City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones question

Where do I start?
whoufflestories whoufflestories Jul 29, 2014 10:03AM
Do I start reading with The Infernal Devices or The Mortal Instruments? Or should I read them in the order they were published?

I'm just curious cause I remember reading something that said you won't be able to understand City of Heavenly Fire unless you read The Infernal Devices...? Is that true?

You should read the mortal instruments until City Of Lost Souls, and then read all of the infernal devices. After you are done, then read City Of Heavenly Fire

I personally would read them in the order they were written. There are references back and forth, but it is nothing that will confuse you until City of Heavenly Fire. I also enjoy breaking up a story so I don't feel like I don't want to finish the series. Too many books with one story = a desire to stop reading (for me).

It's best if you start off reading the Infernal Devices first since there is bit more of the world building. Then you can read The Mortal Instruments, and you're right. City of Heavenly does have some reference of The Infernal Devices.

Katie (last edited Aug 04, 2014 03:16PM ) Aug 04, 2014 03:16PM   0 votes
It doesn't really matter what order you read them. You can read City of Heavenly fire before the infernal devices, but its better to read the infernal devices before since there are some references in City of Heavenly fire.
But if you have a hard time reading the mortal instruments just switch to the infernal devices because it helps you understand the Shadowhunter world.

the infernal device because it kind of is the top star