Book Cougars discussion

Episodes > Episode 48 - Jaunt Much? Chris and Emily visit SEVEN bookstores and discuss LOADS of books

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 293 comments Mod
Chris and Emily did a lot of bookstore browsing over the last two weeks and we discuss stacks of books!

message 2: by Barb (new)

Barb (beebeereads) | 28 comments Just finishing Make Trouble: Standing Up, Speaking Out, and Finding the Courage to Lead I was so glad to hear Emily's prediction for Cecile's future ventures. I did not want to see her dive into elective office. She can do so much more good as an activist and organizer. Hope you are right Emily!

message 3: by Foxed (new)

Foxed  Folios (foxedfolios) | 16 comments Just finished the episode - great listening as usual - you guys always brighten my day.

@Emily - I’m also in the middle of reading Overstory by Richard Powers. I’m impressed that, despite only reading a few pages at a time, you sound as though you are able to remember each person from the individual ‘branch stories’ (yes, I did just do that) well enough to track the ‘interleaving’ (🙈) that happens later in the book. Due to reading it in fits and starts, I had to keep flipping back to remind myself who was who! 😄 I ended up making myself a list of one-line bios...a ‘character tree’, if you will (okay, I’m stopping, I swear)!

I’m hoping to finish up this weekend. Enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Have you read Orfeo by same? I received it a VERY long time ago in my Indiespensible sub from Powells but never read it - partly because I’m always afraid of trashing the beautiful Indiespensible hardbacks. And, yes, I’m aware of just how little sense it makes to be afraid to read/open/touch the books in one’s book subscription! 😂

Looking forward to hearing your final thoughts.

Best wishes to you both - AP

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 293 comments Mod
Barb wrote: "Just finishing Make Trouble: Standing Up, Speaking Out, and Finding the Courage to Lead I was so glad to hear Emily's prediction for Cecile's future ventures. I did not want to see ..."

Hi Barb - Thanks for dropping by. I recently read an interview with Cecile and she is interested in working on some "get out the vote" initiatives. It will be fun to see where she ends up. I have to admit that the mom in me hopes she takes a little breather after her book tour before jumping full force ahead into something new.

Thanks for listening, and happy reading!

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 293 comments Mod
FoxedFolios wrote: "Just finished the episode - great listening as usual - you guys always brighten my day.

@Emily - I’m also in the middle of reading Overstory by Richard Powers. I’m impressed that, despite only rea..."

Hi AP - Fantastic play on words! I absolutely loved the book. Truthfully, I always struggle keeping up with the characters. As I've mentioned on the podcast, I am terrible with names and the same holds true for characters in books! I didn't take the time to map things out - smart move - I just decided that I would get the general overstory of the book ;)
Powers is such a wonderful writer. I did not read Orfeo because it got mixed reviews and I loved Echo Maker so much I was afraid to read a so so book by him. Weird but true. We all have our "things" when it comes to reading. I know someone that buys two copies of books: one to read and one to sit pretty and untouched on their library shelf.

Thanks for stopping by our GR page. Happy reading!