Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
This topic is about The Cruel Prince
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Black, Holly--The Cruel Prince informal buddy read starts June 10, 2018

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Cruel Prince by Holly Black.

Synopsis
Of course I want to be like them. They’re beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.

And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.

Jude was seven when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him–and face the consequences.

As Jude becomes more deeply embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, she discovers her own capacity for trickery and bloodshed. But as betrayal threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Looking forward to this one!

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments Me too! I've seen so much hype about it, I'm excited to see if it will live up to it :D

JanEyre9 Looking forward to this! I'm on Team Minerva McGonagall - any other Tower Team readers?

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments Team Remus Lupin here! Go Go Gryffindor!

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Team Draco Malfoy - Go Slytherin!

message 9: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1702 comments I'm in from Team Hermione Granger

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments Starting this one today, looking forward to it!

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments Okay so I've heard that Holly Black is the Queen of Faeries because of her talent for bringing the Fae world alive. Now I can see why! The worldbuilding is wonderful! I feel completely immersed!

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments The Coronation

MAJOR SPOILERS

(view spoiler)

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments Sophie

(view spoiler)

megan | 1395 comments I really really want to get to this. Real life is killing my reading.

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments I am joining in from team Filius Flitwick ! I am starting the book tonight :)

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments Ok so I'm on chapter 12 right now, here's my thoughts

(view spoiler)

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments Megan wrote: "Okay so I've heard that Holly Black is the Queen of Faeries because of her talent for bringing the Fae world alive. Now I can see why! The worldbuilding is wonderful! I feel completely immersed!"

I agree! At first I was a little overwhelmed with all the details and build up, but I am starting to see it take form !

Caroline (carolinet12) | 249 comments Finished the book !!!! :) It really was going so fast at the end, I wish she spent more time on this plot instead of going all out with the details in the beginning!

(view spoiler)

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments Yeah there's quite a bit of a build up but then towards the end it's like OMGEVERYTHINGISHAPPENING haha. I want the next book now!!

JanEyre9 megan wrote: "I really really want to get to this. Real life is killing my reading."

megan, do you still plan on reading? I haven't started yet either.

message 21: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments Anyone still around for this one?

message 22: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments I started this evening. The dynamics between the sisters is interesting as they all seem to want something very different. It will be interesting to see it plays out. Also, my version has mushrooms at the chapter headings and that alone makes me happy.

JanEyre9 Lexi wrote: "I started this evening. The dynamics between the sisters is interesting as they all seem to want something very different. It will be interesting to see it plays out. Also, my version has mushrooms..."

Haha, I love the image of mushrooms by the chapter headings!

I just downloaded the audio and will start tomorrow!

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments Yes! The chapter headings are beautiful! So whimsical <3

message 25: by JanEyre9 (last edited Jul 25, 2018 07:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

JanEyre9 Sigh, I love faerie worlds. I never get tired of new ones :)

updated - er, i do get tired of (view spoiler)

JanEyre9 Lexi wrote: "I started this evening. The dynamics between the sisters is interesting as they all seem to want something very different. It will be interesting to see it plays out. Also, my version has mushrooms..."

What chapter are you up to Lexi?

JanEyre9 The apple scene, chapter 11 - (view spoiler)

message 28: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "The apple scene, chapter 11 - [spoilers removed]"

I just finished the same chapter so I am in the exact same place as you. I agree but am also worried (view spoiler)

JanEyre9 Lexi - Agreed!!

JanEyre9 Chapter 14, Taryn (view spoiler)

message 31: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments I stayed up too late and finished last night. (view spoiler)

JanEyre9 That must mean it was good (haven't read your spoiler). I'm going to listen to a few more hours today then finish tomorrow. I really like Jude's spirit.

message 33: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments She's a lot of fun. I stayed up until 2 which is less than optimal on a weekday.

message 34: by JanEyre9 (last edited Jul 26, 2018 08:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

JanEyre9 So one thing doesn't really flow for me. If the fairy folk think humans are lesser beings (view spoiler)

Also I totally don't trust (view spoiler)

JanEyre9 Megan wrote: "Sophie

[spoilers removed]"

Heartbreaking!

message 36: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "So one thing doesn't really flow for me. If the fairy folk think humans are lesser beings [spoilers removed]

Also I totally don't trust "

(view spoiler)

JanEyre9 Megan wrote: "The Coronation

MAJOR SPOILERS

[spoilers removed]"

Hoooooooly crow!!!

Megan (meganraex) | 1012 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "Megan wrote: "The Coronation

MAJOR SPOILERS

[spoilers removed]"

Hoooooooly crow!!!"

Haha I was just waiting for you to get to that bit!! Totally brutal!

message 39: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments Megan wrote: "JanEyre9 wrote: "Megan wrote: "The Coronation

MAJOR SPOILERS

[spoilers removed]"

Hoooooooly crow!!!"

Haha I was just waiting for you to get to that bit!! Totally brutal!"

That is where I decided not to go to bed and just finish the book.

JanEyre9 I have chills!! This is a bad audio book to listen to during work, I'm way too absorbed!

JanEyre9 Chapter 23 (view spoiler)

JanEyre9 Epilogue - (view spoiler)

JanEyre9 This book was awesome (view spoiler)

message 44: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3111 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "This book was awesome "

Glad you enjoyed it. I want to read more too. Have you read Tithe or The Darkest Part of the Forest?