What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA - Girl on an overseas adventure - chased/pursued

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susi (last edited May 15, 2018 01:12PM) (new)

Susi | 2 comments When I was 9 (in 1993) my teacher read us a book that we all LOVED and now I am trying to recall the name of the novel and the author so that I can get a copy for my niece.

This is what I recall: a (teenaged?) girl and her mother are going on an overseas trip somewhere (probably Europe). They meet a nice, charming, helpful man in-transit and he gives them something - possibly a box of chocolates? Then things go awry, her mother ends up out of the picture somehow (possibly hospitalised?) and all sorts of people are chasing the girl who has to use her wits to survive and escape them. At some point she is caught by some people and questioned and she can't help thinking the man questioning her looks like a rooster or a turkey and makes the bird noise back at them. I believe something important was smuggled in what the "nice" guy on the plane(?) gave them.

That's all I can recall in regards to specific details but I do recall it was spunky and funny and thrilling.

I've tried googling what I can recall and have come up with absolutely nothing. Please help! :)

message 2: by Kris (last edited May 16, 2018 03:28PM) (new)

Kris | 36643 comments Mod
Susi, do you remember the cover image?

Are they being chased by spies, government agents or criminals? On they on a train, plane, airport, etc. when the man gives them the box?

Can you tell us more about the family - parents' jobs/skills/interests, siblings, where is father, etc.?

Recall any highlights while they were sightseeing (e.g., castle, cathedral, mountains, modern cities, food, summer/winter, etc.)? Where is home (country, region, big city/small town)?

message 3: by Susi (new)

Susi | 2 comments She's being chased by criminals as far as I can recall, although there must be a reason she cannot just go to the police - although I can't recall what that is. I cannot recall sightseeing specifically but I do think that they were in Western Europe somewhere, probably in a famous city. I feel like home was Australia but it could have been somewhere else and my kid brain just went with what was most familiar to me. My memories are extremely sketchy. I only read the book once and it was actually read to us as a class (my memory of things I read with my own eyes is better) so I only remember very patchy things. What I do recall is that we all absolutely loved that book and hopefully my terrible, sketchy description jogs someone else's memory! Thank you for trying!

Kris wrote: "Susi, do you remember the cover image?

Are they being chased by spies, government agents or criminals? On they on a train, plane, airport, etc. when the man gives them the box?

Can you tell us mo..."

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40728 comments Mod
Susi, are you still looking for this or did you find it?