Play Book Tag discussion

Homegoing
This topic is about Homegoing
May 2018: Family Drama > Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi - 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sue | 1404 comments Homegoing follows a family over the course of 300 years.

The chapters alternate between the family that stays in Africa, and the family that ends up in America.

Some utterly heartbreaking scenes. It was a horrifying reminder of just how awful humans have been and can be to each other.

The chapters are told as stories. There is a clear parent/child thread from chapter to chapter, but not everyone gets to know their own parents or children, so some characters just drop out after their own story. I think this was intentional, with the author showing us the effects of multi-generation racism and abuse.

I gave this book 3 stars. I liked it, but it seemed very short on character development for me, and it just didn't rise to 4 stars for me.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I agree that it was a bit short on character development. Just when I got to know a character we moved to the next generation!

I did like the overall premise of the story though and I loved the underlying themes. That is what ultimately bumped it up to 4 stars for me.

Susie | 4488 comments I felt as though some of the stories were five star, and some were three, so I gave it an average of four. If I remember rightly I preferred the first half ad felt as though it dropped off.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments I thought she was quite ambitious to try to cover 300 years of history in just over 300 pages. But I think she did a pretty good job. 4**** from me.