Reading 1001 discussion

The Glimpses of the Moon
This topic is about The Glimpses of the Moon
1001 book reviews > The Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments 4 stars

Wharton's writing is always exquisite; her words are careful and perfectly placed. Reading Wharton is a lovely, quiet experience. Unfortunately though, I do not think I am her audience. I have never been a fan of romance novels and that is her sweet spot. However, the prose is so good that even I see its charm and its worthiness of a high rating.

Chinook | 282 comments 4 stars

It’s like the House of Mirth but with the character growth that allows for a happy ending. As such, I think I may have enjoyed this one more - the other might be more realistic overall, but this one was sweeter.

Diane  | 2051 comments Rating: 4 Stars

Wharton never disappoints. This is a story about making the decision to marry for love or money/status. Great character development and pacing.

Kristel (kristelh) | 4259 comments Mod
This is a tale of young woman who knows how to hang on to the rich. She meets a man, convinces him that they can marry and live on an extended honeymoon and at the end of the year, they can end their marriage and go their own ways. This works out for awhile but then things don't quite go as planned. It is romance with the marriage disrupted by social pressure and instability. The title is also a metaphor with the moon which opens and ends the story. It is definitely not her best work but she wrote this after the end of WWI as a escape from sadness and so it is a good book to read in the midst of Covid 19 as an escape.

Celia (cinbread19) | 147 comments 3.5 stars

Set in the 1920s, The Glimpses of the Moon details the romantic misadventures of Nick Lansing and Susy Branch, a couple with the right connections but not much in the way of funds. They devise a shrewd bargain: they'll marry and spend a year or so sponging off their wealthy friends, honeymooning in their mansions and villas.

I was not that charmed. Both main characters are dysfunctional and don't know how to communicate.