Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2)
This topic is about Grey Sister
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Lawrence, Mark--Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2) informal buddy reads July 1, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31626 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Grey Sister by Mark Lawrence.

Synopsis
In Mystic Class Nona Grey begins to learn the secrets of the universe. But so often even the deepest truths just make our choices harder. Before she leaves the Convent of Sweet Mercy Nona must choose her path and take the red of a Martial Sister, the grey of a Sister of Discretion, the blue of a Mystic Sister or the simple black of a Bride of the Ancestor and a life of prayer and service.

All that stands between her and these choices are the pride of a thwarted assassin, the ambition of a would-be empress wielding the Inquisition like a blade, and the vengeance of the empire’s richest lord.

As the world narrows around her, and her enemies attack her through the system she has sworn to, Nona must find her own path despite the competing pull of friendship, revenge, ambition, and loyalty.

And in all this only one thing is certain.
There will be blood.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Cat (last edited May 15, 2018 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cat (cat_uk) | 7544 comments Mod
Initial plan: to start reading 1 July, after the BOM of Red Sister is finished

message 5: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments Sounds good to me Cat. I got an ARC of this from NetGalley having not actually read Red Sister so now I need to read both.

message 6: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cat (cat_uk) | 7544 comments Mod
You will be very welcome! I hope you both enjoy Red Sister! It took me a bit of time to settle into it, but I loved Nona & the story

message 7: by Tina ❣ (new) - added it

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1908 comments Oh Cool. I think I'll join in after Red Sister

message 8: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments Finished Red Sister and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to picking this up now. Are we still on for a 1st July start?

Sunny (sunnyisreading) | 340 comments I am all in for this!

Nicole P | 1834 comments Can I jump in on this pretty please? Finished Red Sister for the BOM and am desperate to see how things pan out.

message 11: by Teddie (new) - added it

Teddie (teddieg) | 1456 comments I'm hoping to join this too :)

message 12: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments Yay! Joing from Team Tonks!

Elize Russell (bookscookslooks) | 95 comments Just finished Red Sister for BOM and would love to join this!

message 14: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments Page 36 Chapter 5
(view spoiler)

message 15: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments I was finishing up another book yesterday so just started this morning.

I am so happy the author did a here's what happened in the previous book section. I didn't think I would need it given I just finished Red Sister but I did find it helped clarify things a lot, particularly around the world. I do still kind of want a map though.

message 16: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments Alison wrote: "I was finishing up another book yesterday so just started this morning.

I am so happy the author did a here's what happened in the previous book section. I didn't think I would need it given I jus..."

Yes, I found those little snippets to be really helpful!

message 17: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments Page 102 Finished Chapter 10

(view spoiler)

Elize Russell (bookscookslooks) | 95 comments Alison wrote: "I was finishing up another book yesterday so just started this morning.

I am so happy the author did a here's what happened in the previous book section. I didn't think I would need it given I jus..."

Yes I thought this was very clever. When he was like 'this is to avoid my characters having awkward dialogue to explain the past'. So honest :P

message 19: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments Elize wrote: "Alison wrote: "I was finishing up another book yesterday so just started this morning.

I am so happy the author did a here's what happened in the previous book section. I didn't think I would need..."

It's definitely a lot better than the info dumping a lot of authors do within the story. I'm kind of surprised you don't get a section like this in more books.

Is anyone else finding this story easier to get into than Red Sister? I have to admit I struggled a bit with Red Sister at the start, too much jumping around in time, not sure what was actually true, too many characters but while I'm still getting confused over characters names (particularly the sisters/Mistresses) I've found I'm already more into the story.

message 20: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments I'm up to around the end of chapter five now. Not sure how I feel about the prologue/flash forward at the start (and I'm assuming at the beginning of each part). I love how it's continuing the story from the first book as I want to know what happens but given it's set so many years in the future it is a bit spoilery (it's probably safe to assume that if someone's in the flash forward they're not going to die in the present).

Couple of other things I'm wondering about so far,

Sister Kettle (view spoiler)

Nona's(view spoiler)

Abbess Glass (view spoiler)

Nicole P | 1834 comments Alison wrote: "I was finishing up another book yesterday so just started this morning.

I just started at the "chapter" The Story So Far and it was very helpful. I missed a few things and this helped me to understand a lot. And I wholeheartedly agree about the map. Would help to visualize places and the world.

message 22: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments Alison wrote: "Elize wrote: "Alison wrote: "I was finishing up another book yesterday so just started this morning.

I am so happy the author did a here's what happened in the previous book section. I didn't thin..."

Yes, this one is easier, but I struggle with a lot of the first books of a series, they have to go through so much to build the world and characters, I am loving this!

message 23: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments page 157
Chapter 16 was my favorite! LOVING this!!

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments Teri wrote: "Page 102 Finished Chapter 10

[spoilers removed]"

I seem to be flying through this so much faster too and yep I'm loving it.

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments Alison wrote: "Teri wrote: "Page 102 Finished Chapter 10

[spoilers removed]"

I seem to be flying through this so much faster too and yep I'm loving it.

Zole is really growing on me too but I'm probably most im..."

Yes! (view spoiler)

message 26: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments page 192 (view spoiler)

Elena  | 1403 comments I'm in too! Started reading when TT started but put on hold for the buddy read. Might have to go back to the beginning, it's been a while!

Nicole P | 1834 comments Teri wrote: "Page 36 Chapter 5
[spoilers removed]"

I feel exactly the same!

(view spoiler)

Nicole P | 1834 comments Alison wrote: "I'm up to around the end of chapter five now. Not sure how I feel about the prologue/flash forward at the start (and I'm assuming at the beginning of each part). I love how it's continuing the stor..."

Oh my gosh. Yes to all these questions!

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments Page 207
I am so anxious now. I need to take a break for a bit.

message 31: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments Teri wrote: "page 157
Chapter 16 was my favorite! LOVING this!!

[spoilers removed]"

Just finished chapter 16 and it really was brilliant. I love how creative Nona is and how determined and willing to take risks she can be. (view spoiler)

Completely unrelated but in terms of the flash forwards (view spoiler)

message 32: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments (view spoiler)

Elena  | 1403 comments I'm up to chapter 8 and I echo what was said above about new characters, thread work and Abbess Glass :) I'm really enjoying this series - the characters, the complexity of the world, the writing. One thing that slightly bothered me in book 1 was how mature Nona sounded at her very young age, and now that the characters are older it's not the case anymore.

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments Elena wrote: "I'm up to chapter 8 and I echo what was said above about new characters, thread work and Abbess Glass :) I'm really enjoying this series - the characters, the complexity of the world, the writing. ..."

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments 234
Quote spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 36: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments 248
(view spoiler)

message 37: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments page 256
a question
(view spoiler)

message 38: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments I am right at half way (chapter 23). Wow, it has been a busy book. Joeli is a pain. I know they needed an antagonist but I wish she had more of a backstory or reason. (view spoiler)

message 39: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments I'm finished...Gah I LOVED it!!
Plot and character spoilers
(view spoiler)

Really looking forward to the next one.

Nicole P | 1834 comments Elena wrote: "I'm up to chapter 8 and I echo what was said above about new characters, thread work and Abbess Glass :) I'm really enjoying this series - the characters, the complexity of the world, the writing. ..."

I've been thinking along exactly the same lines with regards to Sherzal and her plans.

Elena  | 1403 comments Finished chapter 16 and (view spoiler)

Elena  | 1403 comments Alison wrote: "Just finished chapter 16 and it really was brilliant. I love how creative Nona is and how determined and willin..."

(view spoiler)

Sunny (sunnyisreading) | 340 comments I am finally starting this tonight and I'm so excited for it!

message 44: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments I may have gotten carried away and have finished. I literally couldn't stop reading. Will post thoughts tomorrow but all I can say for now is ... Noooooooo!!! How am I supposed to wait for the next book???

message 45: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments Alison wrote: "I may have gotten carried away and have finished. I literally couldn't stop reading. Will post thoughts tomorrow but all I can say for now is ... Noooooooo!!! How am I supposed to wait for the next..."

i know--APRIL!!! *sobs*

message 46: by Teri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teri | 678 comments Sunny wrote: "I am finally starting this tonight and I'm so excited for it!"

awesome, its really good, better than the first!

message 47: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments I have finished too and agree with most of what Teri wrote. Also, that ending.

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Sunny (last edited Jul 07, 2018 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sunny (sunnyisreading) | 340 comments I am up to chapter 25 and so much is happening! Ugh I can't wait to see what happens next and how everything unravels.

message 49: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments Okay, I've had a day to recover from that ending (I'm still not over it) so thoughts on the story and characters
(view spoiler)

Elena  | 1403 comments Up to chapter 30
(view spoiler)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Red Sister (other topics)
Grey Sister (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mark Lawrence (other topics)