Manchester District Library Book Club discussion

2018-2019 Season > Suggestions for 2018-2019 Season

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shea (new)

Shea | 221 comments Mod
Please let us know what you would like to read or share with the Manchester District Library Book Club.

message 2: by Shea (new)

Shea | 221 comments Mod
I would like to suggest Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder in the biography category.

message 3: by Shea (new)

Shea | 221 comments Mod
From Lorri:
Americanah by Adichie; A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and 1984, both of which I read as a youngster; And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie (I've never read one of hers!); The Clan of the Cave Bear; Crime and Punishment; The Count of Monte Cristo; Don Quixote; Heart of Darkness; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; The Little Prince; Pilgrim's Progress.

Lorri

message 4: by Shea (new)

Shea | 221 comments Mod
From Mary:
1) My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor
2) Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario
3) City of Thorns by Ben Rawlence
4) Manoomin: The Story of Wild Rice in Michigan by Barb Barton
5) Dark Money: the Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right by Jane Mayer
6) Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan

message 5: by Shea (new)

Shea | 221 comments Mod
For a YA read I would like to suggest Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

Memoir: Educated: A Memoir

I would also second The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which I have had on my to-read shelf forever and it is a departure from most of our previous reads.

message 6: by Patty (new)

Patty | 109 comments Mod
I was also thinking Eleanor would be fun especially since it's being made into a film, but I didn't think about it fitting into the YA catagory.
I wanted to read Educated too but what about the biography, Prairie Fires?
I've tried to read the hitchhiker but couldn't do it. I have listened to all of the series though...something about the English accent mesmerized me. It would be an unusual fun choice for us.

message 7: by Shea (new)

Shea | 221 comments Mod
Patty wrote: "I was also thinking Eleanor would be fun especially since it's being made into a film, but I didn't think about it fitting into the YA catagory.
I wanted to read Educated too but what about the bi..."

I think Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder is a given since so many of us were interested in it. If we do a second biographical pick I would say Educated: A Memoir.

message 8: by Shea (new)

Shea | 221 comments Mod
After our discussion last night here are some of the books that were discussed and also have been checked for availability through the library and length.
Classic: And Then There Were None
Historical Fiction: Enemy Women
Award Winning Fiction: Sing, Unburied, Sing
Michigan Based Book: The Loon Feather
YA: Nation and The Tyrant's Daughter
SciFi/Fantasy: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Non-Fiction: The Underground Girls of Kabul: In Search of a Hidden Resistance in Afghanistan
Contemporary Fiction: Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
Biography/Memoir: My Beloved WorldNotorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder

Please let me know your thoughts. I have listed them in a proposal of the order in which they would be read.

message 9: by Shea (last edited Jul 25, 2018 10:33AM) (new)

Shea | 221 comments Mod
Not a suggestion for 2018-2019 but I saw this today and am intrigued: The Strange Case of Dr. Couney: How a Mysterious European Showman Saved Thousands of American Babies
I figured if I put it here I would remember it later.

message 10: by Shea (new)

Shea | 221 comments Mod
I have come across another YA novel we can consider now or in the future: Good Night, Mr. Tom

message 11: by Shea (new)

Shea | 221 comments Mod
Another future YA read. The author is local so perhaps we could get her to come to the discussion. I am guessing it will be at least a year before the library system has sufficient copies of the book.
http://themanchestermirror.com/2018/0...
Dragon Song

message 12: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Herron | 20 comments I am really intrigued about the underground girls of Kabul, and would very much like to read it. Since I was at the July discussion I think I’d just say that we had a pretty good discussion so the books were pretty well vetted.

message 13: by Patty (new)

Patty | 109 comments Mod
I just got a used copy of Underground Girls of Kabul from Better World Books for $4, free shipping and 25%off if I ordered 3 books.
A great deal and now I can put all the sticky notes I want into it.

The author, Jenny Nordberg, won a Pulitzer for National reporting in 2005 and the 2010 Robert F Kennedy Awardfor Excellence in Journalism for a television doc. on Afghan women.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIKC0...

Hope to see everyone on Wednesday