Urban Fantasy Group Danbury CT discussion

Magic Breaks Discussion SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments I've been waiting awhile to finally be able to discuss this book with my friends. Here is our space, spoilers likely. You've been warned!

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 65 comments I need a couple days, but can't wait!

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments Michelle wrote: "I need a couple days, but can't wait!"

I'm standing by!

message 4: by NList (new)

NList | 22 comments I started this last night!

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 65 comments I started this morning. Darn kids, getting in the way of my just sitting around and reading all day!

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments Michelle wrote: "I started this morning. Darn kids, getting in the way of my just sitting around and reading all day!"

Pizza for dinner? ;)

message 7: by NList (last edited Aug 04, 2014 11:20PM) (new)

NList | 22 comments I have a question. I am re-reading the series right now and I came across a description of Ascanio. Kate describes his beast form as having brown fur and finds this interesting because she has seen this before. Now, Aunt B had reddish fur...but I cannot for the life of me figure out who Kate is saying Ascanio "resembles". Does anyone else know to whom she is referring?

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments Kate came into contact with a lot of boudas in Magic Burns. At least one died in that book. I can't say for sure which one she is referring to without backtracking.

message 9: by NList (new)

NList | 22 comments Ha! I back tracked through Magic Burns with the Kindle App. It was Andrea. She has short brown fur. Thanks!

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 65 comments Done. Okay, first I will start with the whining. I really did not like the whole first half of the book, because Curran was not in it. And, of course, I did not for a second buy the "he may be dead crap", because he would never die off page. I can understand the this is Kate's series, and she needs to be able to handle things on her own, but I still didn't like it!

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments I did like that it meant we got to have Robert. If Curran had been there, we wouldn't have had the merry chase through the city, and I would have missed R's awesomeness. :)

With the end of this one, though, that means Curran will have a lot more time to focus on Kate. If she thought she had her own personal psycho before... ;)

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 65 comments Kathy (Kindle-aholic) wrote: "I did like that it meant we got to have Robert. If Curran had been there, we wouldn't have had the merry chase through the city, and I would have missed R's awesomeness. :)
With the end of this on..."

That's funny, cuz Robert didn't do much for me. And the fact that he kept saying that if Curran didn't come back he wasn't sure the Pack would have confidence in Kate, really pissed me off (especially with what Kate did for him in the end!)

But I did really like it when Curran came roaring in, then Hugh teleported Kate and Ghastek out. I loved hearing Ghastek's backstory and where his name came from, haha. I loved the rescue.

However, I got a little freaked out by the Hugh and Curran fight, until Kate commented that Curran knew how to fight better than that, and then I figured out what he was up to.

But the best part of the whole tale for me, was when Kate figured out that Voron had essentially played her, and that she needed to confront Roland the way that she wanted to, not the way Voron wanted her to. I loved that she understood herself.

And I got a big kick out of her claiming Atlanta!

message 13: by NList (new)

NList | 22 comments I did things a little backward, but that isn't unusual for me. I read Magic Breaks and then went back and re-read the whole series again. I liked Magic Breaks better than I liked Magic Rises. I felt like the separation of Curran and Kate in the last book was contrived for maximum impact. However, looking back, I think that the separation in Magic Rises was good for Kate...it helped her grow up in the long run.

Now, onto Magic Breaks! I also missed Curran in the first half of the book. But...his absence showed Kate that she could manage the pack and I thought she did it well. I think it gave her confidence.

I also enjoyed learning more about Ghastek. His backstory made him more human to me...and it was very amusing to knock his arrogance down a few notches. I am wondering if Hugh's actions in this book will nudge Ghastek more into Kate's direction versus Rolands.

I have many lingering questions though. How old is Hugh? How old was Voron? Did Hugh and Voron come around after the Shift? I can't remember if this was specifically addressed. (Even though I just finished the entire series. Again.)

Did Kate make Ghastek immortal? Near the end of the book he asks her if she had the "Gift" and she promptly says something along the lines of, "You're alive aren't you?".

It was also hinted that Hugh and Roland had a falling out. I wonder if it was over Kate? I know that Hugh wants Kate as a parter, willing or not. Is it to rebel against Roland?

I loved when Kate describes her Father as evil, but conflicted about it. It makes me wonder if Roland wants better for Kate than his previous children, but knows either way, she is gonna end him when she becomes strong enough. Kate may not be strong enough on her own, but with Curran, maybe there is hope. Their mingled magics stopped the spear from claiming Atlanta.

I would also have liked to see more of Derek. I really like his character. I have never been fond of Julie...so I didn't really miss her.

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments Michelle wrote: "Kathy (Kindle-aholic) wrote: "I did like that it meant we got to have Robert. If Curran had been there, we wouldn't have had the merry chase through the city, and I would have missed R's awesomenes..."

I liked Robert's candor and does underscore a continuing issue with the Pack, that now isn't an issue. ;) EVen though he wasn't convinced that Kate would be a good solo leader for the Pack (something I actually agree with), he still had her back. And he sent her chocolate when Curran was in a coma, so I'm still OK. He was harsh though, and I am so glad that Kate didn't let Ascanio die.

WHen Curran finally showed up just before Kate & Ghastek teleported, it was a BOOYAH moment.

One of my fav parts was Ghastek's backstory. I am really looking forward to how Ghastek treats Kate from here out.

The full circle with Kate realizing she did not have to be the person Voron tired to force her to be, that was gold.

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments NList wrote: "I did things a little backward, but that isn't unusual for me. I read Magic Breaks and then went back and re-read the whole series again. I liked Magic Breaks better than I liked Magic Rises. I fel..."

Ghastek's boss would love to see HUgh dead, so I think it's safe to say that Ghastek is not on H's side. THere's also the matter of almost killing him in the oubliette. Ghastek holds grudges.

That's a good question about Hugh's age. 15 years older at least? Considering Voron had to train him and he left when Kate was a baby.

I think Voron was attached to Roland soon after R woke up, but can't say for sure.

I don't think Kate made him immortal, but she did keep him alive. I wonder if the immortal thing is similar to what Kate did to Julie. I don't think Kate would do that for GHastek.

Oh yeah, Hugh & ROland had a falling out over Kate. I absolutely think Hugh thought he could break her, maybe have a little Stockholm syndrome going on. R wanted to meet & test his progeny, not get her killed before he had his entertainment.

I am so looking forward to what happens next with this family dynamic!

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cummings (michellecu) | 65 comments And I was glad that they are no longer running the pack. A bunch of ungrateful whiny babies (imo!)

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) | 96 comments Michelle wrote: "And I was glad that they are no longer running the pack. A bunch of ungrateful whiny babies (imo!)"

I couldn't agree more. They were so miserable being in charge. I'm so looking forward to Kate's exasperation now that Curran is unemployed. She is going to have to create the world's hugest "Honey-do" list. :D

message 18: by NList (new)

NList | 22 comments I hope that we will keep seeing Barabas. I would miss him!

If Kate keeps collecting all of her misfits, she and Curran are going to have a brand new "pack" of their own.