Obsessed with True Crime discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.A. (last edited May 14, 2018 05:43PM) (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1282 comments Just watched 'Evil Genius' on Netflix, the docuseries about Marjorie Diehl-Armstrong, who was involved in a bank robber/murder conspiracy in which a (probably unwitting) individual was blown up in public with a bomb locked around his neck with a giant handcuff (neckcuff).

Well done, and once again, a not-sympathetic main female character (seems to be a theme of mine lately). The difference was striking when comparing Diehl to the crack whore who recommended Brian Wells for the job (Hoopsick); Hoopsick was believably remorseful and actually expressed human emotions. Marjorie - not so much. She just talked, non-stop. Apparently the only way to get a word in edgewise was to interrupt her loudly and shout your question at her.

She maintained her innocence in most (but not all) of the parts of the crime(s) until her death, but she's obviously (to me) guilty of all of it.

message 2: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3435 comments Mod
K.A. wrote: "Just watched 'Evil Genius' on Netflix, the docuseries about Marjorie Diehl-Armstrong, who was involved in a bank robber/murder conspiracy in which a (probably unwitting) individual was blown up in ..."

Saw that last night while I was browsing Netflix, as in saw the title didn't watch it, instead I started watching some dystopian series about killer rain set in Denmark. The Rain very similar to this book, which I have not read.

message 3: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1282 comments Funny, I saw The Rain and didn't watch it!

message 4: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

K.A. wrote: "Funny, I saw The Rain and didn't watch it!"

It's slightly ridiculous and fairly predictable, but I always get sucked into these shows and end up binge watching them.

message 5: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14061 comments So how does the rain kill you? Is it like in THE DEVIL'S RAIN that makes you melt, or does it sizzle you to death, or does it get in your eyes and make you act like one of the Infected in 28 DAYS LATER?

message 6: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1282 comments All I know right now is that it's 'infectious'.

message 7: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Fishface wrote: "So how does the rain kill you? Is it like in THE DEVIL'S RAIN that makes you melt, or does it sizzle you to death, or does it get in your eyes and make you act like one of the Infected in 28 DAYS L..."

In the series I watched there is a virus in the rain. I won't tell you how it happens because < spoiler >

message 8: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1282 comments I had to quit watching it. I'm picky about my dystopias.

message 9: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 14061 comments And it didn't meet your exacting standards? What do you require in an end of the world scenario?

message 10: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Finally got back to Evil Genius. Wow, what a piece of work.

message 11: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (savannahjan) | 62 comments I definitely enjoyed Evil Genius, but I think it could have been so much better. It could have been longer, and really looked at Diehl and her insane past. I mean, two men in her past ended up dead!

We also still don’t know who masterminded the heist. We don’t know who built the bomb. And if it /was/ Bill, how did he get that knowledge?

I enjoyed it, but it just left me with sooooooo many questions that would have made it even more interesting.

message 12: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 2 comments I really enjoyed Evil Genius.

Netflix need to do more crime documentaries. They are always so well done

message 13: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1282 comments Good points, Kristin! There was some first-level scheming and misdirection that went unexplained.

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 178 comments I’m going to be watching that documentary on Netflix