Group Reads Discussions 2018 > "Nimona" Full Discussion *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
What a cute little story!

What did you think of it?
How did you like the art?
What about the deeper meaning of the story, did you like how that was handled?

message 2: by aPriL does feral sometimes (last edited May 15, 2018 11:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 519 comments I loved the Art! At first, I did not like Nimona because she seemed bratty, but that did not last long. By the end I was floored by the emotional dimensions. Identity issues, out-of-control rage, feeling like a monster, love/hate parental figures - pure real-life teenage world realities. And some adults, too.

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments I've never been a huge fan of graphic novels, and this definitely didn't convert me. But, it was enjoyable. I really liked how unique the characters were. I enjoyed that the villains weren't really all that bad and the heroes were far less than heroic.

The one thing that drove me nuts was the anachronistic technology. All the rooms were lit with candles, but they had holographic communication. They had old style aesthetic, but with state of the art security systems. I get that it was a stylistic choice, but it felt really strange to me.

message 4: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Completely agree, April! The art was really charming. I loved the blend of high tech and "medieval" magic. I loved the juxtaposition of morals versus order. The only thing I wish we'd had a little more time to dwell on was the fact that Nimona was a killer, straight up. She was both immoral and chaotic, just fiercely loyal. I'd like to have seen her evolve more when she realized one could oppose the status quo AND still strive for justice.

I still found it to be so very sweet how Blackheart looked after her and what a glass cannon she was, even for being nearly invincible. The gentle humor and simple emotion through art and word choice were very moving.

Rachel | 1323 comments I think the magic vs science was clearly a central point of the story so of course it needed to have both elements. I can see how that could be jarring but ai thought it was very effective.

Of course my favorite reads recently are what some call ‘science fantasy’ as I think that’s where the forefront of the genre is right now so....

message 6: by aPriL does feral sometimes (last edited May 15, 2018 11:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 519 comments The mix of clothes and tech was an awesome literary device, once I figured it out. It was a visual way to say, ‘Timeless” “A story for the ages”. etc. The values being ‘discussed’ are Truth throughout all the ages of Mankind.

Kinda smart way to represent a literary element.

message 7: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh that's a great point, April! I read it as what we prioritize -- weapons over comfort, for example --but it does read really well as a way to convey that there isn't a time past, present, or future when we won't have to think about our actions.

Can someone answer this for me? I thought I read that Blackheart said he'd taken his role from the same institution as Goldenloin i.e. they literally selected their bad guy. Did anyone else read this or was it more a metaphorical thing?

Kristin, that's very adventurous of you to try something you knew you didn't like! I often don't do that, and admire people who do :)

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 519 comments I thought the role the two picked was heroic chivalry, an identity of romantic bravery.

message 9: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Another good point, Rachel that "old/tradition" and "new/progress" also seemed to be core considerations of the story!

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments Allison wrote: "Oh that's a great point, April! I read it as what we prioritize -- weapons over comfort, for example --but it does read really well as a way to convey that there isn't a time past, present, or futu..."

aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "The mix of clothes and tech was an awesome literary device, once I figured it out. It was a visual way to say, ‘Timeless” “A story for the ages”. etc. The values being ‘discussed’ are Truth through..."

Rachel wrote: "I think the magic vs science was clearly a central point of the story so of course it needed to have both elements. I can see how that could be jarring but ai thought it was very effective.

Of cou..."

This is precisely why I'm not good with graphic novels. Those are really smart interpretations and make so much sense! I'm terrible are parsing visual things. I need my nuance spelled out in word. I may go back and take another read through now that I have a better insight.

This is why I love book discussions!

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 519 comments Book discussions on GR taught me everything I now know what to look for!

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 519 comments Rachel wrote: "I think the magic vs science was clearly a central point of the story so of course it needed to have both elements. I can see how that could be jarring but ai thought it was very effective.

Of cou..."

Agree!

message 13: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary (plaidchuck) | 55 comments Agreed about Nimona's development as there wasn't much at the end. She just lumped Blackheart in with everyone else. I suppose maybe a theme might be that you just have to accept some people as they are even when you can't change them?

I found Goldenloin's transition to being a true hero pretty satisfying and the same with Blackheart, going from villain to hero.

message 14: by aPriL does feral sometimes (last edited May 15, 2018 12:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 519 comments It seemed Nimona, being a monster and not human, like my old cranky rheumatoid cat at age 16, was more of a metaphor and a lesson about uncontrolled Rage. Moral, we need to learn self-control or the Rage Monster will get loose, and then watch out. Lesson taken.

message 15: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
Allison wrote: "Can someone answer this for me? I thought I read that Blackheart said he'd taken his role from the same institution as Goldenloin i.e. they literally selected their bad guy. Did anyone else read this or was it more a metaphorical thing?"

I thought it was a nod to villains and disability, meaning that once he lost his arm, he could no longer be a hero, since only villains can have disabilities. Unless you mean why they made Goldenloin attack him in the first place, I seem to have forgotten how that discussion went.

message 16: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna wrote: "Allison wrote: "Can someone answer this for me? I thought I read that Blackheart said he'd taken his role from the same institution as Goldenloin i.e. they literally selected their bad guy. Did any..."

Oh, that's another fascinating take, Anna! And good point, that ties in well with the "physical beauty= inner beauty" problem so many of us have.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 519 comments I had forgotten they picked who would be the ‘bad’ guy. Anna, sounds good!

message 18: by Gary (last edited May 15, 2018 01:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary (plaidchuck) | 55 comments Forgot to mention I really enjoyed the art. Its style matched the tone of the book and each of the characters.

Also any thoughts on where Nimona got the powers? I guess in the end she was possessed by the dragon and then experimented on which made things even worse?

message 19: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited May 15, 2018 01:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I love some of the extra stuff in the back so hard, like Nimona as a sheep knitting a scarf from her own wool and Blackheart giving Goldenloin his knight for Christmas.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 519 comments We never knew where she came from, I think, but the experimentation definitely made her angry and much more.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 519 comments Anna wrote: "I love some of the extra stuff in the back so hard, like Nimona as a sheep knitting a scarf from her own wool and Blackheart giving Goldenloin his knight for Christmas."

I thought that was really cool, too.

Bruce (bruce1984) | 386 comments I liked the way the characters were created with some depth:

Nimona= the bratty child who was a shapeshifter who was really a fragile but powerful monster

Blackheart= the villain who was really a superhero but who had been damaged by Goldenloin and the Institution

Goldenloin= the hero who was controlled by the Institution but redeemed himself

Blackheart and Goldenloin are enemies who are brought back together.

It was a fun and charming read with some nice depth to the characters.

Sedat Yıldız | 73 comments Ok here is what I liked and did not.

* Art-style was perfect, I really loved the drawings of Blackheart and Goldenloin and their armors.

* Relationship between Bh and Gl, and Gl's redemption, it was perfect like you guys said. Both of them are used by the Institution. Although it took a long time to Gl to realize, I really liked him thoroughly.

* I loved Bh, nuff said, he was the perfect hero behind the shadows of villain. Kind of like Robin Hood.

Dislikes :

* I wanted more! More explanation, it felt like the ending and backstories were rushed. Do we still know how Nimona first get the powers? I think not. She said she got it from a witch, then didn't remember it?? Then it seemed like she really murdered her families' killers before she is captured and tested in a lab.

* Ending didn't satisfy me, so she visited Bh and then ran away knowing he still loves her. That's it? It was kinda sad that they didn't reunite, I mean he is the only one truly loves her why ran away from him?? I was like "wait what? It ends here???"

message 24: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Re: powers, I thought she was the ancient monster. So the answer is not that a little girl got powers, it's that an ancient evil decided to try life as a little girl.

I'm really hoping that this is just "volume 1" of the story and that we'll eventually get more! I want to see Nimona grow, and how the two lovers reuinte. (The art at the end suggests that they all have Christmas together!) I'd like to see why she picked Blackheart, what Blackheart was like before her, and what the world looks like post-Institution.

Sedat Yıldız | 73 comments Allison wrote: "Re: powers, I thought she was the ancient monster. So the answer is not that a little girl got powers, it's that an ancient evil decided to try life as a little girl.

I'm really hoping that this ..."

Huh... Didn't think of her as an ancient entity, it seems plausible.

Sequel, prequel whatever just give us more! lol

message 26: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

I also think Nimona is the ancient monster the conspiracy theorists think impersonated the lady knight who supposedly killed it. I think she is a very old magical being, possibly something like a dragon, or a cat, something moody and mischievous. She is very old and very young at the same time. She may be ancient in human years, but I think she is just at the beginning or her own lifetime. She's possibly tried to live as part of a family before, like in that village she tells Blackheart of. She's always been betrayed in the end, so it's hard for her to love and trust anyone. Possibly she picks Blackheart hoping he's a true villain, so that she doesn't even have to expect anything good out of that relationship, she's just giving into the villainy. I'm not sure about that. In the end she learns Blackheart is still on her side, but she's too damaged to trust him yet, so she has to take off on her own once again, at least for a little while. Hopefully she eventually finds her way back to Blackheart and they are a true family with Goldenloin, which is something that's strongly implied in the extras and some other stuff online.

message 27: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary (plaidchuck) | 55 comments Was checking out a couple of reviews and info for the book and it appears there aren't any immediate plans for a sequel right now :(

Chris | 1046 comments I agree with Sendat that the story felt rushed and incomplete. It hinted at depth but then ended very quickly. As is, it's a charming fairy tale with some food for thought.

message 29: by Melanie (last edited May 16, 2018 10:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Melanie | 925 comments What did you think of it?
Overall, I enjoyed the plot of this book. It starts off like a classic anti-hero tale then transforms into an exploration of governments, power, and the true nature of evil.

None of the events were particularly surprising or enthralling, but I did enjoy reading it. In fact, Nimona constantly coming back from the "dead" was a bit overdone and quite predictable. The graphic nature made it a fast read as well.

How did you like the art?
I was particularly fond of the artwork. Like others, I appreciate the effective blending of the medieval and technological settings, but the characters were all kind of annoying to look at, especially Nimona.

What about the deeper meaning of the story, did you like how that was handled?
I enjoyed how the "bad guy" has the best sense of what true good is, as well as a recognition that good needs an evil to fight to give it legitimacy. He accepted his role given to him by society but did not let go of his internal obligation to humanity as a whole. He attempted to teach both Nimona and Ambrosius what was good and worth fighting for; however, he allowed himself to be emotionally defeated often. He never expected true victory or that he could keep Nimona alive.

Rachel | 1323 comments RAWR!!!!
I’m a shark!!

message 31: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

heehee!

My spouse read the first chapter or so of this book, and I was laughing at the scene where she gets bored at the fair and falls asleep on his cloak, so I showed it to him.

He chuckled and then sighed and said "Do you...do you happen to feel like you might relate at all to this character?"

I'm sure I don't know what he means. *Steals his desk chair for an ottoman*

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments I took Nimona's ability to check up on Blackheart but not reenter his life as a sign of her development at the end. But I REALLY want a sequel where we learn more about her backstory and see what she makes of herself after the time with Blackheart.

Bobby | 869 comments Like some of the others, I liked it but thought it could have developed things a little further. I didn't ever really understand how she survived the final explosion other than she's just all powerful, which kind of invalidates any suspense I felt in the parts of the story when she was in danger. She just kind of went from having a powerful ability to being immortal without much explanation.

I also wanted more information on what happened before she was experimented on. I think she is the ancient shapeshifter in the legends, but I want to know how she came to be a child in the village. Of course there are also possibly hundreds of years between when she killed the ancient hero to when she was a child in the village, so what happened in between? I didn't even need a lot of info, just a simple one panel explanation would have worked for me.

Despite my nitpicks, the humor and art made it 4 stars for me. When Blackheart thought she was dead, and she pretended to be the director, but then turned into a shark again, I laughed pretty hard. It's simple humor, but along with the visual, it worked really well. I also loved the little things like Nimona constantly bashing down doors.

message 34: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited May 18, 2018 11:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bobby wrote: "I want to know how she came to be a child in the village."

I think she was curious and/or lonely, and saw an opportunity to infiltrate a family.

Cornerofmadness | 55 comments I had a lot of the same issues with the end as many of you did. It felt rushed and left too much open (so maybe down the road there will be more). I actually didn't care all that much for Nimona at the start, too obsessed with killing Blackheart's nemesis. She definitely grew on me as we went but I wanted to know more about her being experimented on.

I really loved Ballister though. He was a richly drawn character and his relationship to Goldenloins (oh lord, that name) was very interesting to me. I enjoyed the twist when it came to what Ballister was trying to do and what the Institute was really like.

I think one of the things that really captured my heart was the holiday panel with Ambrosius being so poorly treated in the orphanage and his naïve beliefs and Ballister's reaction to it. I loved their troubled relationship.

I know this puts me in the minority but I wasn't a fan of the art (of her art in general because I've read more of her work). I don't know why it doesn't work for me but it simply doesn't.

Sabrina | 365 comments What a great and insightful discussion! Thanks to all!

I also thought that Nimona was the ancient monster but like others it would have been nice to know more. Otherwise I was surprised on how much depth and symbolism was added to a comic book and I loved the coupling of magic with science.

Cornerofmadness wrote: "I know this puts me in the minority but I wasn't a fan of the art (of her art in general because I've read more of her work). I don't know why it doesn't work for me but it simply doesn't. t..."

The art did not convince me either, I guess I was just too distracted by Nimona’s tiny all-out-of-proportion feet ;-)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments Y'all are really making me want to read this again.

message 38: by Phil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phil J | 26 comments Allison wrote: "Can someone answer this for me? I thought I read that Blackheart said he'd taken his role from the same institution as Goldenloin i.e. they literally selected their bad guy. Did anyone else read this or was it more a metaphorical thing?"

The Institute chose Blackheart's role in the sense that they refused to employ him after his injury.

message 39: by Phil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phil J | 26 comments Cornerofmadness wrote: "I know this puts me in the minority but I wasn't a fan of the art (of her art in general because I've read more of her work). I don't know why it doesn't work for me but it simply doesn't."

I didn't care for it either. It was cute and I generally don't do cute. The dragon at the end was great, though. I loved the use of flat black coloring to give it a sense of size and mystery.

One of my students says that this is his favorite book of all time. I asked him why it ended the way it does, and he said, "She didn't want to come back. She wanted to move on."

I think a persistent theme in the book is Nimona's desire to be taken as-is without being explained or analyzed. That might be why her backstory was left vague.

Ariana | 657 comments I am late to the discussion, but I think everyone's had some really thoughtful things to say.

I really liked this! I don't read a lot of graphic novels but I usually enjoy then when I do. The art was great, and I loved the humor in parts.

Plot-wise, I thought that Nimona was a human who had been possessed by this ancient power. Somehow this power came to inhabit the sick infant, which healed the infant and endowed get with powers, but didn't exactly replace her. I read the Nimona that we meet as a hybrid (symbiosis?) of these two entities, ancient power and the human girl. This fits better for me with all the clearly teen-age personality traits she has (e.g. the temper tantrum she has when first encountering the scientist's device) than if she was entirely the ancient power in the shape of a teenage girl.

Ariana | 657 comments Phil wrote: " I think a persistent theme in the book is Nimona's desire to be taken as-is without being explained or analyzed. That might be why her backstory was left vague."

I agree. I liked the tension between her feeling like she needed to lie about who she was in order to be accepted, but desperately wanting to open up about who she was.

I also liked your student's take on the ending. Sure, we as readers might have a desire to see her settle down with a parent-figure who loves her, but there's clearly more to her than that, and I think it would have felt a little phony if everything was tied up with a bow on it at the end.

message 42: by Wen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wen | 401 comments How does Goldenloin keep his waist as thin as Empress Elisabeth of Austria (Sissi) - 16 inches... I am so curious:)

message 43: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wen wrote: "How does Goldenloin keep his waist as thin as Empress Elisabeth of Austria (Sissi) - 16 inches... I am so curious:)"

Haha, it must be all that armor he lugs around all day!

message 44: by Wen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wen | 401 comments Anna wrote: "Wen wrote: "How does Goldenloin keep his waist as thin as Empress Elisabeth of Austria (Sissi) - 16 inches... I am so curious:)"

Haha, it must be all that armor he lugs around all day!"

And his adorable hair too! Every time he appears, it’s so sparkle^^ It is supposed to come with Spot light! Rose petals! Music! (ok, please come back to the story…)

message 45: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

No this is totally relevant! I'm pretty sure Goldenloin has his own hair stylist.

message 46: by Wen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wen | 401 comments Anna wrote: "No this is totally relevant! I'm pretty sure Goldenloin has his own hair stylist."

Yes, yes:) I am pretty sure that he has his own team(his own salon too(haha). I think he went so mad is because “How dare you!!! I fell off of my horse! I laid on dusty floor now!!!”

message 47: by Wen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wen | 401 comments I love the Christmas story the most(weeping)! Little Goldenloin is so cute(nice hair style too!) and with the beautiful sock:) Blackheart is so nice and sweet and his own toy, aw>_<

message 48: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jan 04, 2019 09:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I love that too! ^_^ My favorite part is Nimona knitting a scarf out of her owl wool though :D