Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2018 > Food & Cookbooks - June 2018

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 6200 comments Mod
The group voted to read the Food & Cookbooks nominee, 5 Ingredients – Quick Easy Food, in June. The winner for this genre was Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes for a Crazy Busy Life. Have you read any of the other nominees for this award? Which have you read and what did you think? Which was your favorite?

Do you plan to read any of them in the future? How about setting up a buddy read of one that you are interested in this month? Use this thread to discuss and find a buddy!

Schedule buddy reads here, then set up a separate thread to discuss.

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 32 comments Only one I'm interested in is Eight Flavors

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris I own the Pioneer Woman Cooks Cookbook - husband bought it for me as a Christmas gift.
As a result of the list I have read:
-Salt Fat Acid Heat
-Smitten Kitchen Everyday
-The Wellness Mama Cookbook
-Whole New You
- Stirring up Fun with Food
Got some good recipes and discovered some new cooking blogs!

message 5: by Ann☕ (last edited May 16, 2018 03:19PM) (new)

Ann☕ (ann_reads) I borrowed the kindle version of Smitten Kitchen Every Day: Triumphant and Unfussy New Favorites through the library. The photos were nice but I didn't end up writing down many of the recipes. It seems my library doesn't have the Jamie Oliver cookbook.

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 32 comments I prefer reading the food history books to cookbooks.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Kirsten wrote: "I prefer reading the food history books to cookbooks."
I actually like food history books that include recipes - I collect early american cooking and regional cooking history books of the midatlantic area as well as Civil War era...its amazing the difference in cooking techniques and the food that was eaten then -- no worry about preservatives and sugars!!

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 32 comments Yes, that does sound good! I think that guy from America's Test Kitchen wrote a book about a famous meal from the 1700s.

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I usually really enjoy the cookbooks. I have a huge collection of them at home, but tend to fall back on old favorites. I think the only one I've read (and own) is Whole New You: How Real Food Transforms Your Life, for a Healthier, More Gorgeous You.

I'd like to read 5 Ingredients – Quick Easy Food, but my library doesn't have it. I'll have to look at it at a book store to see if it's worth getting.

I'd also be interested in looking at Smitten Kitchen Every Day: Triumphant and Unfussy New Favorites and The Wellness Mama Cookbook: 200 Easy-to-Prepare Recipes and Time-Saving Advice for the Busy Cook. I'm all about healthy, quick, and easy recipes right now. I've picked up some healthy cookbooks that would take way too long to prepare and also some quick and easy easy cookbooks that are all processed foods thrown together. Neither is what I'm going for. I'd check out either of these to see if they have something new to try.

message 10: by Chris (last edited May 16, 2018 10:20AM) (new)

Chris Smitten Kitchen was the one where it had more recipes I picked from - liked the photos and the blog that its based on.;
Wellness Mama - well its for families and Moms and children and a lot of the writing I wasn't relating to - although some of the recipes I copied down -- not many were what I was looking for. Her blog is interesting though.
I won't be reading 5 ingredients as none of the 310 libraries in Georgia have it in our system...

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

That's too bad that no libraries seem to carry 5 ingredients. I can't even get it on ILL here.

Maybe I should check out the blogs for those two cookbooks and see what I think. I haven't checked my library system yet to if they're available there. I just thought they looked like something I might be interested in checking out.

I'm accustomed to cooking for adults mostly right now, but will be doing some kid cooking soon so I thought Wellness Mama might be helpful. It's been a long time since I've had to worry about kid tastebuds.

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

So, I just checked and both Smitten Kitchen and Wellness Mama are available in my library system so I put holds on both of them. Wellness Mama just needs to be transferred from another library. Smitten Kitchen is out, but should be available in June.

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 32 comments Kristie wrote: "That's too bad that no libraries seem to carry 5 ingredients. I can't even get it on ILL here.

Maybe I should check out the blogs for those two cookbooks and see what I think. I haven't checked m..."

My library doesn't have it either.... maybe you should try for a used copy. But I wasn't interested in reading it.

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Yeah...I'd rather go to an actual bookstore and take a look through it first to see if it's even something I'd be interested in buying. Then, if it's something I think I'd really want I may look for a used copy. Otherwise, I'll just take a look and leave it there.

message 15: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I love cookbooks as well (have far too many). But, I've started to eat predominantly vegan food a few years ago and so none of these are of interest to me. In general, I prefer more focused cookbooks .. as in a regional cuisine or something like that.

message 16: by Ann☕ (new)

Ann☕ (ann_reads) Janina wrote: "I love cookbooks as well (have far too many). But, I've started to eat predominantly vegan food a few years ago and so none of these are of interest to me. In general, I prefer more focused cookboo..."

Janina, do you have a favorite vegan cookbook?

message 17: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I love The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook: Entertaining for Absolutely Every Occasion and use it a lot (even if the "holiday" doesn't fit).

The Oh she glows books are very good too, but also oftentimes almost too healthy for my palate and around half of the books are not recipes, but pretty pictures and general information. Very good for starting out though!
For more soul/comfort food, Kristy Turner's books have some really delicious recipes (but many are far from healthy and some of the recipes are very basic).

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris Thanks for the suggestion on the vegan books - always on the lookout for some good recipes from that cookbook section especially in the summertime!!

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Thanks for the recommendation, Janina. The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook looks interesting. It's always nice to have some good vegan options to offer people or just have some nice meal options occasionally, even if you aren't vegan.

I just looked into 5 ingredients and I probably won't bother heading out to a bookstore to look at it. The used copies I have found online are still close to $30 (The cheapest I found was $27.77.) and I used the Amazon look inside feature to look at some of his other books (It wasn't available for this one.) and they don't look like something I'd really be interested in. So, if I happen to be in a bookstore I may check it out, but I won't be making a special trip for that purpose.

message 20: by Ann☕ (new)

Ann☕ (ann_reads) Thanks, Janina. I'll make a note of that cookbook.

message 21: by Ann☕ (new)

Ann☕ (ann_reads) Kristie wrote: "The used copies I have found online are still close to $30."...

Ouch! I was thinking of looking for a used copy online but that seems too expensive. It sounds like the bookstore is the best option. : )

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I borrowed The Wellness Mama Cookbook: 200 Easy-to-Prepare Recipes and Time-Saving Advice for the Busy Cook from the library and thought it was really good. I completely get what Chris was saying earlier. I had to skim over the beginning part. In part of it she talks about how family dinners are important and how to deal with picky eaters, etc. It just didn't apply to me. Basically, I thought for someone just starting out with a family and learning about healthy eating it would be useful, but if you already know a lot about healthy eating or don't have a family then it won't apply to you. In my case, it would have been great 20 years ago. lol

Aside from the beginning, I thought the cookbook was really good. It had a lot of tasty looking recipes. Some of them looked like she created them herself and others were more traditional. They all seemed fairly simple to make and the ingredients weren't crazy. I plan to make a few. I think for someone just starting out with a family this would be a good cookbook.

Next up, I have Smitten Kitchen Every Day: Triumphant and Unfussy New Favorites from the library.

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris You will enjoy Smitten Kitchen Every day - some of the recipes were so fun to make and if not healthy at least were good solid recipes to follow with good results with the family!!