Play Book Tag discussion

Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4)
This topic is about Drums of Autumn
May 2018: Family Drama > Drums of Autumn (Outlander #4) by Diana Gabaldon - 5* and a Big Fat HEART

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Doughgirl5562 | 816 comments Warning! This review may contain spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the first three Outlander books or seen the first three seasons of Outlander on Starz. (And if you haven't - Why Not?!??!?)

Drums of Autumn is the fourth book in the Outlander series. If you've been watching the TV series on Starz, this is the book that they are filming right now -- and will be shown starting in November.

Jamie Fraser (18th Century Scottish Highlander) and his time travelling wife Claire Randall Fraser have totally been through it and back in the first three Outlander books. In the third book, misadventure brought them and their family across the ocean to the Indies, and end of the third book found them shipwrecked on the Georgia coast in the year 1766.

I love each of the Outlander books (yes, I'm a bit of a superfan), but if pressed I always say that Drums of Autumn is my favorite. That's because the theme of Drums is FAMILY. In this book, Jamie and Claire and their ever growing family make a new life and a new home in the mountains of the American colony of North Carolina. There are multiple additions to the family in Drums - including Jamie's aunt Jocasta, owner of a plantation; Ian's dog Rollo (love Rollo!); Jamie and Claire's daughter Brianna, who travels back in time and will finally get to meet her real father (in what is THE most anticipated scene in the upcoming Season 4 on Starz); and Roger Wakefield Mackenzie, who follows Brianna back in time.

And as with all Outlander books, there is no shortage of drama and family drama, some of which comes with the clash of values and morals between 18th century Jamie and his 20th century raised daughter Brianna. More drama comes from the addition of Indians (no one called them Native Americans at the time) and a new villain - who will definitely keep the Fraser's life interesting.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Awww, this makes me want to read the next installment that I have up: The Fiery Cross (Outlander #5)! But, it is like 1500 pages and I just don't think I am there mentally yet. lol. Maybe in August...

Jgrace | 3112 comments My favorite, too. Or maybe not, I like Fiery Cross, too. It's not that those two books don't have adventure, crisis, and deadly peril, but as you said, FAMILY, and at least some periods of safety and contentment for Claire and Jamie.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6405 comments I just checked for The Fiery Cross through my library catalogue. There is ONE copy of the audio and I"m # 4 on the wait list. (The system says there are two copies, but one is already marked "lost and paid" ... i.e. the person who borrowed it never returned it.) At 46 discs I doubt anyone can finish it in 3 weeks (maximum time you can check out a book ... no renewal if there are holds on it). So some people will keep it and pay the fine. I'm thinking I won't get my hands on it until sometime at the end of summer.

Checked Amazon ... I'm just not ready to spend $48 for it. (Interestingly enough, the "used" copies are more expensive than the new ones.)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments $35 on Audible. Or, if you sign up for monthly credits, it is only one $15 credit! You could then cancel your account....

message 6: by Joanne (last edited May 17, 2018 12:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments Great review! The Outlander books rate up there on my list of all time favorites. I have read them all and am contemplating re-reading them as I wait the next book(no sign of it in the near future...bleah!).

Booknblues | 6883 comments The Fiery Cross is the last one I read...I kinda lost interest.

Doughgirl5562 | 816 comments Jgrace wrote: "My favorite, too. Or maybe not, I like Fiery Cross, too. It's not that those two books don't have adventure, crisis, and deadly peril, but as you said, FAMILY, and at least some periods of safety a..."

So happy to hear that you really like Fiery Cross also! IMO, it gets a bad rap. I'm about read to dive into TFC myself, and I'm planning to make notes as I go along about all of the good parts, so that people realize just how many good parts are in TFC :-)

Doughgirl5562 | 816 comments Joanne wrote: "Great review! The Outlander books rate up there on my list of all time favorites. I have read them all and am contemplating re-reading them as I wait the next book(no sign of it in the near future...."

Thanks! And Yay for re-reading the Outlander series. I've lost track of how many times I have re-read some or all of the books. I think this may be the seventh time that I've read Drums.

The next book - Bees - will be out sometime in 2019. I'll holding a week of vacation to read it.

Doughgirl5562 | 816 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I just checked for The Fiery Cross through my library catalogue. There is ONE copy of the audio and I"m # 4 on the wait list. (The system says there are two copies, but one is already ..."

Yes, I used to get all of my Outlander audios from the library, but recently subscribed to Audible because that really is the best way to get them if you plan to re-listen to them. As Nicole said, it's $15 each month for one credit, and it only takes a credit to get each of the books. Plus you get one or two free credits when you sign up. So you can get the whole series (eight books) plus the two companion books and then the books from the Lord John series :-)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6405 comments Doughgirl and Nicole ... I'm going to pm you guys for help on audible.

I don't have a smart phone ... so I guess I'd be downloading to my computer ... but can I then transfer it to my MP3 player? and If yes ... how does audible know where I am if the MP3 isn't wifi connected?

I am a technology dunce.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Doughgirl and Nicole ... I'm going to pm you guys for help on audible.

I don't have a smart phone ... so I guess I'd be downloading to my computer ... but can I then transfer it to my MP3 player? ..."

Oooo...good question. I would think there would be a way to transfer it. I will definitely help if I can!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Okay, BC. It looks like there are some additional set up steps in order to listen to your audiobooks on an MP3 player but it is doable. And once you set it up, it should go smoothly every time!

It looks like you have to download Audible Manager to your computer (instructions here: https://audible-uk.custhelp.com/app/a...) and then you can download the audiobooks from Audible to your computer and then transfer to your MP3 player (instructions here: https://audible-uk.custhelp.com/app/a...)

These are both from the UK website, but if you are still interested then I can poke around some more on the US website!

Doughgirl5562 | 816 comments Nicole R wrote: "Okay, BC. It looks like there are some additional set up steps in order to listen to your audiobooks on an MP3 player but it is doable. And once you set it up, it should go smoothly every time!

I..."
Thanks Nicole! I had not figured out how to do this yet. I can download Audiobooks on CD to my PC and then transfer those to my MP3 player. For Audible, I have just been listening on my smartphone through the Audible app. But I'll have to give this a try. I must prefer listening to audiobooks on my MP3 player since it's so small and portable.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6405 comments Nicole R ... THANK YOU!

Haven't decided for certain yet about audible, but it's good to know.

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Nicole R wrote: "Awww, this makes me want to read the next installment that I have up: The Fiery Cross (Outlander #5)! But, it is like 1500 pages and I just don't think I am there mentally yet. lol. Ma..."

That's where I am, too, Nicole! Didn't realize it was quite that long. My best bet is to attempt it in July, when I am on holidays!

message 18: by LibraryCin (last edited May 19, 2018 03:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Doughgirl and Nicole ... I'm going to pm you guys for help on audible.

I don't have a smart phone ... so I guess I'd be downloading to my computer ... but can I then transfer it to my MP3 player? ..."

I don't have a subscription, but have occasionally picked up a daily deal. I also don't have a smartphone, but use an mp3 player. Some brands don't work (Sony), but my Sansa works fine.

There is software to download that your book will download to. You can then plug your mp3 player into the computer, then transfer it using the software (similar to what I do with Overdrive audio books, just different software).

Here's the trick, though. I recently tried that with a book from Audible.ca (in Canada, which is fairly new). It won't work with the software. I was told the software is older technology. The audio books at .ca are newer or something and won't work.

So, my "warning" might be to confirm (with Audible help, maybe?) that .com books will still work with the software. It's been a while since I bought my most recent. I assume it will still work with the .com books (at least I hope so!), but you might want to confirm.

ETA: Sorry, I see Nicole already helped you out!

message 19: by Book Concierge (last edited Jun 08, 2018 08:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6405 comments I DID it! Downloaded audible and got Fiery Cross FREE ... then I allowed the audible tech team to take over my computer so they could transfer the download to my MP3 player (I have a SanDisk "audible ready" MP3 player). Good thing I did so, because the first thing he tried would not work, and he had to delete it and start over with a different application. WHEW.

I'm so excited ....

Of course, I have four other Overdrive audiobooks to finish (due back at the library) before I can get to Fiery Cross .... but I'm ready to go!

Oh ... and I have one more free audio to download on audible ... decisions, decisions ... what to use that free credit for ?