Play Book Tag discussion

Salvage the Bones
This topic is about Salvage the Bones
May 2018: Family Drama > Salvage the Bones - Jesmyn Ward - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments I love Jesmyn Ward's writing, I really do. I absolutely adored Sing, Unburied, Sing. I think it will be my book of the year. I was really excited to read some of her other work, and despite noting that again her writing is very special, I just didn't engage with Salvage the Bones. There were some flashes that I enjoyed, but for the most part I didn't click with the subject matter and so I felt let down.

One of the flashes of brilliance -

I will tie the glass and stone with string, hang the shards above my bed, so that they will flash in the dark and tell the story of Katrina, the mother that swept into the Gulf and slaughtered. Her chariot was a storm so great and black the Greeks would say it was harnessed to dragons. She was the murderous mother who cut us to the bone but left us alive, left us naked and bewildered as wrinkled newborn babies, as blind puppies, as sun-starved newly hatched baby snakes. She left us a dark Gulf and salt-burned land. She left us to learn to crawl. She left us to salvage. Katrina is the mother we will remember until the next mother with large, mercilass hands, committed to blood, comes.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments I was also left feeling somewhat "meh" about this book. I thought the references to Greek mythology detracted from the plot. Still, while those passages did not serve the story well, I did appreciate the poetic writing.

My Review HERE

Susie | 4488 comments It seems like Anita, you & I are in agreement BC.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 9390 comments Add me. It was a tough read.

Anita Pomerantz | 6758 comments Susie wrote: "It seems like Anita, you & I are in agreement BC."

Yes, I think I liked it more than you and BC did, but emotionally, it didn't do much for me . . .I really was mostly rating it for the use of the language, which I did really enjoy.