Year-long NaNo discussion

Merenwen Inglorion > Renewal of Spirit

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments So this little Camp rebellion project is now my second main WIP. I'm going to be editing the rough draft and since that will likely mean deleting more words than writing, this is going to be slow... :P
My goal is around 5K words.

message 2: by Merenwen (last edited Jul 06, 2018 05:02PM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments CAMP NANO JULY 2018

7/3/18

Word count: 362
Word count total: 552

Excerpt:
Cautiously, Corinna crept forward. Grass sodden with dew despite the noon heat bent beneath her steps. Honeysuckle, lavender, mandrake, and Lady’s Mantle bent closer towards the path as she passed.
The song had slowed, keening notes blending into the drawn-out call of a bird she couldn’t see. Corinna neared a raised platform that led up to the door. A shadow passed above her head.

message 3: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 7/4/18

Word count: 359
Word count total: 911

7/5/18

Word count: 1023
Word count total: 1934

Excerpt:
She crept forward, hunched over in case the trees should again sprout eyes and mouths. Then, the song reached her ears.
It was more hoarse than before, telling of frustration and…a burnt hand?
Without meaning to, Corinna gave a small gasp of laughter. The stones seemed to catch the noise, bounce it from one point to the other. Up to one of the windows.
The song stopped abruptly. Corinna held her breath. It seemed an eternity before the song began again, this time more childish. Quiet, as a child talking to itself, or to a favorite toy.
“Hello?” she whispered.

message 4: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 7/6/18

I think this has been the easiest bit to write so far, because most of it was copy/pasting from an earlier draft. :P

Word count: 1417
Word count total: 3278

Excerpt:
“Don’t turn around,” the boy commanded.
She frowned. “Why not?”
“I’m not allowed to let anyone see me. At least, I think that’s it. Kamilla is strange most of the time. She threatened to put out the eyes of any who set them on me.”
“Oh.”
The rope now uncoiled, she stood facing the narrow view of the outside. “So you want me to stare out the window while we talk?”
There was a frustrated sigh. “I didn’t think this through. Oh, wait!”
A strange noise, like the whiffle of a kitten, preceded some light behind her turning off. The walls around her grew nearly black.
“Turn around, and follow my voice. You’ll find a chair at some point.”
Corinna obeyed, her eyes aching at the lack of light. “What’s a chair?”

message 5: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 7/8/18

Word count: 305
Word count total: 3583

So I'm going to post two excerpts; both the same point in the story but kinda different. The first one I wrote yesterday, and the second I wrote today. I'm going to be trying to combine the two sections, but probably not until after Camp.

Excerpt:
Corinna lunged forward, her flesh and blood crumbling like so much dust. The earth became her entire being.
She partly solidified, ploughing through the ground. A mountain loomed before her.
She and her companion leaned forward. They curved down, into the ground. Through the roots of the mountain. Up through its top, scattering it as if it were sand.

Excerpt (2):
Everyone was connected. Their being, their thought, their purpose. They split off into groups; sowers, gatherers, breakers, growers.
Corinna went to the breakers. Their excitement fueled each other; Corinna’s own limitations and nervousness were drowned.
BONG.
They set off. Thrust their being down the mountain. Spread themselves, dug into crevices and—
The mountain cracked, tumbled, and rolled away in the waves of destruction the breakers trailed behind them.

message 6: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 7/13/18

Word count: 467
Word count total: 5446

Excerpt:
Notah showed the man the wonders of cooking. “Also,” he added towards the end, “the cooking implements make wonderful weapons.”
“Show me.” The warrior clasped his hands together and rested them on his knees. “Please.”

message 7: by Merenwen (last edited Jul 17, 2018 05:30PM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 7/17/18

Word count: 369
Word count total: 7378

Excerpt:
Corinna frowned in confusion. “But don’t you want to leave?”
“A bit.” Notah shifted uncomfortably.
“Why don’t you?”
“I…I can’t.”
“Then how have you been able to help me?”
“That wasn’t me, per say. That was a specter. An image, an impression of me. I’ve never been able to go into an elemental form outside the Turning; don’t have the Heart for it, I suppose.”

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Is this fantasy?

message 9: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments @Hannah: Yes, it's fantasy. Elementals are the main people group. :D

message 10: by Merenwen (last edited Jul 31, 2018 04:24PM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 7/31/18

Word count: 895
Word count total: 10573 (I passed my word count goal of 10K!!)

Excerpt:
Gotzon leaned close to her. “It seems to me as if we know this fellow. I just can’t place him, whether he means us good or ill!”
Corinna nodded, having felt the same. “I’m willing to continue trusting him.”
“Even though he’s leading us into a labyrinth of thirst and tumbling boulders?”
“Even now.”
Gotzon sighed. Corinna could picture him putting his hands out to the side, as if beseeching a deity. “Very well. If this is your choice…”

message 11: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 11/20/18

While I was trying to streamline my draft, I felt kind of stuck on a few things. So, I counted started giving it an overhaul! Things went well enough I just had to count some of words towards Nano.
Of course, now I'm tempted to ignore my Nano project altogether and work on this, because things seem to be going more smoothly... :P

Word count: 836 (counted towards Rebellion)
Word count total: 1351

Snippet:
Eyebrows drawn in a long-suffering frown, Lando continued up the path and rounded the bend. “What is—” He stopped short, breath taken away by what he saw.
The first thing he noticed was a large, golden tree. Its pale leaves and ocher flowers hung down to the ground on thin, wavering branches. Though there was no wind, the willow fluttered as if being toyed with. The very air around it seemed to sparkle.
The second thing Lando noticed was the fence. It was odd, to find any sort of boundary or border; the only people who did so were the enchanters.
“Darling,” he whispered. He wanted to say, “we should leave,” but he glanced down at her before he did so. A familiar glint was in her light gray eyes. His sentence turned into a stutter, then a sigh. “Why do you want it so badly?”
“I simply must have it!” She clutched at the lapels of his earthen-colored jacket. Her gray-cast face was drawn in longing. “Please.”
Feeling annoyed that the expression was almost the same as the one she’d met him with on their wedding night, Lando frowned. “But…it’s an enchanter’s garden!”

message 12: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 12-26-18

I have the first thousand-ish words up on my blog if you want to check it out!
https://marlenesimonetteauthor.blogsp...

I'm fairly close to done (with the rough draft), I think. I've overhauled it several times (the characters are kind of, uh, different from when I first started :P), have the outline solidified, and a few scenes hammered out. Thankfully the submission date for the Arista Challenge was bumped up to February, so I don't need to rush and can focus a bit on my other project (Tales from a Modern Bard submission) that has a deadline of the end of the month. :P

message 13: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 1/3/19

Word count: 958
Word count total: 5986
Progress: in between the first draft and "piece of carp" stage. :P
I'm adding scenes, streamlining the plot after a complete overhaul, and debating whose POV to write certain scenes in.

Excerpt:
Notah propped himself against the window. “Will you hurry and tell me what you want? I haven’t eaten in three days, and if the witch is just going to let me rot to nothing, I’d rather be asleep for it.”
“What’s it like up there?”
He fought back a yawn and laid his head on the sill. “Did you just come to chat?”
“I have some questions for you. Let down your hair!”
“It’s midnight!” Notah fairly screamed the last word. “Why couldn’t you have come earlier? Or later? As in, tomorrow?”

message 14: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 1/8/19

Word count: forgot to check before I closed Scrivener, so I’ll update once I check
Word count total: again, forgot to check. :P
Progress: hammering out a couple new scenes, rearranging some of the beginning information, and tweaking a few world building things (mostly involving the elemental magic/curses)

message 15: by Merenwen (last edited Jan 17, 2019 11:02PM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 1/17/19

Word count: 286
Word count total: 7805
Progress: Well. I thought I was almost done. Thought I just needed to straighten out a few scenes, tweak the vocab to fit more with the MC (Notah). I'm going to keep my focus on that--cuz this thing is due soon. And I've yet to have it beta'd--but I think I need sections from the POV of the other MC (Corinna).

GIFs!

description

description

message 16: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 2/27/19

Word count total: 7261
Progress: Still tweaking. Still adding/cropping scenes. About halfway done, I think. I have most of the scenes where I want them to be (story pacing wise, not necessarily edited; I feel lackluster/simple in regards to prose). And I have at least one person ready to beta when I'm done.

No way in heck have I had time to work on this more, and so I'm not going to be able to enter this into the Arista Challenge as I'd been hoping. However, I still want to try out Giraffe Craft's services, so I'm planning on submitting it at some point (probably will wait until after the contest; don't want to overwhelm Kendra she's working so hard on this <3).

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Congratulations!! 😁👏

message 18: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments @Elizabeth: Danke. :D

message 19: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 3/9/19

Word count total: still in the 7,000s
Progress: ALMOST DONE. I'm on the last quarter of the story (barring any unforseen plot developments/changes), and got over a brief block caused by my changing a few earlier scenes.

message 20: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 3/17/19

Finally got some editing done and words added!

Word count: 1362
Word count total: 8063
Progress: I think I only need a few more scenes...

Snippet:

Corinna settled onto the floor. She pursed her lips; almost as if to keep from crying.
Notah frowned. “What is it?”
“I…I miss the community.” Corinna rubbed her withered wrist. As she spoke, she kept her watery gaze on the bag. “The romps through the snow, opening ourselves to the magic, sharing duties and finding new Hearts to welcome into our homes.”
“Is that what your people do?”
“Yes.” With her good hand, Corinna swiped at her eyes. “What…what do yours do?”
“I was only there for a handful of Turnings, but from what I can recall: we would gather as much fruit as we could, festoon ourselves with anything bright, and make punch.” He scratched his chin absently. “One year, mother was so obsessed with trying to find something—or maybe it was steal something—that would make a Wind Child heady, that she accidentally intoxicated everyone within a hundred miles.”
Corinna laughed. “Oh, father told me of that year. Well, what he could remember, at least.” She laughed again. “He said he and his herders wound up wandering into another Earth kingdom. Incidentally, that’s how he met mother.”
Notah laughed along with her. “I suppose something good came of that incident, after all.”

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments So cool!! Are you ever planning on traditionally publishing this? Or even self publishing? I would read it!! ^.^

message 22: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments If you need any help Beta reading it or Alpha reading it I'd be able to offer my assistance!! Or even if you would do an ARC. I could do that too. :P However, if you don't need any more help that's completely okay!! I was just gonna offer my assistance. xD

message 23: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Elizabeth wrote: "If you need any help Beta reading it or Alpha reading it I'd be able to offer my assistance!! Or even if you would do an ARC. I could do that too. :P However, if you don't need any more help that's..."

Oh man that'd be awesome!

Yes, I'm hoping to have it done and self-published by...well, I don't have a set date, but definitely before the end of the year. I'm almost done with the first draft, and only have one Beta, so I'd appreciate it if you'd like to Beta. :D

It's still kind of...messy, but I'm planning on sending it out for Beta'ing by either the end of this week, or beginning of next week. (I've been focusing on this for so long, I need a break. XD)

I'll mostly be looking for input on characters, and placement for some musical description. It's kind of bare at the moment, because I'm not entirely sure what kind of sensory input others would be expecting in the forefront (I'm planning on adjusting description based on beta input).

message 24: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments Merenwen wrote: "3/17/19

Finally got some editing done and words added!

Word count: 1362
Word count total: 8063
Progress: I think I only need a few more scenes...

Snippet:

Corinna settled onto the floor. She pu..."

*heart eyes*

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Okay!! Well I'm open for whatever you got and I can do my best to help you in those areas!! =)

message 26: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments I would offer to beta, but only if you need another one. :P

message 27: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments SHINE wrote: "This looks so interesting! *leans in very close*"

Danke!
Hopefully I'll post more snippets soon. :D

Merie wrote: "I would offer to beta, but only if you need another one. :P"

Oh that'd be awesome, thanks! Can you PM me your email?
Should have it ready for beta'ing by the end of the week.

Elizabeth wrote: "Okay!! Well I'm open for whatever you got and I can do my best to help you in those areas!! =)"

Yay! Can you PM your email address to me? I know I've been able to view it on my kindle, but I have no idea how to view it on my computer...

message 28: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 3/18/19

Word count: 111 (I wrote more words last night, but forgot to add them to my previous word count, so)
Word count total: 8747
Progress: I need maybe one more scene, then I'll let this thing sit for a day or two, then sweep through it and tidy up the prose a bit. :P

Snippet:

The next day, the witch called Notah to her again. The low notes pulled him directly in front of the kitchen’s dead fireplace. He backpedaled before he could fall into the cavernous opening. “Would it be so very hard for you to give a little warning?”
“I am going out for a time.” Kamille tossed a bag at his feet. It made a peculiar rattling noise, one he almost recognized. “Make me a loaf of bread by the time I return.”
“Or what?”
“I will kill you,” she said with a snarl.
“Same as last time? You could get creative, you know. My father told me there used to be a society that—”
The witch vanished in a puff of cloying smoke. Notah put an arm over his face, coughing. “Fine. Ignore history!”

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Okay, will do, ASAP!! ;P

And lovely snippet!! =)

message 30: by Merie (new)

Merie Shen (princess_of_space) | 626 comments Merenwen wrote: "SHINE wrote: "This looks so interesting! *leans in very close*"

Danke!
Hopefully I'll post more snippets soon. :D

Merie wrote: "I would offer to beta, but only if you need another one. :P"

Oh th..."

Yikes! It says you're not accepting messages on Goodreads.

message 31: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments @Elizabeth: thanks!

@Merie: oh, dear, forgot about that setting...fixed! You should be able to PM me now. :)

message 32: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 3/19/19

Word count: -59 (I deleted more than I wrote, but I have all the scenes in place now)
Word count total: 8597
Progress: Done! I'm going to let it sit for a few days so I can comb through it with fresh eyes.
I have also decided to split this into 2 parts, like I did with Trouble In Bookland.
So Part 1 is done. :)

message 33: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Awesome!! =)

message 34: by Oceane (new)

Oceane McAllister (therealqueenofnarnia) | 592 comments Merenwen wrote: "3/18/19

Word count: 111 (I wrote more words last night, but forgot to add them to my previous word count, so)
Progress: I need maybe one more scene, then I'll let this thing..."

Wow... this snippet is so good! I can't believe there are so many talented writers on here! It seems every new update on this group becomes my favorite!

message 35: by Merenwen (last edited May 10, 2019 10:17PM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Oceane wrote: "Merenwen wrote: "3/18/19

Progress: I need maybe one more scene, then I'..."

Aw, thanks. :D
Just checked out the first few updates for Crown of Roses; it sounds so dang cool. ^(^.^)^

message 36: by Merenwen (last edited May 10, 2019 10:22PM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 5/10/19

Word/page count: 5 pages
Progress: Editing! Going through and checking where to change/add description, and clear up some confusion about the magic system and motives of the Witches

Unfortunately, I forgot to double-space my document before I printed it, so edits are going to be messy... :P
I think editing is easier when I have the pages in front of me, versus on a computer.
AND I LOVE WIELDING MY RED PEN.

message 37: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 5/11/19

Word/page count: 6 pages
Progress: Editing

message 38: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 5/12/19

Word/page count: 21 pages
Progress: Editing! Figured out a couple of scenes that would help explain more about the magic system, cleaned up some prose, and came up with names for everything. Examples: instead of Fire Children, they are now Clann Smalaidh (or just Smalaidh); instead of Wind Children, they are the Haize.
Oh, I also changed the medium of the magic. Before, it had been all music. Now, I've decided to include other forms of art.
Hour-long lunch breaks are awesome, y'all.

message 39: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Your progressing. . . . that's a good thing.

Art and Music?? That sounds wonderful!!

message 40: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Your progressing. . . . that's a good thing.

Art and Music?? That sounds wonderful!!"

Aye! Haven't progressed much since then, though. Figures. XD
Hoping to get back on it before the month is over.

Yup! I'm having fun exploring different magical applications for things like pottery and literature.

message 41: by Merenwen (last edited May 22, 2019 12:09PM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Placeholder cover in an attempt to motivate myself. Not that I'm not motivated at the moment, but I get the feeling I'm going to hit another slump sometime soon. :P
(Idk if these images show up for anyone, so please let me know...still relatively new to Canva...)

https://www.canva.com/design/DADasquZ...

message 42: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 5/27/19

Word/page count: 2-3 pages of notes/brainstorming for new scenes that I have to write

message 43: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments SHINE wrote: "So pretty!"

Thanks! :D

message 44: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 6/20/19

Word/page count: 5 pages (handwritten) of misc. worldbuilding, mostly magic.

Here is a skit that inspired the way the Haize Taide (magic of the Wind Children) works: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ra2PxPT...

message 45: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Here's a blog post I wrote the other day, comparing this story's previous opening to the reworked one: https://marlenesimonetteauthor.blogsp...

message 46: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 8/6/19

Word/page count: 1 page (handwritten), misc. scene

message 47: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 8/20/19

Word/page count: 867

Added a prologue, with one scene from Corinna's POV, another from Notah's, showing what attracted one to the other in the first place.

Snippet:
She pressed her forehead against the thatch and listened. So many songs flowed through the air: the natural hum of the mountain, the rumbling drums from the quarry on the other side, the screech of new flute players attempting to Herd whatever animals lived in this place. Faint, and very distant, she heard another song.
This song tugged at her heart. Her fingers twitched with an eagerness to play her own instrument.

message 48: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 8/25/19

Word/page count: 220

Finished up the last bit of the prologue.

Snippet:
The raven blatted out a laugh. “Speechless!”
Annoyed, Notah scowled. “My vocabulary isn’t stifled, merely startled.” He menacingly held up a pillow. “Elucidate the disappearance before I become cantankerous.”
The raven squawked and scrambled up the bedpost to the canopy above. Head bobbing, it said, “Name! Gave me name!”
Notah flopped onto his back, head hanging off the edge of the bed. “Fine. Tell me what this intriguing character has named you.”

message 49: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 8/26/19

Word/page count: 675

Most of it was copy/pasting old scenes and tweaking them a bit (or making notes to tweak), but hey I wrote today!
I'm going to try and get this draft done by the end of...
*glances at calendar*
Okay, not the end of August. September, maybe October? :P
There really isn't that much left for me to write, since I can salvage a lot (more than I originally thought!) from the older drafts.
Here's hoping things at work get back into groove soon.

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Merenwen (last edited Sep 03, 2019 09:44PM) (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments 9/1/19

Word/page count: 316

Going through the first chapter or so and cleaning it up a bit before a session with Hope Ann, who evidently is a writing coach. ^.^

Snippet:
“I need new stories.”
From the other side of the room came a caw, and ruffle of wings. “Library?”
“No, you insufferable thing.” Notah dug his palm into his cheek. “I need to see them, hear them, experience them. Not follow the viscid dribbles that grace the pressed skin of dead Planters.” He glared out into the distance, where he assumed his captor’s cottage was. “Libraries are grisly tombs.”

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Trouble In Bookland (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Hope Ann (other topics)