The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Memoirs of a Geisha
This topic is about Memoirs of a Geisha
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - June 2018

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5309 comments Our winning group read for June is Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

A literary sensation and runaway bestseller, this brilliant debut novel presents with seamless authenticity and exquisite lyricism the true confessions of one of Japan's most celebrated geisha.

In Memoirs of a Geisha, we enter a world where appearances are paramount; where a girl's virginity is auctioned to the highest bidder; where women are trained to beguile the most powerful men; and where love is scorned as illusion. It is a unique and triumphant work of fiction - at once romantic, erotic, suspenseful - and completely unforgettable.

DrKmW (chouchou24) | 10 comments I read the book 17 years ago and loved it.
I am interested in reading it again to see if my opinion has changed

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (drwood728) | 1 comments I’ve been meaning to read this for what seems like forever. I will see if it’s available for checkout with my libraries!

Sameeksha (sameekshasharan) | 16 comments I read this book long way back and I really liked it... Sure am interested to read it again.

Corina | 1217 comments I've read this book after seeing the film, so it's been a while, but I really enjoyed reading it.

Rachel (stillchasethewind) | 452 comments I loved this book way back when. I think that I am also going to reread it.

message 7: by F (new) - rated it 5 stars

F | 7 comments So excited to be finally reading this :)

Drew Trevaskus | 1 comments Just stayed up till 5am to finish this book; didn't expect to enjoy a book about geisha so much.

Golden really makes you root for Sayuri, even if she can be hypocritical at times. The strength of the secondary characters sweeps this flaw under the rug to make it barely noticeable.

I don't want to say too much! An excellent read, I thought.

message 9: by F (new) - rated it 5 stars

F | 7 comments I am so in love with this book so far!

message 10: by Silvia (last edited Jun 23, 2018 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Silvia Turcios | 395 comments Just as a curious fact, I read Memoir of a Geisha many years ago and really enjoyed it, but I read also a book called Geisha Of Gion: The True Story Of Japan's Foremost Geisha by Mineko Iwasaki , who is in the acknowledgments section of Golden's book and in her book she describes the life of a geisha in a very different way from the one Golden does in his.

message 11: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Lutts (dan_lutts) I "read" Memoir of a Geisha years ago as an audio book and really enjoyed it.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I read this book a long time ago, and I really enjoyed it. I just recently watched the movie, and thought it was beautifully done.