhartha
Things Fall Apart
Foundation (Foundation, #1)

2) Most want to read Moby Dick. This one has been on my list for a while now.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Kate wrote: "1) Not familiar with:
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Siddhartha
Things Fall Apart
Foundation (Foundation,..."

Pillars of the Earth - haven't read it either, but I loved the first part of his 20th century trilogy.
Tree Grows in Brooklyn - have heard of it, not read it.
The Clan of the Cave Bear - historical fiction about prehistoric man. I have the audiobook if you are game for a buddy read.
Siddhartha - German literature, approach with caution
Things Fall Apart - Nigerian classic. I read it and loved it!
Foundation - sci-fi classic. But if you've not read much sci-fi you may not like it. It's an acquired taste.

Moby Dick - not sure I"m ready for this now.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate Kirsten wrote: The Clan of the Cave Bear - historical fiction about prehistoric man. I have the audiobook if you are game for a buddy read.
Siddhartha - German literature, approach with caution..."

I appreciate the offer for a buddy read, but right now I'm working on about 4 books at the same time, so I better finish those before I start anything else just yet. Lol. But I may take you up on it in the future. As far as Siddhartha, how difficult is it to read? I'm into German culture and am even learning the language, but will admit that I don't know that much about it as I'm still in the learning phase.

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Haven't read it yet, but my mom did when she was younger. (Found it in her mother's sewing basket.) I have read Hesse's book Steppenwolf and it was very philosophical, but better than French literature.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate I've read some Russian literature (granted only one book, and I can't recall the name just now) that I couldn't really get into. I think I read about half of the book before I gave up. It's possible that I just wasn't into that particular book though.

message 9: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catjackson) I was surprised at how many of these books I've already read! And then, how many of the rest are on my Want to Read list.

It looks like an interesting idea.

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I was surprised at some of the books on the list. With some books, I was thinking "if that's their favorite book, how many total books have they actually read?"

message 11: by Becko (new)

Becko 1) too many I have never heard of to list. Reaffirms my decision to broaden my reading horizons.

2) most interested in reading Beloved (heard of) and Mind Invaders (never heard of).

message 12: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Kirsten wrote: "I was surprised at some of the books on the list. With some books, I was thinking "if that's their favorite book, how many total books have they actually read?""

Yes, I had that thought too! Which books triggered that thought? I remember that Twilight and The Da Vinci Code got a lot of criticism when they became big hits, but they got a lot of people reading, so I'm not surprised to see them on the list.

I think it's good that they included a wide variety of genres, and both modern and classic books.

Sometimes your 'favorite" isn't necessarily a book that you'd consider the "best" book. Of all the books on the list, I have the
warmest memories (as a child, and as a mother) of Tom Sawyer, so I was happy to see it on the list - rather than Huck Finn which might be considered Twain's best book.

message 13: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Kate wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "1) I was LEAST Familiar with:

Wheel of Time..."

If you like fantasy, then the Wheel of Time series is a great read, however it is a super long series, so just be ready for that ki..."

There are few long series on the list. Left Behind had 20 books I think - probably not really, it just seemed like it when half my family was reading it. I'm not a big fantasy reader, but once in while I'll find something I really like.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I | 6 comments I took the quiz on the website. I've read 26 out of the 100. Not very impressive haha.

message 15: by Lena (new)

Lena (nlgmcr69) | 81 comments Sarah wrote: "I took the quiz on the website. I've read 26 out of the 100. Not very impressive haha."

I took the quiz and only had 23 so at least you are doing better than me.

message 16: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catjackson) The quiz shows I've read about half the books. But that doesn't include those I started but didn't finish because I just couldn't. Those books include War & Peace, Crime & Punishment, Don Quixote. Some of the books listed I'm just never going to pick up: The Notebook, The Left Behind series (horrible theology), and Fifty Shades of Grey.

message 17: by Sally (new)

Sally taylor (sallyjanet) | 247 comments Kate wrote: "1) Not familiar with:
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Siddhartha
Things Fall Apart
Foundation (Foundation,..."

I just read The Pillars of the Earth. SO GOOD. It is a long book (over 900 pages) but well worth the time. When I read a long book I get the audio version too, then when I have to do things like drive or dishes or laundry I can keep listening to the book. I found I get just as much out of a book if I read and listen to it at the same time. I use the LIBBY app on my phone so I get all the audios for free. I just found out it was a miniseries that is on YOUTUBE,, so I might watch it, but honestly the writing is so good I might not want to see how they ruined it,, LOL

message 18: by Sally (new)

Sally taylor (sallyjanet) | 247 comments I read 48, but that doesn't include ones I didn't finish. I am going to make it a goal to read the other 52 by this time next year. only one a week (well maybe more if I read the whole series I haven't started! but I am gonna give it a shot...

message 19: by Zainab (new)

Zainab Al Lawati (zainaballawati) | 224 comments Since I've only started reading -properly- 2-3 years ago, I've only read 9 of them :p
As most of you, I have some books on the list that I will definitely NOT read. Some books are on my want-to-read list. Others, I honestly haven't heard of them (41 of them)!

Since this group aims to read "the books that everyone has read", I am hoping eventually I'll cross more from this list.

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate Sally wrote: I just read The Pillars of the Earth. SO GOOD. ..."

Is it in the fantasy genre? I've just recently gotten into audio books, and I like being able to flip back and forth between reading and listening, but I find that if I'm trying to listen while I drive I just miss what's going on in the story because I'm too focused on driving (which is a good thing, lol). So mainly I'll listen while going for a walk or doing dishes, chores, etc. so that I can focus more on what I'm listening too. The only books so far that I've had success listening to while driving are ones I've read before because I already pretty much know what's going on.

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Funderburg I'm looking forward to this show, at least to give it a chance. According to the quiz, I've read 25 of the books; not bad!

Books on the list I've never heard of (embarrassed to say):
Foundation
A Separate Peace
Americanah
The Pilgrim's Progress
The ShackGhost
Tales of the City
White Teeth
Swan Song
The Sirens of Titan
The Coldest Winter Ever
The Intuitionist
Dona Barbara
Mind Invaders

Most looking forward to reading:
Siddartha - it's been on my "to read" list for years!

message 23: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Kate wrote: "Sally wrote: I just read The Pillars of the Earth. SO GOOD. ..."

Is it in the fantasy genre? I've just recently gotten into audio books, and I like being able to flip back and forth between readin..."

It's historical fiction. It was written nearly 30 years ago and it's still finding new readers. I loved it. Someday I'll reread it, along with his later books. Follet wrote a lot of great thrillers too.

message 24: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) I made a note of this when the list/website appeared - but I'd forgotten, so I'm looking forward to catching up on the show now. I've read 59 of the books (but some I don't remember, and some I didn't like so much, oh well...) Doubt I'll be able to read with the show, but this looks like a great challenge. I'm going to tailor the list to my needs a bit. Some of the books on here are SO good I'd read them 100 times each.

message 25: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Ella wrote: "

Some of the books on here are SO good I'd read them 100 times each.
.."

Which are your favorites?

message 26: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Keeton | 257 comments I was surprised at how many books on here I had never heard of, and surprised at how many modern popular books were on here. I guess I just excepted a lot of more classics. As a result though when I took the quiz I have only read 22 of the 100.
But what I am most interested in reading is Don Quixote

message 27: by NancyJ (last edited May 19, 2018 12:06PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Kyra wrote: "I was surprised at how many books on here I had never heard of, and surprised at how many modern popular books were on here. I guess I just excepted a lot of more classics. As a result though when ..."

I want to read it too. I saw Man of La Mancha (play or movie) about it when I was very young but I don't remember much.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... I have to admit that I am a bit worried about what the results will say about Americans and their reading tastes... I mean we have Fifty Shades of Gray on the same list as The Grapes of Wrath! Ugh.

message 29: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 90 comments I've read 55 on the list. Some books are very new--Ghost by Jason Reynolds is young adult fiction and only a couple of years old (very fun, though).

Some books on the list are popular, but that I have NO interest in reading (50 Shades, Left Behind, Song of Ice and Fire). It is a fun concept, though, and I'll be interested in seeing how it plays out.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 729 comments I’ve only read 28 (didn’t count Chronicles of Narnia bc I barely remember it) but I am very pleased to find that a lot of the books on the list that I haven’t read are on my bookshelf waiting for me! Today I programmed my TV to record every episode of the show. Thanks for bringing it up, I’m looking forward to it!

message 31: by NancyJ (last edited May 19, 2018 10:17PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Kelly wrote: "I have to admit that I am a bit worried about what the results will say about Americans and their reading tastes... I mean we have Fifty Shades of Gray on the same list as The Grapes of Wrath! Ugh."

People in other countries already think we have bad taste - in T-shirts, sneakers, presidents, etc. - so I don't think this can make it any worse. Plus, I think Fifty Shades did well all over the world. (Save those places where it could get you stoned.) : )

Seriously, I think it's supposed to represent our diversity of tastes, and that's not a bad thing.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 729 comments America is pretty self indulgent. I could see this provoking strong opinions on our country! Not to mention, even though 50 shades was read by a lot of people, the writing is TERRIBLE and I found it very repetitive. I was reading the series for a real life book club and just couldn’t finish. And in no way was it due to me being a sheltered prude, I’ve had a quite colorful past. The writing was just that awful!

message 33: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 431 comments I noticed that several people want to read The Pillars of the Earth. The Kindle version is on offer from AmazonUK this month - I got it for only £0.99. Hopefully there are similar offers available in other countries.

message 34: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Sarah wrote: " even though 50 shades was read by a lot of people, the writing is TERRIBLE and I found i..."

I didn't even want to read it. I did watch the PBS show the other night and they had celebrities and interesting people talking about their favorite books. Neil Degrasse Tyler (I think) was very eloquent in his description of Gulliver's TravelsGulliver's Travels, and social satire. I learned something new. I think I'll get a lot more out of it as an adult than I did when I first read it.

message 35: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Kelly wrote: "I have to admit that I am a bit worried about what the results will say about Americans and their reading tastes... I mean we have Fifty Shades of Gray on the same list as The Grapes of Wrath! Ugh."

I can't imagine that fifty shades has any chance of winning, but to be sure, maybe we all should vote for the ones we want to win.

Which books SHOULD WIN?

message 36: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) The special is really interesting. Many of the books were put there because of personal reasons. Others I think the person just found the most enjoyment in them.

I mean if the criteria is a book I read over and over and over, I'd nominate the IN DEATH series. For a classic, it'd be Jane Eyre. For a modern classic, I'd choose the Lord Peter Wimsey series or Day of the Triffids by Wyndham.

People need to realize that this isn't about the best novel. It's favorite reads and that's considerably different.

message 37: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Kirsten wrote: "The special is really interesting. Many of the books were put there because of personal reasons. Others I think the person just found the most enjoyment in them.

I mean if the criteria is a book I..."

If I based my vote on the number of readings, I might have to go with Tom Sawyer, Harry Potter, and Charlotte's Web, largely because I had to re-read them to my kids (or with my kids) so many times.

message 38: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I love the Harry Potters. I remember thinking how great they were and what good lessons and morals they teach to kids. Then I discovered people I work with that refuse to let their kids read them in case they experiment with witchcraft (!!)

I mean, using that criteria, I would've gone into a life of crime.

message 39: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Lol Kirsten I probably would have as well. Or the Detective who investigates your crimes. Or I might have been a spy. Or a soldier. I used to love Spy thrillers and war books as well.

I wish reading Harry Potter did make me into a witch. I could do with a little magic in my life at the moment.

message 40: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I agree, Jacqueline!!

message 41: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Jacqueline wrote: "Lol Kirsten I probably would have as well. Or the Detective who investigates your crimes. Or I might have been a spy. Or a soldier. I used to love Spy thrillers and war books as well.

I wish read..."

Well I did learn how to make my dog play dead. We point a stick at her and say 'Stupify!"

I'd like some magic in my life too. I used to read Anne Rice and Alice Hoffman. I like Magical realism, but I haven't read many really intricate fantasy books.

message 42: by NancyJ (last edited May 27, 2018 05:40PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Kirsten wrote: "I love the Harry Potters. I remember thinking how great they were and what good lessons and morals they teach to kids. Then I discovered people I work with that refuse to let their kids read them i..."

Yeah, some communities banned the books. My dad got worried when he found I had a borrowed copy of the Happy Hooker. Gee, I wonder what he was worried about! They couldn't tell us about sex so I had to learn about it the way I learned everything - from a book. Some people learn everything from "doing" so it could have been worse.

I had a babysitting job then, and one night the mother left out a more wholesome sex ed book, right on the table. I always suspected my mom discussed it with her.

message 43: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Has anyone starting voting for their favorite books? You can vote once a day using several different options. You can vote for many books.

One is twitter. I'm embarrassed to say I do not remember how to do it. I created an account years ago and wandered around a bit, but there was no compelling reason for me to use it. Now I'm thinking this would be a good way to get more comfortable with it. I have more reasons to use it now - e.g. to share articles and promote seminar events.

message 44: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline I’ll have to remember that one if I ever get another dog Nancy. Love it lol

message 45: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) NancyJ wrote: "Has anyone starting voting for their favorite books? You can vote once a day using several different options. You can vote for many books.

One is twitter. I'm embarrassed to say I do not remember..."

I like to use twitter to keep up on breaking news.

message 46: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Banning books or boycotting movies is so stupid. My dad always said it was free advertising. I remember when Last Temptation of Christ came out and everyone was up in arms. Daddy said it would just make a movie nobody would've gone to sell more tickets.

message 47: by NancyJ (last edited May 27, 2018 06:41PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Kirsten wrote: "Banning books or boycotting movies is so stupid. My dad always said it was free advertising. I remember when Last Temptation of Christ came out and everyone was up in arms. Daddy said it would just..."

I agree. If you ban a YA book, that's a huge gift to the author. When I was a teenager, if you told me that a book or movie wasn't appropriate for kids or teens, that would make me MUCH more interested in it. But sometimes when people say "adult themes" they're referring to (boring) marriage relationships, complex ethical dilemmas, or mid-life crises. I saw a Bergman film (Scenes from a marriage) when I was 14, and it was incredibly boring. I'd probably love it now though.

message 48: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Jacqueline wrote: "I’ll have to remember that one if I ever get another dog Nancy. Love it lol"

My husband often brought the dog to scouts meetings (during the height of HP) and the kids loved it.

message 49: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Kirsten wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "Has anyone starting voting for their favorite books? You can vote once a day using several different options. You can vote for many books.

One is twitter. I'm embarrassed to say I ..."

OK We'll have to share twitter handles (do they still say this?) when I get back to it.

message 50: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Hi, I joined the Great American Read group a few days ago. The moderator had a family issue to deal with, and now I'm the moderator. Our first group read is 1984. The nominations end tomorrow for the next read. Stop by if you'd like to join us in a group read, or to make comments on your favorite books, or just to say hi. We set up discussion space for all the books on the list.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

« previous 1