Play Book Tag discussion

Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic
This topic is about Fun Home
May 2018: Family Drama > Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments I haven't read many graphic novels, but this one made me want to try more. I really enjoyed this 'Tragicomic' detailing Allison Bechdel's early life living with a compicated and at times destructive father. It oscillates between dark humour and heartbreak, and covers themes of sexuality, family dysfunction, forgiveness, and literature. The illustrations perfectly matched the style of storytelling and I was enthralled and read it in one sitting. It lost a star for me and it has quite a lot of detail reagarding The Odyssey and Ulysses, neither of which I have read, and so I felt a bit detached from those sections of the comic. Overall though I really enjoyed the experience and highly recommend it.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I almost hate to say this but I've never read a graphic novel! All four of my kids love them so you would think I would have tried one by now.:) Great review!

Susie | 4488 comments Rachel wrote: "I almost hate to say this but I've never read a graphic novel! All four of my kids love them so you would think I would have tried one by now.:) Great review!"

I hadn't until recently either Rachel! This one makes me want to try some more.

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I loved this. Also made me want to do more graphic novels.

If you are interested in musicals, you should definitely check out the musical that is based off of this/Alison Bechdel's life.

Susie | 4488 comments I’d love to see it Joi! Thanks!