Banned Books discussion

GENERAL BOOK DISCUSSIONS > What lovely prose!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 5 comments I can't believe that I'm the first to write anything about this month's book ... so if this is in the wrong place, I apologize.

I first read this book when I was a teenager -- about 50 years ago -- right after I got an ADULT library card. It was on a list of books that was banned by the Catholic church for lewd and obscene sexual activity. So, of course I had to read it.

I made it through half the book before giving up. I found it boring. I wasn't sure that there was any sex at all.

So, I am reading it now with fresh eyes ... or ears (it's an audiobook).

It's lovely.

The prose is well-written, with a relatively high level of complexity in syntax and vocabulary. The sex is not overly explicit (I'm barely over half-way through, and just heard the word,'erection,' for the first time.) By 21st century standards, the language is not offensive.

The activity is another thing ... but I will wait to discuss the story to avoid spoiling it for other readers/

message 2: by Kelly H. (Maybedog), Big Kahuna, Ministry of Illicit Reading (new)

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 623 comments Mod
Hi Barbara, somehow I missed all the posts in this section of the group. I'm so sorry. The discussions for the books are all in the "Banned Book Group Reads" on the main page. I'd link you to the direct discussion but I don't know which book you're talking about. Thank you for participating!

message 3: by David (last edited Jan 21, 2015 09:55AM) (new)

David | 9 comments I just finished Wayne Rebhorn's new translation of The Decameron. The author has a nice discussion regarding what is appropriate or not to write (i.e. publish) in his Conclusion. And by implication, this is a discussion about whether book banning is appropriate. I read it to say that one should write what one wants, and hence one should read what one wants.