Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

God-Shaped Hole
This topic is about God-Shaped Hole
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > DeBartolo, Tiffanie--God Shaped Hole; informal buddy read starts May 28,2018

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31616 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss God-Shaped Hole by Tiffanie DeBartolo.

Synopsis
"An edgy story of love and fate..." -- Library Journal

"With wit and humor, the author brings these characters and their quirky, artsy friends alive. Bottom Line: You'll dig it" -- People

If your intentions are pure
I am seeking a friend
For the end of the world

When Beatrice Jordan meets the unpredictable Jacob Grace, the two wild souls become instant allies. Together they discover an escape in each other's creativity and insecurities, while running from secrets they cannot seem to shake - or a fate that could throw them to the ground...

This 15th Anniversary reissue of Tiffanie DeBartolo's classic love story introduces a new audience of dreamers to a quintessentially real and raw vision of spirit, and inspires everyone to live -- and love -- as vividly as possible.

"This generation's Love Story." -- Kirkus

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 14, 2018 06:21PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments I've heard a lot of good things about this book, so hopefully it meets or exceeds my expectations. Can't wait to see how good it is!

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments I'll be joining in from Team Tom Riddle! Sounds really good!!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Yay! So glad you’re joining us, Michelle!

SandyL | 4453 comments I'm joining from Team Newt Scamander

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments Chapters 1 - 5:

(view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Glad to have you, Sandy.

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments Chapters 6 - 15:

I got caught up in listening to the book and forgot to stop after 5 chapters so I went for 10 instead.

(view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Lol I get it! I’m bummed because I can’t read your spoilers. I just finished chapter 4 and it’s a fast read! But we’re heading out to Yellowstone again to see more wildlife and scenery, so not sure when I’ll read more or post. When we’re in Yellowstone my husband likes listening to the Gypsy app because it gives us a lot of information. So we’ll see. I definitely will post something later today.

I am enjoying it so far except personally, (view spoiler)

I love that it takes place in & around where I grew up: Pasadena, Santa Monica, California in general. :)

Are you enjoying it, Michelle?

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments I am enjoying it! A lot!

I'm having a hard time not reading ahead some more, but I'm going to try to wait until later today so I won't be so far ahead. :)

SandyL | 4453 comments I've read through Ch 4, and I'm finding these characters a bit strange. It's nice that Beatrice (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments I am in Yellowstone by Old Faithful and just happened to get Internet so going to try to post something quickly.

Chapters 5-15

Mainly I want to say that (view spoiler)

Also I think Beatrice was (view spoiler)

Oh, and I feel really bad for (view spoiler)

Now I’m hoping this will post!

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments Vicki wrote: "I am in Yellowstone by Old Faithful and just happened to get Internet so going to try to post something quickly.

Chapters 5-15

Mainly I want to say that [spoilers removed]

Also I think Beatrice..."

I was a little put off (view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I'm joining in from Team Severus Snape!

I did read this a couple years ago and LOVED it so hoping I love it just as much this time around!

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments Chapters 16 - 25:

My biggest takeaway from these chapters is - (view spoiler)

Also, I'm loving all the song and band references!

SandyL | 4453 comments I'm up to chapter 22 and it's so sad that Beatrice (view spoiler)

As for Beatrice's anger (view spoiler)

message 19: by Cathy M. (last edited May 30, 2018 04:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments SandyL wrote: "I'm up to chapter 22 and it's so sad that Beatrice [spoilers removed]

As for Beatrice's anger [spoilers removed]"

That happened end of Chpt 12 - right where I happen to be :) (view spoiler)

After reading that Foreword totally want to listen to that Jeff Buckley album now...

message 20: by Cathy M. (last edited May 31, 2018 12:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Vicki wrote: "Lol I get it! I’m bummed because I can’t read your spoilers. I just finished chapter 4 and it’s a fast read! But we’re heading out to Yellowstone again to see more wildlife and scenery, so not sure..."

I love Yellowstone, it's so beautiful there. Hope you are enjoying your trip!

Re the sex scenes, not sure if you have the newer edition with the foreword but TD starts by saying that there are 3 "memorable" sex scenes so it's not too much!

I actually live in LA so when she refers to the 405 as being hell, and the traffic and the people, I so get it :)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments SandyL wrote: "I've read through Ch 4, and I'm finding these characters a bit strange. It's nice that Beatrice [spoilers removed]"

Hope your opinion has changed since reading more!

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Vicki wrote: "I am in Yellowstone by Old Faithful and just happened to get Internet so going to try to post something quickly.

Chapters 5-15

Mainly I want to say that [spoilers removed]

Also I think Beatrice..."

Have to agree with you & Michelle on that 1st one - not sexy at all!

About Beatrice - (view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments ~Michelle~ wrote: "Chapters 16 - 25:

My biggest takeaway from these chapters is - [spoilers removed]

Also, I'm loving all the song and band references!"

I think (view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Could NOT put this down so read thru Chpt 30 -

Beatrice (view spoiler)

Jacob (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments I can’t wait to get back home and read all the spoilers!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Oh btw the 405, the 10...ugh!!!! And the LA drivers!!!

And if you’ve lived in LA, who hasn’t been to Topanga Canyon and the Santa Monica Mountains?

Burbank is where my son and his wife and their six children live.

I love all the references to places I’ve been to and know well

SandyL | 4453 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Lol I get it! I’m bummed because I can’t read your spoilers. I just finished chapter 4 and it’s a fast read! But we’re heading out to Yellowstone again to see more wildlife and scener..."

I also had to laugh at the references to the 405! And this was written back in 2002!!!!

SandyL | 4453 comments Cathy M. wrote: "SandyL wrote: "I've read through Ch 4, and I'm finding these characters a bit strange. It's nice that Beatrice [spoilers removed]"

Hope your opinion has changed since reading more!"

No, I'm finding this book very depressing and I don't like the characters much - not that I dislike them, I just can't relate to them at all. Jacob sounds like such a slob.

I'm up to chapter 45 and (view spoiler)

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments Chapters 26 - 40:

After living most of her life worried about what a fortune teller told her, (view spoiler)

So Jacob's father (view spoiler)

And what was up with (view spoiler)

Trixie and Jacob's relationship (view spoiler)

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments All done.

Chapters 41 - 57:

They finally (view spoiler)

Little did I know that Jacob (view spoiler)

I'm so glad I read this book and I will absolutely check out other books by this author!

SandyL | 4453 comments ~Michelle~ wrote: "All done.

Chapters 41 - 57:

They finally [spoilers removed]

Little did I know that Jacob [spoilers removed]

I'm so glad I read this book and I will absolutely check out other books by this aut..."

I'm done as well. I figured something was coming (view spoiler)

My impression of Beatrice improved (view spoiler)

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments SandyL wrote: "~Michelle~ wrote: "All done.

Chapters 41 - 57:

I'm so glad I read this book and I will absolutely check out othe..."

I meant to mention that I thought the book ended (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Michelle, I think she’s only written 2. If that’s accurate, her other book is How to Kill a Rock Star.

I’m so glad you liked this one! I’m only still about halfway finished because I didn’t really have reading time last night. I hate not being able to read all the spoilers! I’m at the airport and have to wait over 3 more hours before boarding. So guess what I’m going to do? Lol I’m going to finish Nevermoor and then this one because Nevermoor is for a challenge & this one is just a buddy read.

So glad everyone likes it! :)

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments Vicki wrote: "Michelle, I think she’s only written 2. If that’s accurate, her other book is How to Kill a Rock Star.

I’m so glad you liked this one! I’m only still about halfway finished because I didn’t really..."

Have you read How to Kill a Rock Star?

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Yes, I just finished it a few days ago. Thought it would be a 4-Star for me but ended up giving it a 3. I liked it but wasn’t wowed by it.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Finished it last night.

(view spoiler)

I may have loved it slightly less (I think due to the audio) but I'm keeping my 5-star rating because I know this is a book I'll be able to read again and again and still get emotional over.

*sigh* I did love Jacob. They were not perfect and flawed but thru it all, they were endearing and charming in their own ways. I'm a little sad that it's over...

But I did not realize she had a cameo in HtKaRS! I read that years ago, before this one, so might need to re-read that one too now that I know/love Trixie.

message 37: by Cathy M. (last edited Jun 01, 2018 11:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Yep she only has 2 published books so far but looks like a new one is in the works!!

I liked How to Kill a Rock-star (4-star) but loved this one more. I think Trixie & Jacob were less annoying than Eliza & Paul but that's just me! Paul is certainly unforgettable but Eliza was really frustrating at times! But most people seem to like that one more than this one.

message 38: by Cathy M. (last edited Jun 01, 2018 11:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments ~Michelle~ wrote: "SandyL wrote: "~Michelle~ wrote: "All done.

Chapters 41 - 57:

I'm so glad I read this book and I will absolutely..."

I really wanted more too but (view spoiler)

Michelle's Empty Nest (mlundy5) | 918 comments Cathy M. wrote: "~Michelle~ wrote: "SandyL wrote: "~Michelle~ wrote: "All done.

Chapters 41 - 57:

I'm so glad I read this book an..."

That's a good way to look at it! :)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Just FINISHED but I don't have time to post comments or read spoilers. Tonight I hope if when I arrive in Klamath Falls the internet works! LOL

I loved it!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

God-Shaped Hole (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tiffanie DeBartolo (other topics)