What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Playing Beatie Bow
This topic is about Playing Beatie Bow
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Time travel - Girl travels back to pioneer time, is there for about a year, when she returns she meets the descendant of the boy she knew in the other time. [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Megan (meganlikeschips) | 4 comments I likely read this book in the late 80s. It involved a teen girl who travels back in time to pioneer days. She is in the pioneer time for about a year, and is suddenly transported back to modern time. I remember distinctly that she had to cut off her long ponytail or braid quickly when she returned, because she knew people wouldn't understand why her hair had grown so long (no time had passed in the modern day). She meets a boy/man and instantly feels a connection to him, and I think they realise that he is a descendant of someone she knew back in the pioneer time. This book was published in English and I believe was set in the USA.

Aspiring Scribbler | 67 comments This story sounds very much like Playing Beatie Bow.

The only problem I can see is that Beatie Bow is set in Sydney, Australia. The date and the plot match pretty closely though...

message 3: by Holly (last edited May 30, 2018 09:51PM) (new) - added it

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Still looking, Megan?

message 5: by Megan (last edited Aug 25, 2020 01:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan (meganlikeschips) | 4 comments YES, still looking!

Definitely not the Root Cellar.

message 6: by Genesistrine (new)

Genesistrine | 401 comments I'm going to say it's Playing Beatie Bow too. That definitely has the bit with Abigail hurriedly cutting her hair when she gets back, and the immediate connection when she meets a descendant of the family she lived with in the past.

Megan (meganlikeschips) | 4 comments Genesistrine wrote: "I'm going to say it's Playing Beatie Bow too. That definitely has the bit with Abigail hurriedly cutting her hair when she gets back, and the immediate connection when she meets a descendant of the..."

Thanks Genesistrine and Aspiring. I can't find this book at my library or at my local bookstore so I've taken a chance and am getting it shipped from the UK. Should arrive by Halloween, they say!!

Hannah (I like Le petit prince a lot) | 40 comments Hope it''s the book you're looking for!

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Fingers crossed for Playing Beatie Bow!

message 10: by Genesistrine (new)

Genesistrine | 401 comments Good luck!

Megan (meganlikeschips) | 4 comments THE BOOK ARRIVED. It's definitely Playing Beatie Bow. Thank you so much everyone! I remembered so little but that ponytail section was exactly as I remembered!!

message 12: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Awesome, thanks for the update!

message 13: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Great! Glad you found your book, Megan. Thanks for letting us know.