Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > Dead Calm: 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (last edited May 15, 2018 01:26PM) (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Dead Calm (Mattie Winston Mystery, #9) by Annelise Ryan

Dead Calm, Annelise Ryan

★ ★ ★

I liked this, but one part of this was tedious.

Mattie: former RN, divorced from a cheating MD husband, married to Hurley, work for the M.E.'s office, & helps Hurley investigate crimes

Hurley: divorced cop, now married to Mattie, has a teenage daughter, now had 2 yr old son w/ Mattie, & building their dream house.

Together they begin investigating what appears to be an affair gone bad turned homicide/suicide.... Until Mattie the M.E. notices that the suicide allegedly shot himself w/ his right hand, but he was left-handed. She also notices the lack of blood at the crime scene, brain matter yes, blood not enough.

Turns out the couple had been killed earlier and not in the motel where their bodies were found. There are spouses due for insurance settlements, one of whom doesn't need or care about the settlement and an odd familial back story....

In addition, Hurley & Mattie are working on a case of diet pills w/ fatal side-effects and Mattie's long-gone father holds one of the keys. With the big players being a local DA, his father the Judge, & a high ranking politician.... The witness, who is in jail from a frame, won't speak out of fear of retaliation against his family and the other two witnesses are dead, they were shot in cold-blood in front of Mattie & Hurley (in an earlier installment?).

The manner in which Mattie & Hurley tied up this unsolved fatal drug crime, was interesting, but not fully detailed for the reader. It did include Mattie questioning her ex-husband's medical conferences which were paid by the drug company being investigated.

The side plot, which I found tedious, a grossly deformed skeleton is found by the contractors while excavating the land for the foundation of Mattie's & Hurley's new house. A co-worker of Mattie's called newspapers to the scene as he was convinced that the contractors unearthed an alien, which of course caused problems for Mattie until she was able to talk to the family who sold them the land & find out who the skeleton belonged to.

I found the book to be interesting, and happily, the more annoying characters were not overly present...

Family Drama:

Mattie: dealing with a previously absent, now present enigmatic father who is tied to an on-going fatal drug investigation encompassing corruption of a high ranking political family

Mattie: questioning ex-cheating-husband's pregnant new wife in the current investigation, as well as questioning her ex-cheating husband's knowledge and involvement with the drug company's cover-ups

The murder victim's, their alleged relationship, and their relationships w/ their own spouses

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Sounds like an interesting premise but tedious side stories in my thrillers really don't do it for me! Glad you enjoyed it but I think I may look elsewhere for my summer thriller brain candy!

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Nicole R wrote: "Sounds like an interesting premise but tedious side stories in my thrillers really don't do it for me! Glad you enjoyed it but I think I may look elsewhere for my summer thriller brain candy!"

I agree... I'm not sure I'll pick up another of her books... although she does have a series about a female bartender/owner, that I might give a try.