Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
This topic is about One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Film & TV Adaptations > Film-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob | 4857 comments Mod
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was our November 2010 monthly read. It is also our august 2014 Revisit the Shelf, reread.

As far as I know this is the only movie version:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073486/?...

Janet (jangoodell) It is a very good movie. I have seen it 3-4 times. Will be starting the book this week.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I've never seen the movie. I just finished listening to the eAudio (my first audio book).

As I listened to the book and although McMurphy has red hair, I can see how JNicholson was well cast.

The actress who was cast as nurse Ratchett was well cast as well.

Now I really do want to see the movie, because I think that I missed a lot with the eAudio. My mind wandered an unlike text, it's difficult to re listen to what was missed.

message 4: by Feliks (last edited Aug 27, 2014 11:27AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Its a legendary movie with a deft script directed by a razor-sharp talent working with an incredibly well-picked ensemble cast of strong (but almost completely unknown) performers. It was made in a timeperiod where great movies were recognized-as-great primarily based on the acting contained in them. Nicholson and Fletcher explode with their performances. Probably no other American actor at the time could have handled this role except Nicholson. The result blew audiences away; it nabbed a raft-load of Oscars for its year; and cemented or launched the careers of almost everyone in it. Danny DeVito and Christopher Lloyd both got their starts here. Nicholson became a national icon; probably the peak film of his career. Its a gritty, frank; disturbing film made with integrity and no shortcuts; no kowtowing to executives, marketers or distributors. A film made for adult audiences and not deliberately made 'cool' for kids with 'cool dialogue' for them to quote. Downbeat ending, too: how often do you see that anymore?

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments @Felicks,

Thank you for the additional background about the film. I think that I always knew that Nicholson was a member of this cast, but I was unaware of the accolades and oscar nominations.

They don't seem to want to make films that carry their own weight based on the strength of the acting. Now the studios seed to be concerned with the merchandizing of T-shirts and action figures rather than quality adult film-fare.

Christine | 1218 comments I watched this film last night for the first time, after reading the book for the first time with our Revisit the Shelf group read last month. I thought they did a very good job with the film, and Jack Nicholson was excellent. It did seem very different from the book in some ways though, without the Chief as the POV character.